• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    In February 202, certain groups will be meeting to discuss future gun legislation to be filed in November and December of 2022, and Jan of 2023. Legislation takes time to research, and write. Thus why “Think Tanks” happen so early.

I will be attending several of these ”Think Tanks” in February.

Please Post what POSITIVE Pro-Gun legislation you would like to see filed. Or feel free to comment on the following ideas, or Ideas others post.

All I ask is for everyone to be civil, and NOT abusive in anyway. Thank You.

1. Remove cost of LTC and make it free for all Texas Residents.

2. Offer a Lifetime LTC.

3. Allow LTC instructors to renew their certificate everytime with an online course Covering new legislation. Remove shooting re-Qaulification of Instructors for renewal purposes. Remove LTC Instructor fee.

4. Separate the LTC into two. Into an enhanced, and basic. Basic would be for those 18-21 and Enhanced for those over 21. Why? Because at least three states do NOT recognize the Texas LTC for reciprocity simply because our current LTC allows 18-21yo to have one. Those states with a basic and enhanced LTC DO have reciprocity with those 3 states with their Enhanced LTC only. If we did the same, those 3 states would give us reciprocity on our enhanced LTC. Of course this may end up being a moot point if current 18-21 lawsuits make it to SCOTUS and SCOTUS rules in favor of the 18-21yo.

5. Remove local preemption on public parks.

6. Remove the colorado river authority from banning firearm possession of handguns for the purpose of self defense

7. Allow us to sue and hold liable any private business that bars customers from carrying a firearm in their establishment if they are Injured by a criminal who commits a forcible felony. or require the private business to have armed security guards to protect its customers from criminals.

8. Initiate even stronger 2A sanctuary state laws.

9. Remove all bans on all public property other then “security” areas such as mental hospitals, court rooms, prisons/jails, airport secure areas, etc…

10. Require the State Park services to allow target practice, in those state parks that would be safe to do so,&/or require them to setup shooting ranges. While not all state parks have the room, some do. Such as Big Bend State park, Palo Duro state park, and many others.

11. a Refiling of a previous bill to raise the 51% line to 60% or even 61%.

12. Allow Texas LTC instructors to teach out-of-state classes. I am an Illinois and Maryland certified LTC instructor and am allowed to teach those in Texas. However when I finally am allowed to teach a Texas LTC classes, I won’t be able to teach them anywhere else. Silly!

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I would assume a life time LTC would never work.

What happens if you become a felon and just don't turn in the card.

You can walk into a FFL and use that lifetime card to buy a weapon.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I would assume a life time LTC would never work.

What happens if you become a felon and just don't turn in the card.

You can walk into a FFL and use that lifetime card to buy a weapon.

FFL’s are required to verify validity of your LTC. Texas DPS has a website, that you simply enter the LTC number, and the last name. It will return with Valid… or Invalid, LTC has expired, or has been suspended, or is revoked.

Verification

You may not have noticed them verifying the LTC when you purchased a firearm, but they did. Your Texas LTC information Is also put on your form 4473. If the FFL doesn’t verify and If your LTC has been revoked, or suspended, the ATF will come looking for you, or they will send out local Law enforcement to look for you. An FFL could also loose their License or get fined as well.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Be careful what you wish for in #1 and #2 (especially). Lifetime LTC cannot jeopardize either reciprocity or the 4473 fast lane.

I want to see 30.05/.06/.07 trespass with a firearm eliminated.

I want a DPS-controlled and publicly verifiable scheme for 46.03 postings like TABC has for 51% sign. Specifically, I want all places that fall under 46.03 to be required to display the 46.03 notice and before they can do that, they have to apply to DOS who will be the arbiter of whether they can or can’t post it and DPS issues them standardized, serialized, and controlled signage so that some random jackwagon can’t just post one up without getting a hefty fine as soon as it’s reported.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    #4 - Never thought about <21 reciprocity before. That sounds reasonable.
    #6 - Hell yes. The LCRA thinks it's government.
    #10 - That would be great.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I really don’t have a warm fuzzy that we will make it that long. At the pace the dems are moving they will have our guns by the end of the year. After that all is lost

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Be careful what you wish for in #1 and #2 (especially). Lifetime LTC cannot jeopardize either reciprocity or the 4473 fast lane.

I want to see 30.05/.06/.07 trespass with a firearm eliminated.

I want a DPS-controlled and publicly verifiable scheme for 46.03 postings like TABC has for 51% sign. Specifically, I want all places that fall under 46.03 to be required to display the 46.03 notice and before they can do that, they have to apply to DOS who will be the arbiter of whether they can or can’t post it and DPS issues them standardized, serialized, and controlled signage so that some random jackwagon can’t just post one up without getting a hefty fine as soon as it’s reported.
    Not for sure how #1 would affect reciprocity. Other states don’t really care about what another state charges for an LTC. Most other states are concerned with Training, or the quality of our BG check, who we will allow to have an LTC and in some cases even the age being below 21.

At least one state that I am aware of with a Lifetime LTC saves reciprocity, by the fact that the licensing agency that issues the LTC’s must automatically do a background check within 90 days prior to the 5 year anniversary date of issue. If the BG check fails, the LTC is revoked. This keeps everything inline with the Feds to maintain the 4473 fast lane, as well as for reciprocity. Those issues are well known and will be dealt with when the legislation is written.

The Elimination of trespass might be considered along with the items in #7. Meaning that if a private business wants to attempt to prevent guns from entering his building and does not want to hire armed security. Then anyone who does have a firearm won’t be held for trespass. the point of #7 is to make private businesses aware that they are responsible for our safety. One way or the other. Elimantion of Trespass though will be hard to get, because we all have a right to say who we will And wont do business with or allow in our business.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    #4 - Never thought about <21 reciprocity before. That sounds reasonable.
    #6 - Hell yes. The LCRA thinks it's government.
    #10 - That would be great.

I will give you one example. Washington state. They will not recognize a Texas LTC because we will give a LTC to certain people who meet certain Qualifications between 18-21.

Idaho has a Basic and Enhanced LTC. The Enhanced is only for those over 21.

Washington state will recognize a Idaho Enhanced, but will NOT recognize an Idaho Basic. Why? Simply because of the age factor.

However, like I also said. Their are several cases in at least 4 different federal circuit courts challenging the age restriction. There is even now a circuit court split. Eventually one of the cases will make it to SCOTUS. So it is very possible that eventually the age issue may become a moot point and the sale of firearms, the possession, and the issuance of LTC’s to those between 18-21 will be allowed in every state. Thus making it a moot point.

#6 I agree with you. We need to eliminate that control over having firearms in our possession. They don’t want people hunting and poaching and figure having a firearm with you makes it much harder to control, find, and prosecute potential poachers.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I appreciate the work you do, but elimination of .05/.06/.07 trespass AND the 46.03 scheme is table stakes for my money to go to a politician, PAC, or effort.

My next priority is clearing up all the crap from HB1927.
    Cleanup of HB1927 is allready in the works to simplify the code, make it more uniform across the board, etc..

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    5. Remove local preemption on public parks.

6. Remove the colorado river authority from banning firearm possession of handguns for the purpose of self defense
    I'm pretty sure those are already done. They're just ignored.

11. a Refiling of a previous bill to raise the 51% line to 60% or even 61%.
    Eliminate the prohibition entirely. It's already illegal to possess a firearm outside your own property if you're intoxicated. The no carrying in bars thing discourages having a responsible designated driver and is a significant safety risk to people who go to bars and everyone else who might share a road with them.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    7. Allow us to sue and hold liable any private business that bars customers from carrying a firearm in their establishment if they are Injured by a criminal who commits a forcible felony. or require the private business to have armed security guards to protect its customers from criminals.
    Legislate strict liability for private right to action and action by the AG. Put some kind of reasonable conditions on it, like requiring a monitored enclosed perimeter, staffed and guarded entrances and exits, weapon storage lockers for the public to use while on site, a minimum number of guards patrolling the property (not counting perimeter and entry/exit points) per maximum occupancy of the property.

Also significantly increase penalties for local government entities illegally/improperly posting or allowing to be posted 30.06, 30.07, and 46.03 signs. Add personal criminal liability to any person who posts one or directs or allows one to be posted.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Also significantly increase penalties for local government entities illegally/improperly posting or allowing to be posted 30.06, 30.07, and 46.03 signs.
    I'd like to see it be unnecessary to make daily reports of improper postings by government entities. As I now understand it, if you report such a thing to the AG on the first of every month, the AG acts as if the signs exist for just one day per month since there's no evidence that they weren't taken down on every day you didn't report them. The total number of violations, then, is artificially reduced.

I'd like to see a presumption that if a sign is up today and the same sign is still up in the same place two months from now, that it was up for 60 days, not just the two days that were reported.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'd like to see it be unnecessary to make daily reports of improper postings by government entities. As I now understand it, if you report such a thing to the AG on the first of every month, the AG acts as if the signs exist for just one day per month since there's no evidence that they weren't taken down on every day you didn't report them. The total number of violations, then, is artificially reduced.

I'd like to see a presumption that if a sign is up today and the same sign is still up in the same place two months from now, that it was up for 60 days, not just the two days that were reported.

Part of why I want .05/.06/.07 trespass with a firearm gone entirely and 46.03 postings controlled through application process by DPS with a public database like the TABC red signs. I’d really like it if the signage contained anti-counterfeit features like a TX DL does to make a forgery easily identifiable.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

That would be great. Especially since it's somewhat tedious to report them to the AG with a clunky web form and all. Also, the AG's web site was changed, and now it does not seem to have any history of letters, responses, etc.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Let’s hope they don’t sneak-in further restrictions when the simplify it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's why I don't think "cleanup" is a good idea. HB 1927. Already slipped into this bill were additional restrictions on carrying long arms. The areas that are vague are issues that are very unlikely to come up, or issues that are not vague, but prepaid legal services would like you to think are vague because it sells more pre-paid legal services.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I’d like to see all the sign BS gone.

On allowing for suits against those who choose to post signs, I like the idea, but I think it’s going to be like pushing rope. Is there a way to grant folks immunity from suits if the choose to not post signs? Kind of like a carrot before the stick. If lawyers can’t go after the pockets of establishments that choose to allow someone to defend themselves would that eliminate one need to post signs?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Saccaayo
    Top Bottom