DK Firearms

NFL says off duty LEO can't carry into games.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act says police can carry anywhere not federally prohibited, however, the NFL can refuse entry to anyone they want as a Private entity.

May want to read the law again, it does not say that and it specifically exempts itself from private property:

‘‘(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
    ‘‘(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restricts the possession of concealed firearms on their property;
    Hurley's Gold

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but if you are a licensed peace officer in Texas you are required to uphold the law both on duty and off duty. That said you are strongly encouraged to carry off duty since you are potentially liable while protecting the public off duty. That said most LEO carry off duty anyway. I thought there was a time where off duty were required to carry at all times.

Carry is specified but dept policy, not state law. Andy can tell Barney no loaded gun while on duty. No laws broken.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but if you are a licensed peace officer in Texas you are required to uphold the law both on duty and off duty. That said you are strongly encouraged to carry off duty since you are potentially liable while protecting the public off duty. That said most LEO carry off duty anyway. I thought there was a time where off duty were required to carry at all times. My impression was that Texas required its licensed peace officers to carry at all times? Scenario: Off duty cop at a game at Texas stadium and bad guy kills someone in front of unarmed off duty officer. Is that LEO potentially liable for the harm done to the injured person because they should have been armed and able to deal with that situation? (After all they are a "Peace Officer") licensed by the state of Texas to maintain the peace.
    Warren v. District of Columbia ruled that police have no duty to provide service (even while ON duty). So as an off-duty "civilian" — they are, after all, a civilian police force — they would still have no duty to protect you.

I see no problem prohibiting off-duty officers from carrying at NFL games. They are off-duty spectators, everyday people like you and me, no more, no less; they are free to drink a cold beer, get loud and enjoy the game. An NFL venue is NOT open to a substantial portion of the public. You cannot simply walk in. You must have a (high-dollar) ticket to gain entry.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They are off-duty spectators, everyday people like you and me, no more, no less;
    That would be an incorrect assesment. They retain their authority around the clock. There is no law that stipulates or differentiates between an "on duty" or "off duty officer". Futhermore, an NFL venue is indeed open to "a sustantial portion of the public", regardless of ticket price.
    Were I in your shoes I would familiarize myself with the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    They are off-duty spectators, everyday people like you and me, no more, no less;.

True, but everyday people are comprised of various groups. Some everyday people are A butcher, a banker, a drummer, CHLS, Cops, Felons, illegals, etc. Different laws apply to each of these everyday people.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Allow me to clarify. I have no issue with the NFL implementing this policy. I also have no issue with an off-duty LEO telling them to "pound sand" and carry anyway if he is within his legal rights. Just as I have no issue with CHL holders ignoring the "gun-busters" sign. I understand that certain civilians (LEO) are more equal than other civilians (non-LEO), but IMO (which only matters to me) is that LE are just as human as you and I.

I would inquire how jurisdiction comes into play though. Surely, not all of the "off-duty" officers are on the City of Irving payroll.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    True, but everyday people are comprised of various groups. Some everyday people are A butcher, a banker, a drummer, CHLS, Cops, Felons, illegals, etc. Different laws apply to each of these everyday people.
    An illegal has no right to defend himself and family? Then he shouldn't have the protection of any of our constitutional rights, send him back (I will take a hard-working illegal over a lazy natural any day)
    A prior felon doesn't have this right? If he's not worthy of or cannot be trusted with these basic human rights what is he doing walking amongst us?

Again, I know what the law says — that doesn't mean I think it's right.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    An illegal has no right to defend himself and family? Then he shouldn't have the protection of any of our constitutional rights, send him back (I will take a hard-working illegal over a lazy natural any day)
    A prior felon doesn't have this right? If he's not worthy of or cannot be trusted with these basic human rights what is he doing walking amongst us?

Again, I know what the law says — that doesn't mean I think it's right.

Uh, I was pointing out the so-called "everyday people" have different laws that apply to them.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Yeah. All that sign says to me is "We don't want your money!" I'm all for everyone carrying anywhere. Open carry, concealed, rifle, handgun — I don't care. If the Black Panther party can stand at a polling place intimidating voters, why can't I carry mine for my own protection?

Last edited:

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I would inquire how jurisdiction comes into play though. Surely, not all of the "off-duty" officers are on the City of Irving payroll.
    Texas Peace Officers have no restrictions on where they can carry in the State of Texas (With few exceptions). If you are a Texas Peace Officer, you are a Peace Officer and retain the rights and responsibilities of such, regardless of where in the state you happen to be standing.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Texas Peace Officers have no restrictions on where they can carry in the State of Texas (With few exceptions). If you are a Texas Peace Officer, you are a Peace Officer and retain the rights and responsibilities of such, regardless of where in the state you happen to be standing.
    I understood they can carry, but wasn't sure about enforcing laws. After some digging I found my answer (anything other than traffic violation with notification to supervisor at appropriate agency)

Top Bottom