DK Firearms

Newbie question - Why is a .22 semi-auto rifle desirable if a .22 pistol is weak?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evangeline

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    My husband and I are new shooters living in the Houston area and we have begun aquiring guns in response to the political and criminal atmosphere in the country the last few years. He carries a Taurus .380 TCP (which he bought to replace a Taurus .357 revolver that was too heavy for CC), I own (but don't carry) a S&W Model 60 revolver, and we most recently bought a Mossberg Maverick. These weapons are for home and personal defense, and in case it ever does come down to a "SHTF" situation, so we are now looking to add a semi-auto rifle to our arsenal.

We see that the AR-15 is in high demand and hard to get, so we are also looking at other types of semi-auto rifles such as the Ruger 10/22. My question is, when we were looking at handguns, we were constantly warned away from .22 caliber pistols as they were considered too weak to do more than annoy an attacker, and while the bullets can do extensive damage because they have a tendency to "bounce around" inside the body once they enter, they have no stopping power. So why on earth would they be used as ammunition in a semi-auto weapon?

Now I see that these weapons take .22 "LR" but what is the actual difference in the ammo and its effect in firing in a confrontation?

What would you recommend as a semi-auto rifle?

Thank you...
    Guns International

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Welcome to the forum Evangeline. Do not underestimate the power of a .22lr. The 10/22 semi auto rifle has the capacity to hold 25 rounds. You can do a lot of damage with that amount of fire. Big advantage to shooting .22lr is the cost (or it uesd to be).

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Remember, I well placed shot [any caliber] is the key to self defense.
    I know this statement is going to bring a storm of rebuke, but you can read magazine atricles in many magazines extolling this fundamental.
    For a beginner, the 22 LR [rifle of pistol] provides you with a firearm that requires attention to detail in order to shoot it well. If you can become proficient with a 22 LR, you can be good with anything.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    A longer barrel will produce a slightly faster velocity with the same cartridge.

While the AR round (.223) is still roughly .22 in diameter like the .22LR, it is much longer and heavier. It is also shot out of a much larger case that has a lot more powder - so its moving much faster.

#3 below is a 22LR (used in 10/22). #8 is a .223 (used in ARs)
    800px-Cartridge_Sample_2.jpg

Last edited:

skeath

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    McKinney
    I had not thought about a .22 semi-auto rifle, but that looks interesting. I went to the Ruger site, but could not find anything with a capacity greater than 10. Is there a model that features a higher-capacity? Or is Ruger just keeping the libs at bay? :cool:

Thanks,

SK

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    .22's are great for practice/fun. You can gain a lot of trigger time with a box of ammo (if you can find it) and it will make you a better shot. I own more .22's than anything else.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I had not thought about a .22 semi-auto rifle, but that looks interesting. I went to the Ruger site, but could not find anything with a capacity greater than 10. Is there a model that features a higher-capacity? Or is Ruger just keeping the libs at bay? :cool:

Thanks,

SK

They sel 25 round mags for the 10/22.

pinoyinus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Round Rock
    As already mentioned, .22s are fun. They are great for training specially for kids. It allows you to shoot and practice trigger control without having to deal with recoil. It used to be a really cheap way to shoot. I sure hope we can say that again in the next 6 months.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I think it also comes down to just how much S has HTF. A 10/22 is a damned handy little rifle that will do a lot of tasks with proper shot placement. It would not be my first choice if I was sitting out the aftermath of a hurricane but I am pretty certain it would be the one rifle I would carry if I needed to head out into the wilds of Texas on foot for TEOTWAWKI.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Newbie question - Why is a .22 semi-auto rifle desirable if a .22 pistol is wea

.22 lr is popular for SHTF preppers because you can stick large quantities if ammunition at relatively low cost.

It is fine for hunting many small game animals and it is possible to take larger animals such as White Tail deer.

For SHTF defense, a .22 with 1000 rounds is better than a .223 with 20 rnds.

For general self defense: there are much better options out there however you can get some .22 revolvers that are no larger than a pocket knife and that can be important at times.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    .22 lr is popular for SHTF preppers because you can stick large quantities if ammunition at relatively low cost.

Not only is cost a consideration - but also availability and just as important: mobility. You can carry 1000 rounds of .22LR a lot easier than 1000 rounds of 5.56. As other's have pointed out, it's mostly about shot placement, but I'd still rather shoot someone in the right place with a .45... I met a guy once who was shot in the head with .22LR and lived to talk about it. He was a little slow, but he lived...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'd say .22lr pistols, in general, aren't as reliable as center fire pistols.

Half of that is due to ammo not being as reliable, small chambers and bulk bullets, cheaply made and the other half is the cheaper or lighter metals and production processes in the pistols or aftermarket magazines that aren't made with anything but plinking in mind.

That said I wouldn't want to get shot at with one.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    .22 is a poor choice for a defense round in my opinion, but it is certainly better than nothing, and if it is the only loading a person feels comfortable shooting (recoil, report, flash sensitive) then go for it. I've not read a lot about what is the best bullet and body target area, but it would seem to me a high velocity solid, shot at the head would be the best. More penetration with the solid than a HP, and I would think more annoying to take one to the nose than the gut. Ruger 10/22 is a very reliable autoloader, and even with the OEM 10 round mag, you've got enough to get a BG's attention. For home defense though, if it were going to be a .22, I think a Ruger MKIII, 22/45 or Browining Buckmark might be a better choice than a rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'd say .22lr pistols, in general, aren't as reliable as center fire pistols.

Yep.. and you can't reload .22 either.. although in a SHTF situation I don't know how important that would be. Plus most if not all .22LR from my experience tends to run a little dirtier than good centerfire ammo. I would hate to rely on one to defend myself and/or my family, but if I had to, a good semi-auto .22 rifle with a 20-30 round magazine would be better than nothing. If you're ever forced to rely on a .22 for home defense (If certain people in the government had their way, we'd all be using break-barrel .22s), be sure to practice your malfunction drills so that when you pull the trigger and nothing happens, you won't sit around staring at your gun while you're getting shot up.

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    .22lr which is most common is not a reliable self defense round. Its is made for small game hunting and plinking or target shooting. The make semi auto .22s becuase they are fun and inexpensive ways to practice with out breaking the bank. Ruger 10-22s are popular because of the wide varity of mods you can do to them from nothing to pretty radical in so many configurations. The can kill and are not toys so dont think for a second that if it came down to it a .22 is better than nothing.
    So one else will come along and answer some of these questions better and explain them more thoroughly. BTW is your last name Lilly?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Guns are tools. These tools come in difference sizes, called calibers. Different calibers for different uses.

.22lr (or S, L) - not a good SD caliber; great for introduction, teaching techniques, training, plinking, small game/varmint.

Should be in everyone's collection.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Not a great defense round for sure... but I haven't found anyone who wants to stand in front of my 10/22 and prove a .22 round won't hurt them...

Any collection should have a few .22s in it in my opinion.

Top Bottom