• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    i created a trust the other night for my own personal stuff just incase one night i get taken off this world. i was using quicken willmaker plus, and it was pretty simple to do. im thinking about about making a seperate one for the purchase of an SBR or supressor. i dont know what system im going to buy yet. i talked to a lady that sells class 3 systems and she stated that untill i know what im going to buy, i just have to put the line "NFA/CLASS 3 items to be purchased and identified at a later time and will be updated at the time of purchase" after i get all the paperwork signed and notorized, where do i send the trust to? if you can, pm me some advice and how you filled out your trust.
    any help would be great!
    thanks
    Guns International

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I dont have the answers to your questions but I would think long and hard before trusting willmaker for a NFA Trust. 10 years and 250k just seems like a lot to bet on a one size fits all program.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The few lawyers here who are qualified to help answer questions charge for the service. Anyone else is practicing law without a license when advising you what to put in the trust.

That said I don't "think" you'd get hit with 10 years and $250k fine for a trust without the correct wording after being approved. I think you'd get asked to change the trust so it's compliant. At best it's going to be a hassle if you're trust isn't setup correctly.

A good class 3 dealer will help you though getting all the forms and sending them out and recommend a good lawyer to help you on the legal end of forming a trust.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    That said I don't "think" you'd get hit with 10 years and $250k fine for a trust without the correct wording after being approved. I think you'd get asked to change the trust so it's compliant. At best it's going to be a hassle if you're trust isn't setup correctly.

I am sure it all depends on who finds the error and how pissed off they are that day. I personaly would rather not chance it.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ok, so what would be the difference between getting a trust, or going the other way about it without the trust? if i end up paying a few hundred dollars for a lawyer to make a trust, why not go the other way? ive looked at (i believe its sean cody's (sorry if its not right)) website and i understand the benefits, but its hard to believe that with all the people on this website and others, that no one has had any success making their own nfa trust. im not trying to be a thorn in the foot about things, i just want to know how to do it the correct way on my own. i appreciate all the help fellas

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    My feeling is if you are asking here for legal advice on the creation of a trust I should point you to a lawyer.

If you want to go the personal route, finger prints, LEO sign off etc the sticky at the top "NFA FAQ - How to Buy a Suppressor, Machine Gun, AOW, or SBR " should help get you started.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    ok, so what would be the difference between getting a trust, or going the other way about it without the trust? if i end up paying a few hundred dollars for a lawyer to make a trust, why not go the other way? ive looked at (i believe its sean cody's (sorry if its not right)) website and i understand the benefits, but its hard to believe that with all the people on this website and others, that no one has had any success making their own nfa trust. im not trying to be a thorn in the foot about things, i just want to know how to do it the correct way on my own. i appreciate all the help fellas

I just ponied up and got Sean to do mine. After reading it ... it's FAR more comprehensive than I would have concocted with Willmaker. It's one of those "buy once, cry once" deals. I just got my first Form 4 back, and I got another that is Pending. Just having a fall back (Sean) in case I had issues is worth it to me.

However, people have made their own trusts and gotten ATF approved Forms just the same, so it's kinda in your court.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Like anything else...."Do you feel lucky?"

I don't look good in prison stripes, and defending myself against federal charges could get expensive - so a few bucks on the front end was well worth it to me. Having a trust is fairly simple.....having a defective one isn't.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Sean did mine, too. I chatted with him, briefly, on the subject of Quicken vs his trust while he was working on my trust. If I remember correctly, he said the he's seen a few Quicken's get rejected for errors and omissions, but that he's never had one of his come back. Based on the number of trusts I've witnessed him put together on "demo nights", he's got quite a few out there.

I'm a bit biased since he wrote mine, but I would have to say if you are going the trust route, just hire Sean and have it done right the first time.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    Sean also did mine. Relatively inexpensive as lawyer fees go. Simple and painless. For me, I cannot risk losing my medical license simply because I didn't complete a homemade trust correctly.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Thanks guys. Let me know if I can help with a trust.

Like I have said, if you Have a question about your quicken trust, they won't pick up the phone.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I just ponied up and got Sean to do mine. After reading it ... it's FAR more comprehensive than I would have concocted with Willmaker. It's one of those "buy once, cry once" deals. I just got my first Form 4 back, and I got another that is Pending. Just having a fall back (Sean) in case I had issues is worth it to me.

However, people have made their own trusts and gotten ATF approved Forms just the same, so it's kinda in your court.

Same here.
    Working on my first transaction and good to know I can contact him if there is a hangup that is trust related.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Just give me a call. I have been out of pocket last week due to moving back downtown.

Top Bottom