• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcbaggie04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    hey guys, rather new to the forum as well as shooting. I love going to the range and am hopelessly addicted now. I currently have a sig 229 in .40 S&W that I got used from a friend and I really like it. I have been wanting something smaller that has less recoil to it than the .40 though to shoot as well. I had another sig in mind I liked but it was sold before I could make a move on it. it was a sig p225 9mm, and since i missed out on it i had researched and found another which is close to the p225 i liked but still in production, the p239. I am not stuck completely on sigs, as I am a newbie but I do like the one I have so naturally... So tell me your thoughts on the two i mentioned as well as others that would fit the mold for a good 9mm pistol.
    thanks guys,
    :1zhelp:
    Military Camp

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    9mm will be the way to go for softer recoil. In the 9mm platform I like the Glock 19, Springfield Armory XD9, S&W M&P9, and pretty much all Sigs in 9mm form the P239 (smallest single stack they offer), P226 (larger frame size), P225/P6 (single stack comparable in size to the P229), P228 and P229 (both double stacks). One option that is available is getting a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel for your current P229 and then getting a couple of P229 9mm mags and shooting both .40s&w and 9mm out of the same gun with a simple barrel swap. Just another option for you.

ETA: I forgot to mention they call the Bar-Sto a semi-drop in because 70% of the time it drops in and performs flawlessly without any fitting. If you go this route and it doesn't work that way for you, they will fit it for you, all you have to do is send the barrel back along with your slide. This used to be a free service and I believe it still is but don't quote me on that.

here's a link for you:
    Bar-Sto Precision Machine

My personal choice would be the conversion option for yours or the Sig P226 since I like large framed guns. If my preferences leaned to the smaller side I would choose the P239 after the conversion option. If you really just want another gun (which makes perfect sense to me) I would go Sig period. Of course my last purchase was a G19 so what do I know?

2Many

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Dripping Springs, TX
    You may also want to check out the Sig SP2022. It is a polymer frame and gets great reviews. I really like mine. Academy has them at a pretty reasonable price.

jcbaggie04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    thanks guys, I went by my local shop and looked some of them over again, still interested in the 225 and 239, but the xd is a really nice gun as well. I need to check out a cz. I have only heard good things but never shot one. appreciate all the advice out there!!

jcbaggie04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    *update* Thanks to everyone for the advice. I was down to the sigs and an xd and found a great deal on a p239 that I couldn't pass up. I'll post a pic as soon as i can.

Top Bottom