• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I find it ironic that those who jump at the chance to use their CHL as normal I'D on the one hand, but on the other not be courteous to LE and show their CHL when stopped.

In my opinion, such behavior is frankly unbecoming of a CC holder.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Back to the original question. Does the issuing non resident permit remain valid with an out of state change in residence? Do you have to notify them and get a license with the correct current address? I should think that you need to check with the issuing authorities.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Back to the original question. Does the issuing non resident permit remain valid with an out of state change in residence? Do you have to notify them and get a license with the correct current address? I should think that you need to check with the issuing authorities.

I have heard stories of cops threatening to arrest people with an old address on their CHL. My AZ CWP has no address printed on it so I have no experience with that particular threat.

This brings up an interesting hypothetical I've never seen addressed- what if someone has more than one address? What if they spend half their time in one state and half in another? City? Street?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If you have a handgun on or about your person you are required to display your CHL whenever a Peace Officer demands that you identify yourself. If your handgun is located here you can reach it it is about your person. Simply taking it off of your body does not relieve you of your requirment to display the CHL.

The good news is there is no penalty for failing to comply, except alienating the guy who can choose not to ticket you.

So if I don't have my license on me, then none of this applies, correct??

Every state has their own rules. With Florida, you just need to submit the change online. If you choose to have the address changed on the actual license, you need to submit a small fee for a new one to be issued.

Slashhavoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Every state has their own rules. With Florida, you just need to submit the change online. If you choose to have the address changed on the actual license, you need to submit a small fee for a new one to be issued.

Good to know. I will need to do this...

BTW - I sat through the TX CHL class this weekend and picked up many good things. The clarification on premises as well as the 51% and proper 30.06 signage was beneficial. My instructor was still insistent that we can't have a gun in a post office parking lot, even though I nicely tried to tell him to update his facts...

Now to schedule my qualifications...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

BTW - I sat through the TX CHL class this weekend and picked up many good things. The clarification on premises as well as the 51% and proper 30.06 signage was beneficial. My instructor was still insistent that we can't have a gun in a post office parking lot, even though I nicely tried to tell him to update his facts...

What makes you think post office parking lots are not off limits?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

Beware TX is a little heavy-handed when it comes to suspending CHLs. I got a notice to appear for a fistfight I got in with two gangbangers downtown- the charge was a mere "Disorderly conduct." To paraphrase, the letter told me "If you have a TX CHL it is now suspended until the charges are dismissed or you complete the terms of your sentence."

Whew. Glad mine's not from Texas! So I got to still carry legally.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station

My FL non-res doesnt have the address on it. They have the address on file if you call them using the number on the back of the card but there is no address on the card itself.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Beware TX is a little heavy-handed when it comes to suspending CHLs. I got a notice to appear for a fistfight I got in with two gangbangers downtown- the charge was a mere "Disorderly conduct." To paraphrase, the letter told me "If you have a TX CHL it is now suspended until the charges are dismissed or you complete the terms of your sentence."

Whew. Glad mine's not from Texas! So I got to still carry legally.

Disorderly conduct is specified as a misdemeanor that makes one ineligible for a CHL if convicted. It is also an offense listed in 411 of the Government Code as requiring a suspension of your CHL if you are charged with that offense.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I had a cop pull me over a few weeks ago (expired registration) and tell me if he caught me carrying in public with my AZ permit it was a misdemeanor. I corrected him but he didn't want to hear it and said "Have a nice day" then walked off while I was still talking. Beware.

I can tell you from experience having an AZ CWP does seem to tell cops they hooked a fish they want to throw back. TX DPS publishes the conviction rates of TX CHL holders. The numbers are extremely low (CHL holders actually commit less crimes than police) and a lot of them know that. It is basically a de facto "I'm a good guy" card issued by the state. Even though mine is from AZ they know the deal.

I was pulled over (6 years ago) in West Texas by a Trooper after I passed a slow moving vehicle. He was fishing. He walked up with the usual what were you doing blah blah blah and when I said I was just trying to stay out of trouble he came back with a sharp "Well you're in trouble now!". I handed him my DL and CHL and his tone took a 180. No ticket (I hadn't broken any laws), no warning, handed back my ID's and sent us on our way.

I have many more stories about my "contact" with the law lol

Go get your Texas CHL.

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    Failure to ID is not being discussed here, so I am confused. Was your post a question or statement?

If you have a handgun on or about your person you are required to display your CHL whenever a Peace Officer demands that you identify yourself. If your handgun is located here you can reach it it is about your person. Simply taking it off of your body does not relieve you of your requirment to display the CHL.

The good news is there is no penalty for failing to comply, except alienating the guy who can choose not to ticket you.

I guess what I am asking, is if failure to ID can be made a penalty.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I guess what I am asking, is if failure to ID can be made a penalty.

I think the point some are saying is that, since they are going to see that you have a TX CHL and you don't identify yourself as such, you are probably going to get the ticket rather then not. So the only penalty I see is being punished for the infraction you actually committed and not being let go on it.

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    I think the point some are saying is that, since they are going to see that you have a TX CHL and you don't identify yourself as such, you are probably going to get the ticket rather then not. So the only penalty I see is being punished for the infraction you actually committed and not being let go on it.

No I get that, Txinvestigator said their is no penalty for choosing to not show your CHL. I guess a better question, is why does it not fall under failure to ID. I don't have a problem handing it over in a traffic stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    TXI said....lol. Why rely on others when you can read the law yourself. Simon says...just show your CHL to the law enforcement officer and everything will be fine even though there's no penalty for not showing your CHL. Why be disrespectful. Just show the LEO the CHL and there is a chance you might get out of the ticket. I am amazed how adamant some folks want to use their CHL for normal I'D to impress but go butt hurt when it comes to showing the CHL to a LEO. Go figure.

Top Bottom