• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    If the atfdoes not respond the Brady law does not prohibit the transfer If say the delay was on monday you can pick up the firearm on friday. This is according to the Federal Regulations guide from 2005.

LonghornAR15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Austin
    The law, as I understand it, is that if a purchase comes back delayed, the nics has three business days to give the dealer either a proceed or deny sale, not counting the day the form was filled out or the day you take the gun home. So yeah, fill out paperwork on monday, you can take it home on friday if the atf hasn't gotten back with the dealer, which they probably will not have. this doesn't include weekends. Be aware though, that some places, like Academy, have store policies that will not sell without a proceed from the atf, no matter how long it takes. You can contact DPS to clear up your record, most of the time if there has been an arrest and subsequent dismisall, they won't have the dismissal on file with the crime records division. It'll take some work, but you can straighten it up if need be.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The NICS examiner will give a date to the caller as to when the gun can be legally released. They should have told you this date, unless they have a store policy like Academy.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I believe the maximum time is 5 business days. The employee would have been given an exact date, and should have told you this date. By law, on the date given and afterwords, legally you can go pick up the gun if they haven't responded. Some stores may have a company policy in which they won't transfer the gun until they hear back from NICS as sort of a CYA thing.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    This crap just pisses me off to no end.
    A law abiding citizen is jerked around so some "touchy feely" liberal can feel like society is being protected.
    When are we going to take back our country??????????????????

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This crap just pisses me off to no end.
    A law abiding citizen is jerked around so some "touchy feely" liberal can feel like society is being protected.
    When are we going to take back our country??????????????????
    +10

Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    To make matters worse the dealer informed me the conceal carry laws will be stricter come January......BTW Thanks for all the help! I'll be picking up my Sig p229 Elite in .40 tonight! Pics ASAP!

Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    I was told the "process" will change. The vetting process will now take place first and the coursework subsequently. In addition, the eyes only people will simply be taking a better look at applicants backgrounds.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    So, I guess that means you'll have to send paperwork to Austin twice; once for the background check, and then again after the course is complete. It seems that would make the process take longer than it already does. At least it would save people from spending money on the course if they know in advance that their application would be denied. I'm curious, though - what drove the change? Why do they feel the vetting process used now is not adequate?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    I was told the "process" will change. The vetting process will now take place first and the coursework subsequently. In addition, the eyes only people will simply be taking a better look at applicants backgrounds.

As a CHL Instructor I haven't heard anything about this. Then again, we (instructors) are not very well informed about upcoming changes by DPS.

BTW, congrats on the Sig purchase. I love my 229!

sc020643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    pearland
    i always get delayed. i bought a glock 17l on gun broker, had it transferred to an ffl dealer in houston, and will have to wait until this thursday to pick it up. what a joy kill!!

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    If you have a common name and/or your name/birthdate is similar to that of a felon/other prohibited person, it can throw a delay on you. I don't know how you can fix that.

I have also heard that people in the military or others with government security clearances can also experience a delay, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    I have also heard that people in the military or others with government security clearances can also experience a delay, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Before I became an FFL or had my CHL I was in the Military, followed by a job with the DoD, and had a security clearance. My NICS checks were always immediately approved. My FFL used to joke about how he could barely finish giving my information before they approved it. I don't know if that was just me, but I've never heard of anyone, or had anyone, with a clearance getting delayed.

Top Bottom