• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I want to reload my own ammo, but have never done it before. I don't know excactly what all I need for reloading. I know I need a press and dies, but what are the differences with dies and what are case plates and the other stuff I hear about that are needed for reloading. If yall could describe or explain the functions of the different dies and all that good stuff it would be much appreciated. Also what is a good starter press that would easily be able to be used once I become more advanced at reloading? I've seen that a lot of yall like the dillon presses especially the 550bs. Would the 550 be a good starter press.
    Hurley's Gold

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    You didn't indicate exactly what you are going to be loading but if it is only straight wall pistol ammo (9mm, .45 ACP and so forth) then get the Square Deal B instead. The dies come with it and it auto-indexes too. The 550 doesn't. It is also less money but a high quality machine. It won't however, load rifle ammo.

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Sorry, I will mostly be reloading rifle cartridges. Mostly 308, 270, 223, and 30 m1 carbine ammo. I'm not much of pistol guy and until I get one that suits me I won't be reloading pistol ammo.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    For the rifle cartridges, if you plan on going for extreme accuracy get a simple single stage RCBS. I use a single stage JR.3 that I've had for years to do all my rifle ammo for deer hunting. Anything that I want to do in bulk gets done on my Dillon 550. If all that you're going to be reloading for is sporting rifles with the exception of the 30 carbine. A single stage is a reliable and solid starting platform. I started with the 550 just because I found one cheap but there is a very, very slight difference in the accuracy of ammo it puts out vs. the single stage.

As far as dies, most common die sets come as a full length resizer/ de-capper unit along with a bullet seating/crimping die. If you're reloading for a bolt action and want some extra accuracy and a bit longer case life, you can go with a neck resizing die and just resize the neck of the case. This allows for each reloaded round to be on spot with the center of the bore axis.

For semi-auto rifles, full length resizing is the only way to go, as well you have to crimp the bullets. The action will slap and basically brutalize each round before it is fired requiring a lot more rigid round.

The best thing to do for learning how to reload accurate rounds is to get a good reloading manual and read the 30-50 page intro on how to start reloading. I learned how with Hornady and Speer manuals.

And for shell plates, each reloading die set will have stamped on the label what shell plate to use. If you go for a Dillon, they come with a table that tells you what indexing plate you will need.

KILKENNY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Ft Worth
    Go to Midway usa they have a lot of starter kits that have the basic's that you need. You will want to add to as time goes by, but the kits will get you started. Good luck and buy a good reloading manual and read, read, and read before you start.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For rifle.....RCBS Rockchucker. The multiple stage presses are for folks with some experience and there's always time to get one later. I've had 3 Dillon RL 450's and sold two of them. They are great presses but a lot of stuff is happening at one time so I'd recommend that you wait on that until you have the knowledge to make them work properly. After buying & selling a pile of presses over the years, the RCBS Rockchucker is the ONLY one that has stayed from day one. That's the best recommendation I can make.

There are a lot of folks who can help you. I will, too.

Flash

Don

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    East Texas
    To begin with...Get a good reloading manual. A few of them are Lyman or Speer...There are many others.
    AND a good scale is needed. RCBS has one called a 10-10 which is very good and its a beam scale. Electronic scales are nice, but I would stick with the better more expensive ones. The cheap ones I have tried really were a waste of money and time. IMHO...

A very good press to begin with and take you into the future is a Redding T-7 Turret press.
    I have several presses and always come back to the T-7.
    It is built like a tank!!!!!!

It also has seven die mounting holes inthe turret so that you can mount all sorts of dies for one caliber...OR you can mount 2 or 3 rifle dies and have them set up and ready for whatever bullet you choose to load that day.
    Or even better, you can buy spare turrets and have them set up with as many dies for you various calibers as you want, thenm just unscrew the ONE bolt on top and put the turret you have set up and ready to load in a few minutes....BANG your ready to reload that fast.
    I really love it...Its more money than a RCBS rockchucker, but you get a little more veraitility with the T-7.
    Did I mention its built like a TANK ????
    Go online to Reddings website and read about it.
    My second choice for rifle rounds would be the RCBS Rockchucker only because of the T-7 Turret not because RCBS is bad or anything. I have the Rockchucker too, and I also like it ...Its built very strong also...I just like the Turret better

There are a lot of guys here that can help, as you get into it more you will have many more questions that I'm sure the guys here can help you with.
    I would suggest that you READ every and all the manuals you can get your hands on before you start. OR find a reloading buddy that is experienced that will help. Most reloaders do not mind helping fellow reloaders out. But its best to read about reloading and get familiar with all the tools and procedures first.

Just my thoughts
    Don

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Oh..... You asked a question that seemed to slip by most of us. The types of dies.

SB= small base. It returns the brass to an "as new" dimension or to a MINIMUM size. It works the brass a lot so the life of the case is reduced. It works best for a semi auto rifle where a bulge at the base develops and may cause chambering problems. I use small base dies because in competition, if the round won't chamber properly, you lose.

Neck Size= Does what the name implies. Neck sizes only. Guys who want max life from the brass like neck sizing dies. Brass working (shaping) is minimal. A shooter with one rifle who wants to use the brass only in that rifle like these. Lee Loaders neck size only and I started out in the 60's with them. They worked great but the Lee Loader is slow and cumbersome. If you take a new bullet and match it up to a fired case, the bullet will slide into the neck. The neck sizing die will fix that and make a tight fit bullet to case. Later, a slight crimp may be added to tighten that fit. That is done in the bullet seating die.

Full Length Resize= Does what the Small Base dies do but not as much. The full length dies work the brass more than Neck Sizing and will shorten the case life some. I always use full length or Small Base dies.

The sizing dies will do several things at once. They hold the decapping pin to punch the primer out, size the brass as mentioned above and they have an expander plug which opens the case neck a bit to allow the new bullet to be installed.

Carbide dies last a long time because the carbide ring in the die that does the sizing is very hard. They cost more and require less lube to make resizing effortless. Some say the carbide dies require NO lube but I think that makes me work harder resizing them. Carbide dies can be cracked or chipped so they aren't perfect. It's best not to drop a carbide die on a hard floor. Once that carbide ring is damaged, they are finished.

The plain steel dies are more prone to imbedding grit. Once that happens, every case you size will have a long scratch in it. In all, carbide dies are a good deal.

Hope that helps...............

Flash

Top Bottom