• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    i have no time to take it to the range. id rather just get rid of it now. besides, i dont like the idea of having guns in the house with kids. we are well protected without guns as it is. IM A NINJA YO!!!

you should educate your children about firearms, teach them to respect weapons, then you wont have to worry.
    Guns International

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    How old are your kids? I grew up in a house with guns and there were zero incidents. The key with kids is to demystify. My parents started with me at a very young age. Tell them not to even think about touching it without permission, but with permission, you'll take a gun out to look at and handle (safely and under your control, of course) and suddenly it's not the mysterious thing that they have to get into.

Store it unloaded (it's not a home defensive arm anyway), store it separate from ammo, and keep them out of reach. For the love of Pete, don't use a trigger lock - they're actually dangerous to install.

Safety - there are four basic rules.

1: Always treat guns as though they were loaded. "Unloaded" guns kill people.

2: Never point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

3: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire.

4: Be aware of what's beyond your target. Where is the bullet going to stop? FYI, two layers of drywall aren't going to stop a bullet. A "safe direction" in a home is usually down toward the floor on the bottom story.

Even if you don't keep the gun, you'll need to know and follow these to keep it safely in your house until you get rid of it. Children really aren't ever too young to start learning about guns. My niece is 6 and has a .22 and pellet gun. Her half brother got his first gun (a youth-sized .22) at the same age, and I'm sure my nephew will follow. I plan on buying the kids AR15s when they get big enough, probably in their teens.

If you need any help, send me a PM and I'd be happy to send you my phone number so we can chat. If you do decide to get a gun, I'd be more than happy to give you any (and as many) lessons you think you need.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    ... shit, i barley know anything myself.

Yeah, we gathered that. I think it was the "Ninja" line.

See, here's one of the many reasons to teach kids - and teach them early on - about guns: Your kids are at someone else's house. One of their kids pulls out Daddy's gun and starts showing off with it. Kids who haven't been taught anything will join in (because that's the way kids are). Kid's who have LEARNED about guns will say, "That's not a toy and it's not safe to point it at anybody", then they go tell an adult. (NRA refers to that as the Eddie Eagle Program.)

Personally, if I was you're F-in-law, I'd be pretty insulted that you accepted a gift and then sold it. I suspect that future gifts will be substantially discounted.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Texasjack makes a good point. In high school, a girl a few grades behind me was hanging out with some friends when one of the them found a handgun. Not knowing anything about guns, the tard pointed the handgun at her and said "bang!" And then the gun said the same thing.

Sucks seeing someone in a wheelchair before she's even learned to drive... If smart boy had been taught about guns from a young age he wouldn't have done that. If the other kids had been taught the way I'd been taught, nobody would have been hurt. As it was, one girl became a quadraplegic and the kid who pulled the trigger had to move to a different town because he suddenly became very accident prone.

emilbus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    san antonio, tx
    that was all some great advice, but to the guy who commented about selling a "gift". it was not a gift in the sense that he wanted me to hold on to it and cherish it. he actually had some sort of epiphany(sp?) and rid of all his guns. he did/ does not care what happens to them as long as they are out of the house.

to the other guy... my oldest is two so i still have a few more years, but once i feel they are ready i will def teach them safe practices.

oh, i sold the gun today for what i thought was a steal. i was asking 450.00, but was offered 400.00 which i accepted.

Top Bottom