• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    LMNOP and XYZ. But seriously.

NICS is National Instant Criminal Background Check System. VAF is Voluntary Appeal File. UPIN is Unique Personal Identifier Number.

You can read about it here, Federal Bureau of Investigation - Criminal Justice Information Services Division - Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs)

My issue is that I've been delayed on a firearm purchase, again. This happened to me in the 1990s and the FFL said it was probably that the system was bogged down since it was around Christmas time. The FFL said it may take a few hours. Several days later I was still on delay. I called the FFL and they said the time allotted for NICS to respond had expired, come get your gun. I did.

My next firearm purchase went right through, no problem.

Today, I was delayed. Again.

The only similarity to the last time and this time is that NICS was run at a gun show. That shouldn't matter.

The two difference are the first one was on a long gun and this time was a handgun. I have also moved from one state to another. All my personal info is and has long been up to date.

Today, the FFL asked me if I had been delayed before and what happened. I told him and he said if NICS doesn't respond by Thursday I can come get my gun. He also said that when I come to the shop he would give me some info on getting a UPIN. According to him, once you get delayed the first time, for whatever reason, you will almost always be delayed each time after. He said a UPIN is a good way of avoiding the hassle.

Does anyone here use a UPIN? Is anyone here an FFL that has used a UPIN when running a NICS?

I know my record is clean. Heck, I had a pretty good background check ran on me when I signed up to do volunteer work with our local PD. I'm a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) member. I own several guns that I bought from FFLs.

So says, if your info (name, sex, description, age, address) is similar to the info of someone who is prohibited from owing a firearm, the system might delay you. I always give my SSN on the form. I know people have the same name as me but, how many have the same SSN? It should be none.
    Target Sports

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    I hear ya. That's why I went today to buy a semi-auto. Get the gun I think I want to carry and practice shooting and carrying in the house. Once I'm up to speed, go for the CHL. I could rent or borrow a gun for the CHL. This delay thing has me concerned though. If I get delayed on buying the gun I want to carry, what's going to happen when I go for the CHL? I don't want to shell out that much money only to be denied. The solution is to get this resolved and I'm looking into it now.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    The moving shouldn't be an issue. I've had 5 addresses in 3 states in the last 30 months. I've bought firearms from FFL's while living at each of those addresses. Never had one issue with the NICS. My DL hasn't had a correct address on it in almost 2 years(once I get settled down in one place for longer than 6 months, I'm going to update it, along with getting my TX CHL). As long as I provide a copy of my PCS orders, they don't care.

If the NICS system works for me, there's gotta be something else going on with yours.

I have no idea what this UPIN is, though.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There is likely a scum bag out there with a name close enough to yours that they get nervous. The UPIN is kinda like saying "Hey - remember me - I'm the GOOD one with this name!" Or as others have noted, get the CHL and be done with it. Me, I opted for the CHL, even though I've *never* been delayed on a purchase.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    As I understand it, first you enroll in VAF. Once accepted, you get your UPIN. This allows NICS (the FBI) to keep your info on file from purchase to purchase. They are supposed to destroy the info. Not storing the info is why once you get delayed once, you have a good chance of being delayed every time. See, every time they run you and that hitch comes up, you get delayed. A UPIN is supposed to remind them that you are you and not that other guy or that whatever they've delayed you for is irrelevant because here is their own ok from last time.

Pursuant to the Final Rule enacted on July 20, 2004, by the Department of Justice in The Federal Register, Volume 69, Number 141, the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) National Instant Criminal Background Check System's (NICS) Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) has been established. This process permits applicants to request that the FBI NICS Section maintain information about them in the VAF, a separate file to be checked by the NICS, to prevent erroneous denials and extended delays in the future. Lawful purchasers who have been delayed or denied a firearm transfer because they have a name or date of birth similar to that of a prohibited person may also request that the FBI NICS Section maintain information about them to facilitate future firearms transactions.

Successful applicants will be provided a unique personal identifier number (UPIN) which they will provide to the FFL for all future purchases.

This does not exclude anyone from a NICS or form 4473. You can be kicked out of the program if you become ineligible to buy a firearm and you can voluntarily withdraw.

Looks like my most efficient and cost effective solution is going to be VAF UPIN, get this whatever this is cleared up, and then get my CHL.

On a good note, I guess this shows NICS really does destroy the info. Or, in my best Dale Gribble, "That's what they want you to believe."

On a bad note, NICS is flawed. My SSN is a unique number. One that was not meant to be an identification number but, we all know it is.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    FBI Contact Information
    fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm
    304-625-5590.

NICS Information Customer Service
    fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsindex.htm
    1-877-444-NICS (6427)

Every Day Man