• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fmatexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hey guys! Just found this forum while looking online for one of two milsurp rifles. I am looking for a Springfield or Remington 1903-A3 or a M1917 Eddystone. I've been away from this "hobby" for many years, but one of the things I have noticed is that sellers seldom tell me how many grooves, or riflings are in the barrel. Back in the day, the more riflings in the barrel, the more accurate the gun. In other words, the infantry rifle usually had 2 or the grooves, while the carbines or snipers version usually had 4 or 5 grooves, making them more accurate. This is important to me when purchasing a milsurp rifle. Anyway, let me know if you have a good '03-A3 or Eddystone you think I need to own.
    Happy shooting from an old codger!
    :target:
    Lynx Defense

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy.

The number of lands and grooves for an infantry rifle is of little concern when shooting at a moving target at less than 300 meters. WWII era Smith Coronas had less rifling, yet yielded sufficient accuracy for battlefield use.

On the other hand, the number of lands and grooves to impart the proper spin on a 95 lb 155 millimeter artillery projectile is a whole new topic.

The black magic of long distance gunnery does raise it's ugly head at distances up to twenty or more clicks.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom