Guns International

Newbie question - Why is a .22 semi-auto rifle desirable if a .22 pistol is weak?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I don't want to be shot with a BB gun either but don't advocate it as a SD caliber.

Which reminds me. I was watching some German dude on Youtube with a slingshot obsession. I actually wouldn't feel too poorly armed with a proper slingshot. Really though, I think if confronted with one combatant and that combatant is within a reasonable distance, I'd rather have a good knife than a .22 - If six shots of .38 special weren't enough to stop a drug-crazed Moro, I'd rather not take my chances with a smaller caliber.

Doc007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Austin
    I have seen more than one DOA from a 22. That being said it usually takes several minutes for them to expire and I would agree that a larger caliber with stopping power will end an attack more quickly especially if it is to a non vital area.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    A nice thing about the .22 auto pistols. You can get them with the same functionality of your larger carry weapons. Therefore drills and training can be done on what was ( and hopefully will be again ) the much cheaper .22 round. Another advantage, the wide variety of .22 rounds you can purchase. Why? glad you asked, I have a Ruger Mk III, when I load it for training, I take a mix of high quality as well as low quality .22 ammunition loading my mags from a pile of mixed up stuff. The high quality stuff feeds 99.999 percent of the time, the low end stuff not so much. Therefore, I can be assured that I will have failures during my practice. What better way to learn how to clear a failure to extract, failure to fire etc.

Drills that you learn and practice make it much easier to handle the issues that will pop up when you least expect and can least afford them to happen.

So, I have some good .22 semi auto pistols, that for home defense are fed ammo that I have checked and fired multiple boxes of rounds with, typically the stuff that has a higher price tag. However, I also have revolvers that will fire anything that fits into the cylinder. For a prepared to be used when things go bad situation, I would include a revolver or two. And as someone has previously indicated you can get them in a 5 shot configuration that takes up less room in your pocket than a good folding knife.

Whatever you choose, remember that practice is the bigger factor in determining what the outcome will be. A .45 has great stopping power when compared to a .22. But if you have two dissimilar pistols one in .22 and the other .45, practice by firing a few thousand rounds of .22 and only a handful of .45 I would suggest you stick to the .22

Evangeline

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Well, we're past the handgun issue, I was just wanting to know what the point in a .22 Rifle was... I stopped by a gun shop and look at an AR-15 today. Very interesting...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Well, we're past the handgun issue, I was just wanting to know what the point in a .22 Rifle was... I stopped by a gun shop and look at an AR-15 today. Very interesting...

If your husband and you would like to shoot one let me know. Just need some help buying the ammo and you can shoot my ar15. I built it myself. Has function fine for 5 years. I also have several 22lr rifles and pistols and some centerfire you're welcome to shoot as well.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What is the #6 and #9 in that pic?
    It's time to go to bed and I'll look again tomorrow but #6 looks like one of those proprietary cartridges by a company that makes a series of cartridges (and reamers, brass, dies, custom gun work, etc.) based on the notion that a single-radius curved shoulder has near-magical properties when it comes to bottleneck rifle cartridges. There was an article about them in an issue of Precision Shooting some years back but I can't find the issue. They seemed to be getting usefully better numbers when it comes to velocity-for-case-volume plus high consistency of velocity. The numbers weren't miraculous but they were very, very good, enough to warrant more investigation. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company so all my googling, thus far, has come to nothing.

I've gone full-OCD on this one and I'll keep looking till I find an answer. Then I'll post again.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    .22 is not a good self defense caliber. It's great for filling a stew pot and for target practice.

I disagree about .22 pistols being bad. Get a .22 target pistol like a Ruger Mk I/II/III/.22/45 or a Browning Buckmark. The ones I've used have been as reliable as any centerfire. My Ruger gets shot one 500 round pack at a time, and is rarely cleaned. I can't remember the last time I had to clear a jam on it. Had a few rounds fail to fire, even after trying them a second time. Can't blame those on the pistol... This is out of thousands (and thousands) of rounds, too.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What is the #6 and #9 in that pic?

800px-Cartridge_Sample_2.jpg

1) .17 HM2; 2) .17 HMR; 3) .22LR; 4) .22 WMR; 5) .17 SMc; 6) 5mm/35 SM4; 7) .22 Hornet; 8) .223 Remington; 9) .223 WSSM; 10) .243 Winchester; 11) .243 Winchester Improved (Ackley); 12) .25-06; 13) .270 Winchester; 14) .308; 15) .30-06; 16) .45-70 Govt;
    17) .50-90 Sharps

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    1) .17 HM2; 2) .17 HMR; 3) .22LR; 4) .22 WMR; 5) .17 SMc; 6) 5mm/35 SM4; 7) .22 Hornet; 8) .223 Remington; 9) .223 WSSM; 10) .243 Winchester; 11) .243 Winchester Improved (Ackley); 12) .25-06; 13) .270 Winchester; 14) .308; 15) .30-06; 16) .45-70 Govt;
    17) .50-90 Sharps

Thank you very much, thanks to benenglish too.

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    Late to the party as usual. The big difference between the .22 long rifle and the .223 round shot in most black guns is in the amount of energy delivered at the business end. A typical .223 projectile is about 1.5-2 times heavier and is traveling almost 3 times faster. That means it delivers roughly 10 times the energy downrange, usually enough to punch right through a person. That makes it much better for a quick knock down on larger targets.

But the .22 lr is nothing to sneeze at. There's an old saying that the mob killed more guys with a .22 pistol than any other gun. The increase in velocity when fired in a rifle vs a pistol can be significant although nothing compared to a center-fire gun. And the .22 lr can have advantages in a SHTF situation. It's quieter - you can shoot dinner without drawing in every bad guy in a mile's radius. The gun and ammo are much lighter (thinking of the 10-22 here) - you can carry a 500 round brick of .22lr that will weigh about the same as 60-80 rounds of .223 (rough guess), especially if the .223 is loaded in magazines. And a 10-22 with 10 rounds or an after-market 25-round magazine will make a bad guy keep his head down and give you a chance to get away. And the guns themselves are much cheaper. You could each get a 10-22 and bricks of ammo (when reality returns) for a fraction of the cost of an AR. Get practiced up, get knowledgeable, then spend the big money.

Top Bottom