• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I would recommend the Austin Rifle Club, but it is a club with a membership process. Go to austinrifleclub.org and look over the process.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Semper Fi from San Marcos devildog!
    A great range nearby is Lone Star range in Lockhart. Also there are two Red's ranges in Austin, but sometimes they can get crowded.

The forum is actually doing a shoot up in Liberty Hill tomorrow (Sunday, Feb. 5th). If you can make it out, there'll be lots of fun, lots of shootin' and a great opportunity to meet a lot of other people on this site.

More info, time and address here:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...3-event-announcement-2-5-2012-botw-range.html
    We plan to be out there till about 5PM, in case you read this a bit late.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    And, though I mentioned ARC, I have also shot at Lone Star, great place, and Liberty Hill is an excellent range and NFA friendly. There are others a bit further out.

johnso21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    Georgetown, TX
    I like Astro's. BOTW is also good but they are more expensive. At BOTW it's $32 if you want to shoot on the rifle range and pistol. You can shoot rifle in the tactical bay but I think the longest bay is around 125 yds.

carlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    leander
    I live in Cedar Park/Leander and have only shot at Eagle Peak once. Was ok. Pretty strict with the rules maybe.
    But that's fine with me, then again I don't have anything to compare it to.

I am lucky enough to have a bud with 200+ acres where we do our shooting.

MikeX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Another vote for Lone Star in Lockhart (about 27 miles from where I live, a couple of miles south of downtown Austin). Good, friendly folks, $12/day pass; $100/year pass.

Best of the West is very good, but almost twice as far from my house as Lone Star is. Still, it is a fine outfit.

Red's is OK, but it is by the hour and it is often very crowded and always LOUD. Being an indoor range, that's to be expected.

Just my $.01.

Big Juice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    I live in North Austin, shot at Red's in Pflugerville (indoor) and yes they are busy and loud. Did my CHL at Lone Star in Lockhart and it is an easy, friendly place. I am going to try BOTW next time I go out to compare with Red's. Good luck with you and welcome.

atxgunguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Austin
    I live in Cedar Park/Leander and have only shot at Eagle Peak once. Was ok. Pretty strict with the rules maybe.
    But that's fine with me, then again I don't have anything to compare it to.

I am lucky enough to have a bud with 200+ acres where we do our shooting.
    My buddy and I mostly shoot at Eagle Peak. It's $10 for a lifetime membership, then another $10 to shoot all day (pistol, rifle, shotgun). The front office staff are a bit gruff, but the place ain't some day spa or Disneyland. Just pay the man, tell 'em what you want to shoot, and grab your targets. They are cash/check only when it comes to payment.

As for the range itself, it can get VERY crowded on weekend afternoons (especially if the weather's nice), so be prepared to wait for spot to open up or just come early or late. I've been there around dusk and pretty much had the rifle and pistol ranges to myself. I have also heard mid-week is great time if you want to avoid the crowds.

The range officers can and will be direct about rules violations, mostly dealing with going back to the benches during a ceasefire. As long as you obey the rules and can follow directions, you'll be fine. They are far from being Nazis, they are just there to make sure everyone goes home and aren't afraid to dish out safety warnings.

If you can get over some occasional ego bruising, $10 to shoot all day is a great deal.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Welcome! depends on where in austin you live and how far you wanna drive Reds is by the hour and indoor i would say reds if you can make it out there
    LOL, I drive from Schertz to Reds in South Austin. Been to Reds in Pflugerville once... b-in-l lives in North Austin. Reds, besides hourly rates, has 6 & 12 month memberships, which enables you to shoot as long as you want & need only pay for targets used. Yes, it can be loud but beats the outside elements involved with the outdoors. Just wear double hearing protection. I've found the Staff to always being professional & helpful.

Well worth the drive. The option to stop at Cabela's in Buda, right off IH35, is nice, too.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Lone Star in Lockhart or ARC are my first two choices. Niether range is going to win a beauty contest, but they are shooting ranges.

Top Bottom