• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    For years the wife & I did a picnic in the living room on New Years eve. A couple of different cheeses, pate, salamis, crackers & fruit. I mentioned I though we needed to do something different this year. My plan is a 4 inch thick porterhouse steak. She really liked the pot roast from a couple of weeks ago and asked for that. I decided on the porterhouse because they are $2.00 a pound cheaper then a chuck roast.

As a kid growing up my parents never did the meal for good luck in the following year. I never even heard of it until I started cutting meat. Over they years together we have ate all kinds of new years meat for luck & prosperity. I really didn't plan anything for New Years day, but have a cabbage & was going to do it different then I normally do.

I guess I need to get my ass to the store or I'll never get my porterhouse roast!
    Hurley's Gold

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Using the bone from the shank I smoked at Christmas to make some beans plus some fried taters in garlic, onion and sausage.

We did the good luck black eyed peas growing up...but we were always on the poor side. Wife can't stand peas so I haven't had them for New Years day in 35 years or so.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Lasagna and stuffed shells. The ham from X-mas dinner will be bean soup by mid week.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well, the Lord has blessed us, with being able to get by for another year. The wife and I have been carrying on a family tradition that both of our families have done as far back as we both can remember, cabbage and black-eyed peas on New Year's day dinner.

So, we are cooking the peas with the smoked ham bone from Thanksgiving in the slow cooker, doing fried cabbage with onions, soft-fried potatoes with onions, stuffed pork chops and cornbread.

Fair warning, it's going to get a might gassy in East Texas!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    As a kid growing up my parents never did the meal for good luck in the following year. I never even heard of it until I started cutting meat. Over they years together we have ate all kinds of new years meat for luck & prosperity. I really didn't plan anything for New Years day, but have a cabbage & was going to do it different then I normally do.

I guess I need to get my ass to the store or I'll never get my porterhouse roast!

I never heard of such a tradition... so I guess I'll still be chomping down ham sammiches from the spiral cut ham I cooked for last Sat's Christmas dinner. (I also had traditional clam chowder on Christmas Eve, and Coffee Nudges, several, on Christmas morn, but skipped the traditional bagels, lochs, and cheese for bkfst.) Bought some bottles of champagne for NY eve and NY day... that's my only NY tradition. It's for damn sure I won't be watching PigPen or whatever that jerk's name is jump around while the ball drops, and for triple-dog sure I won't be watching any phuckin football games where the players kneel during the anthem!!!

I don't have any black-eyed peas... but I do have some pinto beans and a hamhock. Might even have some Anasazi beans on hand. I could do that. If I'm not too smashed. With some cornbread. Maybe some sweet tea like I had this morning. Go Splenda!!! ;)

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    bbbass,

I do like your plan and nope, never going to watch another nfl game - including the super commode...

Bagels, lox and cheese...dee-lish-ous!

Brings out the Jew in me...wait, a reformed Jew...OK, a Catholic...no a Protestant...wait, alright an atheist, but I still like the Jewish food...

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Does anyone has a nice neighbor who will bring your doggie treats? Have you ever found a bag of assorted cookies? Have you ever ate a couple of those cookie? Did those cookies taste good?

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    How is it that I get the impression, that your dog can read better than you?
    You sensed that too? When he was a little puppy he would trip on the sock we used for tug of war. He put it down , folded it twice and trotted off. I have accepted that I am the number three in the family and let my wife and him battle it out who is smarter.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You sensed that too? When he was a little puppy he would trip on the sock we used for tug of war. He put it down , folded it twice and trotted off. I have accepted that I am the number three in the family and let my wife and him battle it out who is smarter.

Coop, look at the bright side, you have thumbs so your dog will always need you to open the bag of doggie treats for him!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Using the bone from the shank I smoked at Christmas to make some beans plus some fried taters in garlic, onion and sausage.

We did the good luck black eyed peas growing up...but we were always on the poor side. Wife can't stand peas so I haven't had them for New Years day in 35 years or so.

dsgrey,

Up in far NETX where I was born & raised, the superstition is that IF you have black-eyed peas on New Years Day that you will have them all year.

For that SPECIFIC reason, I actively avoid eating them, as I despise black-eyed peas.

Later today, it will be GREEN CHICKEN CURRY (Thai HOT/SPICY) over rice.
    (I may just start a rumor about having THAI-HOT CURRY on NYD!!!)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom