• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2019
    Dallas
    Howdy all. I'm a 50 year old with no drivers license (by choice) who wants to buy a gun. I've lived abroad for many years and my license expired years ago. I do have a valid passport with a Texas address. I'm looking to buy a shotgun for home protection. Will they sell me a gun w/o a D.L? What about getting my ccl? Thanks Larry
    Guns International

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to the Forum!.

Sorry, can't answer your question.

ETA: Are you a felon?
    Can you legally own a gun to the best of your knowledge?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    From that document:
    The transferee/buyer must provide a valid government-issued photo identification document to the transferor/seller that contains the transferee's/buyer's name, residence address, and date of birth. A driver's license or an identification card issued by a State in place of a license is acceptable.
    So a Texas DL is acceptable. Nothing on there says it's mandatory.

I'm looking at my passport right now. It meets all the criteria laid out in the instructions for proper identification EXCEPT it does not have my residence address.

Passport only is a no-go unless the information on a passport has changed in the almost 10 years since my last renewal.

There are instructions for supplemental documentation that may apply.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    From that document:
    So a Texas DL is acceptable. Nothing on there says it's mandatory.

I'm looking at my passport right now. It meets all the criteria laid out in the instructions for proper identification EXCEPT it does not have my residence address.

Passport only is a no-go unless the information on a passport has changed in the almost 10 years since my last renewal.

There are instructions for supplemental documentation that may apply.
    I haven't found an FFL yet that will sell without a state issued ID.

I guess I should have said 'should'. All the FFL's I know require one, mainly to prove state residency.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    From the same document:
    Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification presented. ... A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address.
    (Example text, confusing in this context, is omitted.)

From that, it looks like a passport could be used to establish name and date of birth but some other document would be needed to establish a residential address. Given the unwillingness of many FFLs to do anything unusual, it might be more difficult to buy with a passport and supplemental documents but it should technically be possible.

Of course, technically it's possible (at least it used to be) to do a 4473 through the mail and have a dealer mail a gun directly to you but how many of us know dealers who are willing to go through that procedure?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    From the same document:
    (Example text, confusing in this context, is omitted.)

From that, it looks like a passport could be used to establish name and date of birth but some other document would be needed to establish a residential address. Given the unwillingness of many FFLs to do anything unusual, it might be more difficult to buy with a passport and supplemental documents but it should technically be possible.

Of course, technically it's possible (at least it used to be) to do a 4473 through the mail and have a dealer mail a gun directly to you but how many of us know dealers who are willing to go through that procedure?
    LOL, good luck.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    LOL, good luck.
    Yeah, that about sums it up. Byrd666 just posted the obvious solution just upthread.

The most interesting thing about all this is that my address isn't on my passport and the State Department web site is quite clear that a change in residence address doesn't require a new passport. There's no facsimile of a passport book that I can find on their site but the picture of a passport card clearly shows it does not have a residence address on it.

Yet the OP says he has a passport with his address on it? Something doesn't compute, here.

Hey, Trebek, could you please have a look at your passport and confirm for us that it actually has a residential address on it? And is the cover blue?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Yeah I might have to go the used route. Not sure which is the best venue to buy used guns locally.?

Probably the gun show out in Mesquite. I haven't lived up that way in quite a while so, I'm really just guessing. I'm sure others that live more local know better than me.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah, that about sums it up. Byrd666 just posted the obvious solution just upthread.

The most interesting thing about all this is that my address isn't on my passport and the State Department web site is quite clear that a change in residence address doesn't require a new passport. There's no facsimile of a passport book that I can find on their site but the picture of a passport card clearly shows it does not have a residence address on it.

Yet the OP says he has a passport with his address on it? Something doesn't compute, here.

Hey, Trebek, could you please have a look at your passport and confirm for us that it actually has a residential address on it? And is the cover blue?
    I believe to get a DL you also need other documents to prove state residency with a passport. A passport can be issued to noncitizens that are in the US legally.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom