• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Lots of stuff here.. didn't see if it is updated or not but James Wilson in Williamson County has gone from just not signing for suppressors to not signing for anything NFA. Rumor has it he will be out within a year though.

Anyone have any information on Hayes County? I have most of my stuff in trust but don't want to have to engrave my trust name (it is way too long) on anything.

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I've never quite understood CLEOs that refuse to sign forms. Is it just too difficult / time consuming for them? Do they think that by refusing to sign them they're keeping people in their jurisdictions from acquiring NFA items?

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    They'd rather not put their signature on a restricted firearm on the off-chance that you'll commit a crime with them and it comes back to haunt them come the next election. Basically, they're covering their arse despite the fact that personal applications have to go through extensive background checks.

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    that's quite possibly true, but if so, terribly misguided. I just can't imagine any sheriff or chief ever having to answer more than a question or two about it even if someone did something terrible. In any case- there's little to no even perceived culpability, and if some media tool tried to play it that way, a CLEO could easily say since he/she was never going to be the final approval authority regardless, it was 'in the interest of public safety' to sign the forms for eligible people so as to be involved in the process to know who was acquiring the items. All refusing to sign the forms accomplishes in the end is makes sure the CLEO will be one of the LAST people to know the item was even in the jurisdiction if something wrong, instead of one of the first, regardless. ;)

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Also, I think most CLEO don't even know what the National Firearms Act is and what NFA items are, much less the process/paperwork for obtaining/making one. I've had cops tell me that they didn't even know what a short-barrel rifle was or that a suppressor was legal for civvies to own.

jdp83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Has anybody ever heard anything about Murphy, TX (we're a small city nestled between Plano, Richardson, and Wylie in North Dallas)?

G.M. Cox

Police Chief

Are there any suggestions for how to go about talking with him? It seems like sending him an email makes it way too easy to say no.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Has anybody ever heard anything about Murphy, TX (we're a small city nestled between Plano, Richardson, and Wylie in North Dallas)?

G.M. Cox

Police Chief

Are there any suggestions for how to go about talking with him? It seems like sending him an email makes it way too easy to say no.

Call him and set up a meeting? :confused:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Spring, TX
    name: Mr. Xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx spring, tx 77386

phone: Xxxxxxxxx

email:

Comments/questions:
    In light of obama's desire to change atf rules concerning nfa weapons transfers - and the requirement that the cleo sign off on such transfers after a back ground check of the individual - will your office sign off on such requests?

I am an nra, tsra life member and chl holder. The slow dismantling of the country and the constitution is troublesome. Consequently, i hope you continue to stand with us and we can rest assured that you are on our side.

Respectfully,

xxxxx xxxxx

response:

yes sir...the sheriff will sign off on these if your criminal history is clear.
    I have attached a letter that the sheriff sent out months ago.
    Thank you

deanne riley
    executive assistant
    sheriff tommy gage
    #1 criminal justice dr.
    Conroe, texas 77301
    deanne.riley@mctx.org
    936-760-5872
    fax: 936-538-7797

UPDATE: Sheriff Gage WILL NOT SIGN OFF ON MACHINE GUNS. However, SBR's, SBS', and silencers are Ok.

Last edited:

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I slightly modified the letter from above to fit and sent it to the Tarrant county Sheriff. Below is the response.

Xxxx,
    I can assure you that Sheriff Anderson signs off on the weapons transfers if. . . .** Our criteria is to have the forms sent to my attention with a copy of the driver’s license.* Once received, the driver’s license is forwarded to our Dispatch for a COMPLETE criminal history check.* If this check comes back clear, Sheriff Anderson signs the forms.* If it comes back with a felony conviction, etc. – the forms are returned unsigned.* I hope this answers your inquiry - Sandra
    Thank you to Sheriff Dee Anderson. You sir will continue to recieve my vote and support.

AdamT

jiannichan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Little Elm/Frisco
    So, in light of the new NFA changes regarding an NFA trust...anyone in Denton county gotten anyone there to sign off on forms?

EDIT:

Sent an email to Lee Howell Chief of Police in Denton, and this was his response.

As long as Federal and Texas law will allows, I will continue to sign ATF forms after due diligence of checking the background of applicants for NFA weapons transfers.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Lee Howell
    Chief of Police
    Denton, TX

Last edited:

David

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    So, in light of the new NFA changes regarding an NFA trust...anyone in Denton county gotten anyone there to sign off on forms?

EDIT:

Sent an email to Lee Howell Chief of Police in Denton, and this was his response.

As long as Federal and Texas law will allows, I will continue to sign ATF forms after due diligence of checking the background of applicants for NFA weapons transfers.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Lee Howell
    Chief of Police
    Denton, TX

Chief Howell has always been pretty good about gun stuff. He's from the SO where they did it all the time. There are a couple of other avenues for signatures in Denton County.

Kobiash1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    little elm
    I live in Denton county, but in Little Elm. Has anyone had one of these CLEO sign off for any ATF license. FFL, Class 3, suppressors.
    Thanks Jerrt

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So I was talking to the guys at the Silencer Shop the other day. They have been looking into this potential upcoming problem (since they do sell 1 million worth of cans a month, they have a vested interest). They talked to Rick Perry who has a couple state level ideas for fixing the CLEO issue. If the new rules go through, Texans should be OK as long as we keep abortion Barbie from getting elected governor.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom