• ...and so much more!
  • HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Hi all,

I just bought my first press (a Mec) this last January. I don't do a lot of shotgunning so it more or less just an experiment.

Flash forward to today... Spent 87 bucks on 100 rounds of 9mm...i need to start reloading brass.

Can any of you give a newbie some suggestions on a good starter press? I want to start with 9mm and .45. Any and all of your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Look for a used complete set up. Old guys like myself eventually call it quits and decide to sell the reloading equipment.

RCBS has a lifetime warranty and stand by it! I have contacted RCBS on a few plastic items that became brittle and broke. They don’t even bulk at it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yeah, I have heard they are near impossible to find... Can't win!

You probably missed my edit, but check the classifieds here, there’s a kit or two and a couple of posts with misc reloading supplies.

The deal with primers is that unless there’s excess beyond the mfgs needs, there won’t be much, if any, released for reloading sales.

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    You probably missed my edit, but check the classifieds here, there’s a kit or two and a couple of posts with misc reloading supplies.

The deal with primers is that unless there’s excess beyond the mfgs needs, there won’t be much, if any, released for reloading sales.
    I DID miss that! Thanks for the tip. I'm heading there now!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hi all,

I just bought my first press (a Mec) this last January. I don't do a lot of shotgunning so it more or less just an experiment.

Flash forward to today... Spent 87 bucks on 100 rounds of 9mm...i need to start reloading brass.

Can any of you give a newbie some suggestions on a good starter press? I want to start with 9mm and .45. Any and all of your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Hey HK,

Welcome to TGT.

Try to locate used stuff. Divorce/Estate/Yard sales....LGS "used counter" (my local LGS has a good selection of used reloading tools)...

Now is "kRaZy" times.....Dies are going to be a problem. I have two sets of Dillon Dies on back order since Christmas..(6 months)...

For the 9mm, you will also want a 9x18 LEE FCD to De Bulge. For 45acp you will want a "spare" LEE FCD to De Bulge...(if you de bulge, you will never need to use a chamber checker...which gets old in a hurry)

RCBS, CH4D, Lyman, H'Day, Redding all make great stuff...

Dillon for progressive.....Their 550C is tough to beat...

Can not get a primer here...

Later, Mark

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Hey HK,

Welcome to TGT.

Try to locate used stuff. Divorce/Estate/Yard sales....LGS "used counter" (my local LGS has a good selection of used reloading tools)...

Now is "kRaZy" times.....Dies are going to be a problem. I have two sets of Dillon Dies on back order since Christmas..(6 months)...

For the 9mm, you will also want a 9x18 LEE FCD to De Bulge. For 45acp you will want a "spare" LEE FCD to De Bulge...(if you de bulge, you will never need to use a chamber checker...which gets old in a hurry)

RCBS, CH4D, Lyman, H'Day, Redding all make great stuff...

Dillon for progressive.....Their 550C is tough to beat...

Can not get a primer here...

Later, Mark
    Thanks for all the great info Mark! This is really great stuff!

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Just jump all in & get that Dillon 550b set up in the classifieds. Buy once, cry once ;)
    Hahaha! I saw that... I would almost give up my right nut for it!

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    That’s were buying out some old guys shit works! He has been around long enough to have everything in a one stop shopping spree. Hell he might even throw in his bench! Priced lumber lately?
    Lumber... Only for work! It's coming down but not quick or fast!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Lots of good suggestions and advice given here. I would also check Ebay and Amazon, and maybe even Craigslist as well.

The biggest factor I see is the one mentioned, is even if you found the reloading equipment, reloading components themselves are going to be a even larger limiting factor until production catches back up. Though they are out there, just that they are limited and much higher priced than in time past.

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Lots of good suggestions and advice given here. I would also check Ebay and Amazon, and maybe even Craigslist as well.

The biggest factor I see is the one mentioned, is even if you found the reloading equipment, reloading components themselves are going to be a even larger limiting factor until production catches back up. Though they are out there, just that they are limited and much higher priced than in time past.

I agree....i am thinking future-wise...i know right now is a shitty time to start doing it...but i figure if i can get some of the basic equipment now, the components will follow with time. In some respects, i know it sounds like wiping before you poop...But i like to see it as wiping before AND after you poop!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey HK,

Start headin' to the yard/junk sales with the Mrs.!

Couple years back? Local Rifle Mechanic took his Mrs. to the "junk sale"....got a BRAND NEW in the blame WRAPPER RCBS Reloading Outfit....press, scale, powder thrower, trimmer ...some other crap....for...........$25!!

As I said in previoius post, my LGS has a bunch of used reloading stuff, scales, presses...etc for real reasonable....

Later, Mark

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Hey HK,

Start headin' to the yard/junk sales with the Mrs.!

Couple years back? Local Rifle Mechanic took his Mrs. to the "junk sale"....got a BRAND NEW in the blame WRAPPER RCBS Reloading Outfit....press, scale, powder thrower, trimmer ...some other crap....for...........$25!!

As I said in previoius post, my LGS has a bunch of used reloading stuff, scales, presses...etc for real reasonable....

Later, Mark

Thanks again Mark! Yeah, we have been meaning to some lawn sale-ing! I have seen some estate sales too... Going to give a few of those a shot. One quick question (probably a dumb one) what does LGS stand for?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom