• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    Great advise

I have decided to go with a Mossberg 500 Persuader "Stand-Off" in 20 ga., 18.5" barrel. After some use with this gun it should be an easier step-up to the 12 ga. From all I hear, there isn't a lot of difference between the 12 or 20 when used for home defense, which will be my sole purpose. I am sure the 12 ga delivers more damage over all but the 20 will get it done well enough to halt an attack.
    Thanks for great advise to the shotgun newbie.
    Jim
    Military Camp

Darkwind

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Houston
    the Persuader has just a pistol grip standard, correct?

I used proper stance and winged up when qualifying with the 12 gauge, but being a bit of a recoil puss, I decided to shell out an extra bill for the Knoxx Specops stock. Now I can shoot 3 inch magnums all day long. Recoil feels a bit like a wood-stocked .308 bolter, but watch your cheek weld so the reciever doesn't smack you in the face.

jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    Knoxx loks good

I have researched Knoxx and it looks great especially with its recoil compresiion model. Whats the "front-end" for? I will most likely go with a Mossberg 500 or 590.

jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    the Persuader has just a pistol grip standard, correct?

I used proper stance and winged up when qualifying with the 12 gauge, but being a bit of a recoil puss, I decided to shell out an extra bill for the Knoxx Specops stock. Now I can shoot 3 inch magnums all day long. Recoil feels a bit like a wood-stocked .308 bolter, but watch your cheek weld so the reciever doesn't smack you in the face.

Being new to shotguns excusemu dumb questions. I assume "cheek weld" means how you place your cheek on the stock. Should the proper position be to place it fimly but not to apply pressure downward?

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    You really can't go too wrong with a Mossberg or a Remington. I buy used one's dirt cheap and convert them to serious SD weapons.

500A.jpg

WARHAWK357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a good chance your brother accidentally tripped both barrels together I'm not that big but I work with cattle and horses and can take a beating better than most but two barrels from a 10 gauge will knock you a good one. I would try starting with a 20 gauge and use 6 then 4 then 00 then go to a 12 gauge and do the same with the shot any of those shot sizes will drop a man if he happens to be wearing armor then the 00 will hurt plenty enough to make him drop that's a lot of force even from a 20. Good luck to you sir a good scatter gun is the best for home defense and I prefer the mossberg just my opinion

ETex2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Rowlett
    Like others have said - a light load, good heavy gun, and maybe add a recoil pad and you should have no problems. I've been shooting shotguns all my life - started out with a .410 when I was about 7 or 8. My dad LOVED to squirrel hunt back then. Got my first 12 gauge for my 14th birthday. I used to be a decent shot against clay targets and dove but it's been years for that. These days it's usually a snake or other undesirable critter that gets taken out by Remington 12 gauge pump.

I LOVE shooting them. In time maybe you will too.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I wouldn't trust those mini shells for HD. They'll be under-powered.

True, I agree, however they are great for training and getting over the fear of shotguns.

I use them to teach children to shoot shotguns.

Prime example of this is a 10 yr old girl afraid of her 410, shoots the tar out of the mini shells from a OU

jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    Shot It!

I replaced the stock on my 18" Mossberg with a Knoxx stock and started wit 2 3/4 shells. Glad I started there. The I moved to the 3" shells and now I am comfortable. The Knoxx stock makes a big difference when you are not shooting the 12ga. regularly. I do not hunt so the new stock relieves the fear of the recoil.

fnmedallion

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    haslet texas
    message about 10ga

a 10ga 3 1/2 duck or goose load will usually buckle alot of grown peoples knees so don't be too wary of 12ga field loads, they are miles apart in felt recoil

Robalero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Deep South Texas
    Just a thought, but have you thought of spending more and getting a semi. I too am an older guy, love my Remi's in 12, all semi's. My home is an 870, and I love the darn thing but it does kick quite a bit more than the semi's I use for dove, quail and skeet. I am on a waiting list for my 1100 tactical, can't wait to get mine. Good luck.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Shotgun fever

If you go to Red's then you can only shoot slugs. Slugs are the most recoil you will get out of a shotgun (for the most part). They have a Mossberg 500 at the South store, where I work.

Like jhilbun, I too am new to shotguns - but am interested in one for HD. A looked at a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 12GA, 18", Fixed cylinder version online. I see that Lone Star Gun Range has a tactical Rem 870 for rent...think that is a great idea before I start shopping. Will maybe try the Mossberg 500 as jhilbun and others have commented.

Any other ideas for 18" barreled "tactical" shotguns for those of us who may use in the house or occasional range visits. Great thread - thanks for starting it jhilbun.

aceeyeed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    MD
    Firearm Overload Aguila 12 Guage Minishells url moved

My site with the mossburg 500 mod that works has moved
    http://firearm.skidome.org

Thanks Aceeyeed

Look at the Aguila short shells.

They do not cycle through anything worth a damn but they are half load 1 3/4 length.
    The conversion for the 500 that will allow it to cycle the short shells is not hard to do.

Shells
    MidwayUSA - Aguila Minishell Ammunition 12 Gauge 1-3/4" 5/8 oz #7-1/2 Shot Box of 20
    Modification
    FIREARM OVERLOAD Aguila Minishell Mossberg 500 Modification

There are other less intrusive conversions out there

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    Aint nothing to it. I'm no shotgun pro or anything but, I have a few and have shot a box or three of shells in an outing. My name aint Hercules either.

You can get all kinds of butt pads to absorb recoil. Pistol grips help too. The recoil isn't so bad as to not be able to control the gun.

Maybe try a 16 or 20 gauge.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom