• msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey HK,

Time is on your side, just now...

No primers to be had . Powder is about $30/lb here.....With a fair selection..

Get several Manuals. H'Day, Lee, Hodgon, Speer.....Do some readin' up on reloading...

Case preparation and such...

Several older fellers are sellin' items off...

Check the bulletin board at your rifle club (us old folks still do stuff that way) LOL

If it takes you six months to gather up the stuff you need, and you read through some of the Manuals...

You will be able to hit the ground running..

If you find a used Dillon 550, jump on it. User friendly and versatile (I load from 22-250AI to 45/70 on mine)

Later, Mark

plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    My $0.02 worth. Start (as said before) reading a manual or three, then get a single stage press to get some experience doing everything manually, deliberately, step by step. And double check each step. Only then move up to a progressive press. Hand loading requires zero tolerance for mistakes. Also, be prepared for the possibility that this becomes your new passion, as much as actual shooting :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    My $0.02 worth. Start (as said before) reading a manual or three, then get a single stage press to get some experience doing everything manually, deliberately, step by step. And double check each step. Only then move up to a progressive press. Hand loading requires zero tolerance for mistakes. Also, be prepared for the possibility that this becomes your new passion, as much as actual shooting :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I am FULLY prepared for that possibility!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A book that is highly recommended for those new to reloading, or even thinking about getting into reloading, "The ABC's Of Reloading" can be found on Amazon or Ebay, with used copies pretty cheap. Excellent book and can answer lots of questions. It deals with the basics and fundamentals of reloading, with a heavy emphasis on the safety aspects, with the reasons why they are important. It was the best book about reloading I ever bought.

Another great book is Lee's Modern Reloading. Along with being a load data book, many of the first chapters are about how the reloading process works. Another excellent book for a noob.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Hey HK,

Start headin' to the yard/junk sales with the Mrs.!

Couple years back? Local Rifle Mechanic took his Mrs. to the "junk sale"....got a BRAND NEW in the blame WRAPPER RCBS Reloading Outfit....press, scale, powder thrower, trimmer ...some other crap....for...........$25!!

As I said in previoius post, my LGS has a bunch of used reloading stuff, scales, presses...etc for real reasonable....

Later, Mark

Yard and garage sales can be a great place to look for reloading stuff. I bought an older single stage RCBS press for a $1 many years ago, with a messed up shell holder insert on the ram.

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    A book that is highly recommended for those new to reloading, or even thinking about getting into reloading, "The ABC's Of Reloading" can be found on Amazon or Ebay, with used copies pretty cheap. Excellent book and can answer lots of questions. It deals with the basics and fundamentals of reloading, with a heavy emphasis on the safety aspects, with the reasons why they are important. It was the best book about reloading I ever bought.

Another great book is Lee's Modern Reloading. Along with being a load data book, many of the first chapters are about how the reloading process works. Another excellent book for a noob.
    Just found them both and will be picking them up! Thank you very much!!!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Starting out on a single stage press to learn is we’re I started. The question you have to ask yourself is what reason are you getting into to reloading?

For myself it started out reloading because I couldn’t buy ammo @ a young age. Next reason was about fine tuning ammo to the gun. Saving money was never really the reason because I considered the cost of equipment.

After my first sub machine gun I bought a Dillon SDB. I found great deal on a used set up on a forum & bought it! I built another bench, bought more dies & tools and got after it.

I cranked out some .45 acp and found out I hated the progressive press over my single stage. Perhaps it was the SDB press I didn’t like! Its only good for pistol caliber .vs the other presses.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Hey HK,

Start headin' to the yard/junk sales with the Mrs.!

Couple years back? Local Rifle Mechanic took his Mrs. to the "junk sale"....got a BRAND NEW in the blame WRAPPER RCBS Reloading Outfit....press, scale, powder thrower, trimmer ...some other crap....for...........$25!!

As I said in previoius post, my LGS has a bunch of used reloading stuff, scales, presses...etc for real reasonable....

Later, Mark
    Yard sales is were I found a lot of good reloading stuff !

Ducati

Gym, Tan, Laundry
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2021
    San Diego
    Single stage is good if you want to sacrifice speed for the ability to learn in-depth each step of the reloading process. I found a good mentor on the forums and started with a Dillons 650XL progressive press. It's not that hard, reloading is an investment that will pay for itself if you shoot a lot. I recommend getting a used progressive press. Dillons has excellent customer service that ship me free replacement parts, I can't speak for any other brand

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Thank you very much for the information! I will check them out for sure!

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom