• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    @DFW_Warrior Internet can be sketchy for some of us. What if you can't get on the internet? Hard copies are an excellent back up in those cases. The internet is an excellent resource for reloading data and information, but I don't and wouldn't use it as my sole data source for reloading. Besides, books are cool. If you are going to source reloading data off the internet, print them off like I do and put them into a binder for future reference.
    You bring up a very good point. I keep my load data written down on a clipboard on the reloading bench so it is always there if I ever have a question about it. It is also electronically on the laptop along with all of my costing info.
    Guns International

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You bring up a very good point. I keep my load data written down on a clipboard on the reloading bench so it is always there if I ever have a question about it. It is also electronically on the laptop along with all of my costing info.
    Get one of those cheap 3 ring binders from Walmart or an office supply place and print off your load data and keep them in that.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Books are great but I am very wary of those that scream to always follow the manual.

The manuals do not agree with each other so a smart hand-loader should use many sources of information.

DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    Books are great but I am very wary of those that scream to always follow the manual.

The manuals do not agree with each other so a smart hand-loader should use many sources of information.
    Not to mention if the same folks to scream to follow the manual, in their follow up to that being the only (and not very helpful) bit of advice, they also scream "well not that manual as it is wrong". :facepalm::laughing:

To the OP, when I very first said to question everything.... this is exactly where you should start questioning things.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    3ebb89a0ed376556058a688e01ee078d.jpg

Found this on another site, I agree with having multiple manuals to double check information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dimonback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Austin
    Hello all,

I'm sorta new to the forum but I really wanted to get into reloading. Prices currently on ammo are very expensive. I know that parts for reloading are also expensive and hard to find. Well lucky for me before I moved my buddy bought me a reloading kit with a lot of stuff and dies.

After watching hours of youtube videos I understand how it works and how careful you have to be. I'm more of a hands-on approach. Since Covid is going on I can't find a place where they do training for reloading.

Is there any place currently teaching how to reload? I'm looking to reload 223 / 308 / 6.5.

If anyone can help me that would be awesome!!!

Thank you,
    Like most teachable subjects, Youtube has several videos. I learned reloading before they were a thing, but I find them indispensable now

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Hello all,

I'm sorta new to the forum but I really wanted to get into reloading. Prices currently on ammo are very expensive. I know that parts for reloading are also expensive and hard to find. Well lucky for me before I moved my buddy bought me a reloading kit with a lot of stuff and dies.

After watching hours of youtube videos I understand how it works and how careful you have to be. I'm more of a hands-on approach. Since Covid is going on I can't find a place where they do training for reloading.

Is there any place currently teaching how to reload? I'm looking to reload 223 / 308 / 6.5.

If anyone can help me that would be awesome!!!

Thank you,
    There are some NRA reloading class come to the area really soon. Check out the NRA training section.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I like the manuals for cross referencing and to verify the safety of internet data. The easiest calibers to reload are going to be straight wall pistol cartridges, the bottle neck ones you're starting off with require a little more attention to detail. I'd suggest you attempt to chamber your sized brass before priming it. It's a huge downer when you discover that your gun requires a small base die or you didn't fully setback a shoulder.

If you are loading for a bolt action and only one gun, you can consider neck sizing only to extend the life of your brass but only if it was previously fired from your gun. Some 7.62x51 brass is rumored to have less internal case capacity but don't let that bug you, the difference will be only a percent or so. That may sound like a foreign language now but it will all make sense as you go.

Most of all, hit us up about anything. Better to stay safe than worry about asking a dumb question.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I like the manuals for cross referencing and to verify the safety of internet data. The easiest calibers to reload are going to be straight wall pistol cartridges, the bottle neck ones you're starting off with require a little more attention to detail. I'd suggest you attempt to chamber your sized brass before priming it. It's a huge downer when you discover that your gun requires a small base die or you didn't fully setback a shoulder.

If you are loading for a bolt action and only one gun, you can consider neck sizing only to extend the life of your brass but only if it was previously fired from your gun. Some 7.62x51 brass is rumored to have less internal case capacity but don't let that bug you, the difference will be only a percent or so. That may sound like a foreign language now but it will all make sense as you go.

Most of all, hit us up about anything. Better to stay safe than worry about asking a dumb question.
    Case gauge makes this very easy.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    We don't shoot case gauges. Use the chamber.
    You are assuming that a reload is for only one gun. Pistol case gauge pretty much clears the round to meet specs that should fit any pistol of that caliber. Case gauge also insures that your brass is not under or over length especially nice for rifle which may need trimming. Aside from the cost is there any reason to not use a case gauge? Obviously not talking about fire formed brass designed to be used in just the rifle that fire formed it.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Something you learn once you start reloading and bring the press arm up/down; secure the workbench to the wall or one so heavy the table won't move. I used large bolts screws into the wall joints to hold the table rock steady.

Top Bottom