APOD Firearms

NFA registered ARs and how an AWB would effect them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To those with NFA registered ARs, what happens if Beto O'dipshit's idea for a mandatory buyback (confiscation) somehow makes it to law? Wouldn't having an NFA registered AR such as one that was SBRed make you an easy target for the Feds?

Now, let me say that I don't see a law like that passing any time soon, and even if it did it would likely face a severe amount of backlash and legal challenges. This is a hypothetical "what if" scenario.
    Texas SOT

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    d9d34d16b87df6731136d52a12c7318d.jpg

I have nothing more to add to except for that. I don’t have any NFA items. I would however agree with you in saying that you’d be an easy target for the alphabet boys to come knocking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• d9d34d16b87df6731136d52a12c7318d.jpg
      d9d34d16b87df6731136d52a12c7318d.jpg
      117 KB · Views: 453

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I thought about this a bit and have a wild theory. Say that an assault weapons ban is passed and all ARs are now illegal. If I have an SBR with a stamp, that is the government telling me I can possess it. Suddenly only NFA items are legal.

Just a theory.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    To those with NFA registered ARs, what happens if Beto O'dipshit's idea for a mandatory buyback (confiscation) somehow makes it to law? Wouldn't having an NFA registered AR such as one that was SBRed make you an easy target for the Feds?

Yep. That is kinda why folks dont like registration.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I thought about this a bit and have a wild theory. Say that an assault weapons ban is passed and all ARs are now illegal. If I have an SBR with a stamp, that is the government telling me I can possess it. Suddenly only NFA items are legal.

Just a theory.

The government told us we could own bump stocks. How'd that work out for us?

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I do hear both of you about registration and confiscation. We dont want to go down that path ever.
    Where SBRs are different from bumb stocks is bump stocks aren't specifically mentioned and allowed by the NFA of 34.

The idea behind my original idea was he NFA of 34 calls out and identifies SBRs SBSs silencers. The stamp is me or anyone complying with the law including thorough background checks.
    The NFA doesn't necessarily identify the average AR.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    You won’t know until you see the law. They ca Write it any way they like.

Your post beat me by a few minutes so I didn't see it. You're right, any new law can be written any way. I was just going through a mental exercise using current law.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    NFA is what they want for the moment; weapons to be few in number and all registered. The european model... Of course at that point it would only be about three election cycles before everything is banned.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I’m hoping pistols don’t get reclassified as SBR’s...
    Ever read the text of the original Metzenbaum bill for an assault rifle ban from the late 1980s? That was the initial legislation upon which the 1994 ban was based.

The first draft defined as an "assault rifle" any firearm that took a detachable magazine that could hold more than 10 rounds and could be converted into a rifle. Since 99.9% of semi-auto handguns can be fitted with an extended magazine, a long barrel, and a shoulder stock, that first draft of the "assault rifle" legislation actually would have outlawed just about every semi-auto handgun in existence.

Yeah, re-classifying pistols as SBRs definitely seems like something they would do.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Ever read the text of the original Metzenbaum bill for an assault rifle ban from the late 1980s? That was the initial legislation upon which the 1994 ban was based.

Yeah, re-classifying pistols as SBRs definitely seems like something they would do.

Thank for posting, I hadn’t read the original text.

I think pistols might be in their line of sight since one was used in a recent shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    The tax stamp is nothing more than a receipt you paid a tax to construct a or purchase something. I doubt it covers you as get our of jail free card when the semi auto ban comes down.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Know of a couple of people who have buried weapons..........after a couple of years or so, they dug them up.........

Both had disastrous results.......it is not a given that you can... "just bury them".....

Top Bottom