• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TXI said....lol. Why rely on others when you can read the law yourself. Simon says...just show your CHL to the law enforcement officer and everything will be fine even though there's no penalty for not showing your CHL. Why be disrespectful. Just show the LEO the CHL and there is a chance you might get out of the ticket. I am amazed how adamant some folks want to use their CHL for normal I'D to impress but go butt hurt when it comes to showing the CHL to a LEO. Go figure.

He didn't ask what you think he should do. He is interested in the law.
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No I get that, Txinvestigator said their is no penalty for choosing to not show your CHL. I guess a better question, is why does it not fall under failure to ID. I don't have a problem handing it over in a traffic stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because it doesn't. Fail to ID has nothing to do with showing a CHL.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    He didn't ask what you think he should do. He is interested in the law.

And like I said the.law says there is no penalty for failing to show CHL, but prudence dictates be courteous and show LEO the CHL. You may save money. I know these things.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, you've said in another post you would ticket someone and send them on their way after chastising their courteous actions during a traffic stop which probably saved him from a ticket. . Now you raise hell because someone stayed the actual law and not an opinion.

You came to this thread all hung up on CHL for ID and obviously looking for an argument because you made 2 nearly identical posts poking at it. Didn't work so you switched gears.

As far as knowing things; you have many opinions which you obnoxiously spout and refuse to support. You refuse to give any real information to support all of your supposed experience, and refuse to say anything about your current training which is pretty strange as most are happy to say who they are and where they train, generally because they have nothing to hide.

You have no credibility here.

TXIs posts are valued because he does not insert his opinion, he only states what the laws are and will site his sources. It seems you are bothered by our trust of someone who has time and time again been a source of accurate information (even if he aggravates the hell out if us at times). So yes "TXI said" and TXI sourced, and TXI is almost always correct when it comes to Texas law. Any disagreement is simply interpretation and does not happen often.

But please, continue this charade. It will be fun to watch.

:popcorn:

Ok, I'm ready.

Last edited:

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Lol, you've said in another post you would ticket someone and send them on their way after chastising their courteous actions during a traffic stop which probably saved him from a ticket. . Now you raise hell because someone stayed the actual law and not an opinion.

You came to this thread all hung up on CHL for ID and obviously looking for an argument because you made 2 nearly identical posts poking at it. Didn't work so you switched gears.

As far as knowing things; you have many opinions which you obnoxiously spout and refuse to support. You refuse to give any real information to support all of your supposed experience, and refuse to say anything about your current training which is pretty strange as most are happy to say who they are and where they train, generally because they have nothing to hide.

You have no credibility here.

TXIs posts are valued because he does not insert his opinion, he only states what the laws are and will site his sources. It seems you are bothered by our trust of someone who has time and time again been a source of accurate information (even if he aggravates the hell out if us at times). So yes "TXI said" and TXI sourced, and TXI is almost always correct when it comes to Texas law. Any disagreement is simply interpretation and does not happen often.

But please, continue this charade. It will be fun to watch.

:popcorn:

Ok, I'm ready.

Just show your CHL and you will be fine. That's all I am saying. Be courteous. As to your other commentary and rants, you make no sense. But, read the.law and not rely on others. That way you will learn. Have a good evening.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So, according to you not trusting someone who refuses to support anything they say, and trusting someone who can site their claims makes no sense?

Interesting.

Ignoring things won't make them go away. You need to look at yourself and admit to your flaws or they will never be corrected. I think you may be suffering from some delusions and I want you to know that help IS available if you only accept it.

Last edited:

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    I know the context seems to be "when pulled over"... Not concerned with when the office already knows I have it. I am typical skeptical of random stops or random door knocks until I have reason to no longer be skeptical. I have the right to refuse in normal situations for a very good reason, that doesn't always seem evident until you have been accused of something you didn't do. It cost a lot of money to be innocent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjminch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    I have an AZ CHL as well. Never felt the need to change it, no sense paying for the extra course and going through the hassle. I've never been stopped by TX LEO but in AZ I always showed my CHL without being asked. Seemed to make it go much easier.

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    You may carry in Texas on those licenses as long as they remain valid.

Sorry to bring this back up but can you please cite the law for this being legal? The guy I'm taking my TX CHL class from on Saturday told me that once I establish residency in TX, I have to stop carrying on my Colorado CHL. The only thing I could find in the regs that I think touches on this was 411.173 and all that says is that Texas will setup a process for people to get their license if they're moving in from out of state (but aren't yet resident, if I read that correctly). I didn't see a citation for an out of state license remaining valid until expiration.

I'm not trying to be a twit. I'm just trying to ensure I stay within the law so I don't lose my ability to get my TX CHL for something simple.

In addition, my CO CHL has my old CO address on it. Does that affect my ability to carry? CO won't issue me a license with a TX address on it so my CO CHL will always read the last address I had in CO. For now that's fine I think because I haven't yet gotten my TX DL.

FWIW - I asked these questions of DPS directly and all I got was a response saying that my CO training course was not sufficient to bypass the TX training requirement for a TX CHL. Good to know they were paying attention to the actual question I asked :)

Thanks y'all.

MCA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Priddy, TX
    I understand that, but my guess is that the underlying question is whether or not a resident CHL/CWP/CCP issued by a state that I'm no longer a resident of is still valid. The expiration date on my SC CWP is not until 2017 - but it has my old SC residence on it as my address which perhaps obviously is not the same as my TX address. I do have my TX DL, so I'm a bit concerned as to whether or not the SC CWP would still be considered valid.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I understand that, but my guess is that the underlying question is whether or not a resident CHL/CWP/CCP issued by a state that I'm no longer a resident of is still valid. The expiration date on my SC CWP is not until 2017 - but it has my old SC residence on it as my address which perhaps obviously is not the same as my TX address. I do have my TX DL, so I'm a bit concerned as to whether or not the SC CWP would still be considered valid.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Some states issue non-resident specific permits. Other states issue the same permit for resident and non-resident. You just need to check with your issuing state to verify if your permit is still valid. But so long as its a valid permits its still good to carry on.

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    Sgt, good advice to check with the issuing state. I found the answer for Colorado. From a Sheriff's office in Boulder, CO:

"Colorado only allows for resident permits, so unfortunately, once you obtain a Texas Driver’s License, the Colorado permit will be invalid. There is no grace period- sorry!"

DamnYankee76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Blanco
    I know that my CT permit goes from resident to non-resident as soon as you notify them that you moved (which you must do within 48 hrs). It stays valid as long as you renew. My first renewal is coming up in Jan.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MCA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Priddy, TX
    Just a follow up on my own post about a South Carolina CWP. SLED said that the permit remains valid only as long as I own property in SC. So, since my house is still for sale there my permit is still good - but once the house sells it's no longer valid. Guess I've got to get cracking on taking the TX CHL course and application!

Top Bottom