• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Im kind of embarrassed to admit this but I am about to purchase my first shotgun. I am very familiar with rifles and handguns just not shotguns. I was looking at getting a 12 ga H&R pardner pump protector with a 18 1/2 barrel. I realize this is mostly a short range/self defense weapon. I was curious if it is possible to just replace the barrel on this with like a 28 inch barrel if I wanted to go dove hunting or something of that nature? Is this something that is safe and possible? I am assuming so but thought I would ask and if anyone knows where I can get a barrel that safely fit this particular shotgun
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I believe those are Remington 870 clones but I am not positive. If so 870 barrels will work. Anybody?

That or just buy a two barrel combo. That will for sure work.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I believe those are Remington 870 clones but I am not positive. If so 870 barrels will work. Anybody?

That or just buy a two barrel combo. That will for sure work.

I believe You are right. I have had people tell me thry put 870 barrels on them but have not tried it myself.

And welcome

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

TWD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Thanks for the welcoming everyone. I have read mixed things about the Barrels from the 870 being interchangable. I have seen some yes and then some yes with modifications. I don't know if maybe small tweaks have been made over the past year that does make them interchangeable with no mods or what. Id really like some more input on this and hopefully find someone that has done this here recently.

Thanks,
    Travis

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Almost all pump shotguns are designed to accept different barrels. I'm not sure about compatibility but you should be able to get a longer choked barrel from H&R if no where else.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    OP,

Everyone on "firearms" boards appears or implies expertise in all things firearms, so your humble admIssion as to "newbie" in regard to shotgun is appreciated. With that said, I will not recommend any particular shotgun but will suggest exposure and training in regard to shotgun first before you make a purchase. The only question which is imperative at this.point is whether you intend to hunt/skeet/trap, or is the shotgun for protection in the home primarily.

Last edited:

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    This might sound counter intuitive, but an 870 barrel costs about as much as another h&r shotgun. Unless you want to use a pistol grip only, knoxx stock, mesa tactical, etc. you would probably be better served with a mossberg 500 combo. The safety on the mossberg is in bad place for using a pistol grip.

TWD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Primary home defense. Secondary would be for small bird hunting. Thats why I was wanting to know if the barrel would be interchangable.

Thanks,
    Travis

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I would suggest sticking with a name brand pump. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would probably be your best choice. It's cash worthy of being spent.
    My 500 with a 18 and 28in barrel cost 315$ in 2010.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I would suggest sticking with a name brand pump. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would probably be your best choice. It's cash worthy of being spent.
    My 500 with a 18 and 28in barrel cost 315$ in 2010.

Probably your best bet...stick with a reputable brand. Do some research. Shoot your friends shotguns if possible. Or... buy a HD shotgun and then later buy a field shotgun. This way you have two shotguns. Btw, I have a benelli nova 12 ga pump for field use.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Primary home defense. Secondary would be for small bird hunting. Thats why I was wanting to know if the barrel would be interchangable.

Thanks,
    Travis

Why change barrels? Use buckshot for home defense and birdshot for hunting, and send 'em both down a smoothbore barrel with a good choke on it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Cause 18" barrels are a little short for birds and 26-28" barrels are a little unwieldy around the house.

Top Bottom