• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    want one for a 308 and one for 45acp. i'm assuming i can load subsonic for both. you say the rifles are loud still. at which end? firing line or downrange.

.45acp are normally subsonic anyway. Anything less than 1100 or so feet per second. 9mm 147 grain bullets can work as well. CCI .22 standard velocity are too. When you download a rifle cartridge to subsonic speeds, you lose a lot of what you want a rifle for. Just my opinion. Unless you just need a short range quiet rifle.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    people have more than 5??

5e5dcab4599f9038795e906476133e48.jpg

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Silencer Shop is the easiest way to buy especially if you use one of their kiosks. They make it easy by keeping the prints & photos on file.

Most of my stuff came from Helotes Tactical Firearms. A friend of mine handles their NFA stuff so I use them.

I have a trust w/ several members of my family on it which makes every purchase a PITA these days. Lots of signatures, photos, and prints. Unless/until I have cash for a MG I am done.

Fred Casillas, an attorney is SA, did my trust for me. 210-764-7444.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    depends on how much quieter subsonic is on my ears than standard loads. our pig shooting is at close range.
    I haven't tried a 308 yet but in other rifle & pistol calibers it doesn't make a huge difference. You lose the sonic crack. It's noticeable but not huge.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i only have one other person on my trust, the NFA one. he will stop by SS next week and do the prints and pic, everything else is done. oh, and signing 3 times on notary papers. should take about 10 minutes. no one else in the family is interested. so the trust will own the silencers, consisting of him and me, meaning i don't have to be present, close by, etc etc when he wants to use em. he has as much right to em as i do. yea right, i paid for it all so he is gonna BEG for me to hand em over. i just need to find a reasonable, compatant smith now to do fitting on a commander and a full size 1911 drop in threaded bbls, and thread a ruger american or two. i may save up and get a tac 308, which i've been wanting for a long time anyways.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I haven't tried a 308 yet but in other rifle & pistol calibers it doesn't make a huge difference. You lose the sonic crack. It's noticeable but not huge.

As I understand it, the purpose of the suppressor is to suppress as much of the muzzle blast as possible.

If there is a sonic crack, that is because the bullet is traveling faster than the speed of sound and that happens past the suppressor.

So for most that want as close to silent as possible they use subsonic ammunition so there is no sonic crack.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    As I understand it, the purpose of the suppressor is to suppress as much of the muzzle blast as possible.

If there is a sonic crack, that is because the bullet is traveling faster than the speed of sound and that happens past the suppressor.

So for most that want as close to silent as possible they use subsonic ammunition so there is no sonic crack.

Correct. I'm just saying the OP is going to be disappointed if he expects a world of difference between sub & supersonic loads. At a practical level there isn't much difference.

If you want as close to silents as possible focus on the quality of the can.

If you want it really quiet use a bolt action or other single shot. The sound of the semi-auto action contributes to the overall noise.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Yes my .22 semi auto pistol is much louder than my bolt action .22 rifle with the same can on both. The rifle goes click then pfft. The SA pistol, some of the blast comes out as the action cycles and is still pretty quiet (no ear protection needed) but much louder than the bolt action. Even the 9mm and .45 with the proper rounds are pretty quiet comparatively speaking. But they still produce a blast. You may or may not want to still use some kind of ear protection.

A silenced .45acp carbine might be a better choice and could still use the silencer you use for your pistol(s), like mine. Good out to about 60 yards with 300-400+ ft. lbf all the way. A $400 or so carbine is a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than a new can for a high powered rifle and you have to download for.

This is my .45acp MechTech Glock 21 version. Uses Glock mags. 13 round up to 40 round rotary. Pretty quiet. That can works for all my 9mm and .45acp pistols as well.

PYQ67gx.gif

Here is are YouTube examples:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom