• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    I have owned and shot nearly every caliber of handgun available, however, I have NEVER shot a shot gun and, quite frankly it scares the dickens out of me.
    I saw my 10 yr old brother shoot a 10ga. double barrel and it knock him to the ground so I have been avoiding the guns.
    I want a HD shotgun of 18" or so but I am concerned about the recoil. I am 60 years old and don't need a fractured shouldered.
    Seems Mossberg is the way to go but how do I get over this fear? Is there a buck shot with less recoil that I should start with? Is there something I should do to the gun to reduce recoil? Does wood or synthetic reduce recoil?
    A novice needing help!
    DK Firearms

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Seems Mossberg is the way to go but how do I get over this fear?

Just go to wherever it is you buy ammo and get some 2.75in shells in 7.5/8/9 shot with the lowest DRAM EQ number on the box. Or the lowest OUNCE load if it doesn't list DRAM EQ.

You might come out of it ok. Then again you might not.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    It's more than the load you're pushing. .

Getting with an experienced shotgunner for some tips in stance and positioning will go a long way.

I mean, the police academies can train 100 pound women to shoot full out police shotties, and most of 'em do pretty well at it.

jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for advise

I did fail to mention that I am wanting a 12 ga. I guess I should go to my gun range and rent one and see if I can talk one of the guys to give me some basics, but I will start with the lighter loads.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I did fail to mention that I am wanting a 12 ga. I guess I should go to my gun range and rent one and see if I can talk one of the guys to give me some basics, but I will start with the lighter loads.

If you go to Red's then you can only shoot slugs. Slugs are the most recoil you will get out of a shotgun (for the most part). They have a Mossberg 500 at the South store, where I work.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Proper hold and stance will all but negate the recoil of a 12 ga. put the butt high in the shoulder, a little should extend above the shoulder. Firm cheek weld is a must. Your cheek should be pressed firmly against the stock. This way the gun and your head move together. If not the gun will jump up and bruise your cheek (if using heavy loads). Put your right foot (assuming you are right handed) slightly behind the left. The toes of your right foot should be about even with the arch of you left foot. Square your shoulders to the target and arch your back forward (flex the abs). Your body will roll upward with the recoil and back naturally.

The big key is to be "one with the gun" so you do not get hit by the gun.

We use reduced recoil buckshot (Remington or Federal) primarily because of the patterning. Traditional "full power" buckshot will spread at a rate of about 1"/yard. The reduced recoil buck spreads at a rate less than half that. Very tight patterns so BG gets all of it and little risk of strays hitting innocent bystanders.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I have owned and shot nearly every caliber of handgun available, however, I have NEVER shot a shot gun and, quite frankly it scares the dickens out of me.
    I saw my 10 yr old brother shoot a 10ga. double barrel and it knock him to the ground so I have been avoiding the guns.
    I want a HD shotgun of 18" or so but I am concerned about the recoil. I am 60 years old and don't need a fractured shouldered.
    Seems Mossberg is the way to go but how do I get over this fear? Is there a buck shot with less recoil that I should start with? Is there something I should do to the gun to reduce recoil? Does wood or synthetic reduce recoil?
    A novice needing help!

Must have pulled both triggers at the same time. Shotguns aren't that bad. They're great for Skeet shooting which is the only thing I use one for, other than breeching doors in the military with the Mossberg 500.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I got my first 12 gauge when I was 11 or 12. I never had a problem shooting it.

You just need to shoot one to get the mental image out of your mind. I can't say it's any different that a 30-30 for example, but then again, I got my first 30-30 at about 13 and at that age, you don't pay that close attention to details like recoil, just hitting what you aim at.

I've got a Mossberg with an 18" barrel I inherited year ago. I recently replaced the wood stock and forend with a Knoxx SpecOps stock and forend which has recoil control funtionality. I still have yet to shoot it but 'm hoping maybe this week I'll be able to. I can work the stock and see the "shock absorber" type compression so it's got to be eally easy on the shoulder. People swear by them.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    Since the requirement is HD ( = home defense), slugs or buckshot would be the ticket. The low recoil buck and slug loads have considerably lower recoil than the max loads, and less than many hunting (e.g., turkey or goose) loads. Think 1 oz at 1150-1250 fps where max is 1 oz at 1600 fps.

Keep the stock against your shoulder. If you fire a shotgun (or any larger caliber rifle) and the recoil drives it into your shoulder, it WILL hurt.

Well, he was 10 and it was 10ga not 12 and he may have set both barrels off. Guessing this was several years ago, so no video. ;)

Lee

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Pull in tight to the shoulder. Try to keep your head low and your feet with leading foot forward, left if your right handed and right if you are left handed. Bend slightly forward at the waist. Do not not try to totally control the recoil, roll with it . It doesnt hurt if you dont try to fight it. Dont get me wrong, it is going to kick. I dont remember the exact einstein quote but "every action equals an exact reaction". dont use 3.5 inch shells, and 3 inch will open your eyes. That is just my opinion. You may have to learn on your own as I did. It was a lot of fun and sometimes it did hurt. Whatever, master that shotty and you can pretty much fear nothing, like charging grizzlys rabbits and zombies. I am still trying to figure out the loads for ghost. Someone posted the other day that you had to have ghost ring sights

have fun and be safe

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    jhilbun, this weekend there will be an IDPA match at Cedar Ridge Range hosted by Mike from Texas Tactical, www.texastactical.net if you can make it out there there will be a shotgun side match that you can participate in, I'll even let you shoot my shottie and you can use my ammo as well.

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    . I dont remember the exact einstein quote but "every action equals an exact reaction".

It wasSir Isaac Newton who stated this and its exactly right just keep the shottytight in your shoulder buy one with a recoil absorbing buttplate.

Just remember to hold on.
    and for a word of encouragement British Infantry companies during the early 19th century had a man designated as the "shotgunner" the weopon they used was a 7 barrelled .50 caliber rifle with a brass butt plate. It was fromorly mounted on ships as a breach gun. So you have it easy

jhilbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for the advise

Great help and information. I am feeling more comfortable and most likely pursue the Mossberg 500. Thanks again.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I learned to shoot a 16 gauge when I was 11. It was a single shot. If I can handle it when I was only something like 80 lbs, you won't have any trouble with a 12 gauge.

You could also go with a 20 gauge. Not much recoil with that. Definitely useful for HD when you set it up properly. #4 buckshot is the minimum you should ever, for any reason, consider using for any defensive shooting.

R W

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    First time I ever fired was fired a shotgun (12g) (had fired nothing bigger than a 22 at that time) (over 44 years ago) was from the the back of a truck on a cold night it kicked badly.
    In later years I purchased a new H&R single shot that also was inclined to kick, didn't worry me when I was doing a fair amount of shooting.

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    jhilbun, this weekend there will be an IDPA match at Cedar Ridge Range hosted by Mike from Texas Tactical, www.texastactical.net if you can make it out there there will be a shotgun side match that you can participate in, I'll even let you shoot my shottie and you can use my ammo as well.

Thats a damn fine offer, and a great gesture. Makes me think there are still decent men in this world. Hope he takes you up on that.
    Dont want to hijack this thread, but I too wonder about the difference between Synthetic and Wood stocks. I've only shot wood stocks myself.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Synthetic (plastic) stocks are lighter and kick harder. Must have a firm grip up front. Wood makes the gun heavier to carry and maneuver, but not to an extreme. If you fail to keep the stock tight in your shoulder, a wood stock will punch you harder.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I don't know but I am a recoil addict.(Because I am only 22) but I am sure that the older I get the less I will enjoy a bruised shoulder.

Top Bottom