• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    A few questions from a "newbie" ...I have a Colt LE AR .223/5.56 & a DPMS LR 308. What are the essential tools needed for general maintenance and basic modifications such as, suppressor install & trigger upgrade ? I already have the tool for the sliding ring & have successfully upgraded the forearm on both guns. The suppressor I am considering (after reading & studying for the last week & still finding more choices....geeez) is the AAC 7.62-SDN-6 + 51T for the .308 & .223. I plan on sharing the can between the two until I can save up few more peso's......I have a few punches & a brass/plastic hammer, a couple of torque wrenches (ft/lb & in/lb) and other general hand tools as well as a couple of vises & a drill press, files, allen wrenches (standard & metric), and the list goes on. I have looked on several websites i.e. Midway, Brownells, and others looking at upper & lower holding devices, armors wrenches, jigs for this & jigs for that......:facepalm:

Any and all comments & suggestions will be greatly appreciated.......
    Military Camp

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Really, all you need for most things is a punch and a rubber or brass hammer. Depending on your grip, you may need a screw driver or something else, but I haven't ever seen anything too specific for that. hex key set and screw drivers should do the job.

You also need a wrench for the castle nut, but there's plenty of AR tools all on one wrench. (Not too expensive to pick up.)

For barrel installation, you need to check headspace and use a torque wrench, but that's about as complicated as it gets. That's really only if you are going to be building or fiddling with putting on new barrels. (And honestly, it's probably cheaper to go to a gunsmith if you aren't going to be installing barrels a decent amount of times.

I would also get a block for your vice, makes putting the lower on that and working easier... but certainly not NECESSARY, just very handy.

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks for the info OnyxATX, I really don't plan on doing any barrel changes, when the time comes for that, as you suggest, I'll be looking for a good gunsmith. I'll be getting a block for the lowers of both rifles & maybe a upper block as well.

Thanks again.......
    KK

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Thanks for the info OnyxATX, I really don't plan on doing any barrel changes, when the time comes for that, as you suggest, I'll be looking for a good gunsmith. I'll be getting a block for the lowers of both rifles & maybe a upper block as well.

Thanks again.......
    KK

No need to on the AR platform. They're quite simple to do. It's almost "plug and play". "Hardest" part is lining up the gas tube, and even that isn't hard.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    There are some legit YouTube videos that are really helpful.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

Top Bottom