• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvrrat14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Central Texas
    Got an M1 Garand (actually have two, but can't part with both) and was thinking of selling for either
    1. M1A
    or
    2. AR-15 M4

The M4 would allow my kids to start shooting a smaller caliber/stock, but I have a 223 bolt gun now.

Your thoughts.......

thanks!
    DK Firearms

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Tough choice... I personally would probably keep both the M1A's... and later down the road if you want an AR I'd suggest picking one up in 6.8 SPC. That's just my bias though, not a big fan of the .223

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would buy an AR. They are very easy to shoot and a lot of fun. .223 is by no means cheap anymore, but it's less expensive than .308.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Howdy and welcome. Glad you came by here.

I have a question for you, though. How old are your kids now? I would think of getting a Ruger 10/22 if your kids are still real young, but if a little older, then an AR might be a good choice.

Here's another option you might want to consider. If your kids are old enough to handle centerfire weapons, you might consider the M1A SOCOM. Still shoots .308, but has no recoil at all. Okay, maybe just a little, but VERY little recoil. But no doubt that the AR is more versatile, in that you can choose all types of barrels and stocks and grips and all the other. The M1A platform does not have as many choices for customizing.

Or, you might want to think about a Mini 14. Looks kinda like a M1A but is in .223 cal. I also hear that the new version of the Mini is much more accurate than the older models.

Hope this helps you out some.

rvrrat14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Central Texas
    Thanks!

I have an M1 Garand, not M1A.

My boy is 8 and he shoots a 20 ga. ok. I have not let him shoot my 223 Ruger target yet.

The M4 gives him a shorty stock to shoot with........The M1A is too heavy, but he could grow into it I guess....

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Sig 556 or AR.I like the AR platform because of all the accessories that are available.

rvrrat14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Central Texas
    If you know anyone interested in a Springfield M1 Garand from the CMP; 1942 model, PM me......clean and shoots very good!

thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom