• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Military should know the answer. Welcome!
    Fence your place in and get some cows
    City boy.gif
    California cowboy.jpg
    Lynx Defense

mdf9183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    Welcome from Bastrop, Texas, I don't know about Lampasas Co. but Bastrop requires a min. of 5 acre lot to shoot on your property.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hello,

I'm new to TX. Military moved my family here and I'm living in Lampasas.

I bought a Mini 14 and a Wrangler as my first gun purchases. Not a fan of the AR platform.

Is backyard .22 shooting pretty common in TX?

Ah, another Mini-14 owner. There's only a few of us here. Wood furniture or synthetic? Mine's an early 80s vintage with a wood stock.

As for backyard shooting...depends on what county the backyard is and what (if any) restrictions there are. Make sure you've got one hell of a good backstop if it's legal to - you want to make sure it all stays in your backyard. Some counties have a minimum acreage requirement, so check and doublecheck. If you're inside a city (or even most small towns) don't do it, it's guaranteed to be illegal. Some cities even forbid shooting airguns in a back yard.

KZCafe

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2023
    Lampasas, TX
    What is it about the Mini -14 platform you prefer over the AR?

Welcome to TGT by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mainly the aesthetics. I have the wood stock. It's low profile as well in that it doesn't draw negative attention for being "too tactical".

KZCafe

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2023
    Lampasas, TX
    Could do a lot worse than a mini-14, but the AR is modular and versitile.

With a regular .223 AR,I can chang the barrel and maybe the bolt and have 300BO, 6.5 grendel, 458socom? And lots of others avaliable for use. Definitely value in the adaptability and inherent accuracy.

I love my mini-14 and its vool and fun to shoot, but the AR is unarguably a better design that beats the mini-14 in every area other than coolness.

As others pointed out, if you are in the city proper, shooting a firearm is a crime, even a 22. Get an PCP air gun and be smart about using it.

Where are you new to Texas from?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    It must be that coolness I like, haha. Really I like the aesthetics. ARs have a bad rap right now in the media and I prefer to steer away from the attention.

I'm not in city limits. Wasn't looking to shoot the mini 14 on my property, just a .22. The county sheriff said as long as the bullets stay on my property...

I'm military so moving all over. Originally from near Gettsyburg, PA.

KZCafe

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2023
    Lampasas, TX
    Ah, another Mini-14 owner. There's only a few of us here. Wood furniture or synthetic? Mine's an early 80s vintage with a wood stock.

As for backyard shooting...depends on what county the backyard is and what (if any) restrictions there are. Make sure you've got one hell of a good backstop if it's legal to - you want to make sure it all stays in your backyard. Some counties have a minimum acreage requirement, so check and doublecheck. If you're inside a city (or even most small towns) don't do it, it's guaranteed to be illegal. Some cities even forbid shooting airguns in a back yard.
    I've got a 2009 ranch rifle. I heard there were a few updates made for improved accuracy and reliability vs the 90s models.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've got a 2009 ranch rifle. I heard there were a few updates made for improved accuracy and reliability vs the 90s models.

Yeah, one of the first things I did with mine was buy and install an Accu-Strut. Which really seems to help. My son can ring saucer-sized steel at over 100 yards with it. That's about as accurate as I'll ever need. Now if only the magazines were cheaper...

Top Bottom