• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There's ups and downs to it all. If you want to be able to move around, having your NV optic on your gun is going to turn out badly. Also keep in mind that if your only NV optic is on your rifle, you're going to point your rifle at everything just to look around for game.

There's a reason that traditional (daylight) hunters glass with binoculars and not their rifle scopes.
    DK Firearms

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Also keep in mind that if your only NV optic is on your rifle, you're going to point your rifle at everything just to look around for game.

That's the second time in this thread you've said that, and the 4th time it's been said in this thread. Drive it home! LOL

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    From their (TNVC) site.....

"Also, it illegal to allow a non-US Citizen to look through US Thermal Imaging Equipment, even on US soil. Again, this is a crime punishable by fines and prison sentences."

yimpyomp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014

"Also, it illegal to allow a non-US Citizen to look through US Thermal Imaging Equipment, even on US soil. Again, this is a crime punishable by fines and prison sentences."

Well I'm a citizen, so I think I'll be ok.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

That's good info for those of us who hunt in South Texas. LOL

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The PVS-14 is the most versatile NV you can buy. If it is the only thing you buy, you will not be disappointed. Head mount, rifle mount, handheld, with IR laser, without, Adapts to cameras for great pix. You name it, it can do. It is a must have unit for anyone serious about NV.

How you deploy it depends upon your situation. I prefer to rifle mount it since I generally shoot from fixed locations. Currently I have it behind a 300 BLK suppressed rifle with a Aimpoint CompM4 in front. I have it on a LaRue mount so it is easy on/off. For day I replace it with an Aimpoint 3x on a Larue.

Helmet mount is the way to go if you are going to be on the move, such as walking fields and stuff. In this case you will also want an IR laser on your gun, and you will most likely be point shooting based on the laser, not aiming through your scope.

I recommend contacting Ident Marking in Rockwall for all you NV needs. You can demo various stuff right there out back. They have some PVS14s that are Recoil hardened and can go on calibers > 5.56mm (Most ITT Pinnacle Tubes are 5.56mm or less).

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy

That's an antiquated law from when basically only the few superpowers had access to/had technical know-how to make night vision or thermal imaging equipment.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That's an antiquated law from when basically only the few superpowers had access to/had technical know-how to make night vision or thermal imaging equipment.

There is no such law, it is make believe.

Things this stupid do not even pass the sniff test. Cadillacs, Hummers, BMW and other brands had Thermal Imaging as options. Some of the cars were not even made in the US, but in Mexico and Canada. As do many commercial planes, piloted by ... foreigners.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    There is no such law, it is make believe.

Things this stupid do not even pass the sniff test. Cadillacs, Hummers, BMW and other brands had Thermal Imaging as options. Some of the cars were not even made in the US, but in Mexico and Canada. As do many commercial planes, piloted by ... foreigners.

I believe you missed the part where I said "antiquated". As in old, out of date.

Also just because something is manufactured in another country doesn't mean it comes to the US fully ready. Products created from US trade secret technology, if offered on foreign-made products, were manufactured and installed upon importation. It's not an issue anymore because almost any country has access to night or thermal optics, however back when this WAS a big deal (1970s or so), only a few countries had access to such technology.

Trade secrets (i.e. not government secrets, but secrets of technique and technology proprietary to US-based private corporations) are still a touchy subject for the most part. It is a federal violation to attempt to export trade secrets to non-approved countries, which is where that law originates from
    (which is why it says it was illegal for non-US citizens to look through US-made night and thermal imaging equipment).

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    You missed the part where I said "There is no such law, it is make believe." Thus if it never existed, it cannot be out of date.

"It is a federal violation to attempt to export trade secrets to non-approved countries, which is where that law originates from."

Or rather, that specific interpretation of said law.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    "It is a federal violation to attempt to export trade secrets to non-approved countries, which is where that law originates from."

Or rather, that specific interpretation of said law.

You are confused on these laws. Looking at a Thermal Imager is not exporting a trade secret. Trade secrets are IP owned by a company. They are generally unregulated. Probably the biggest recipient of US Company Trade Secrets is China, where the US goes for much of its MFG these days.

What you are thinking of is items on the US Munitions List, which are ITAR controlled. You cannot export say a Gen3 Night Vision Device without proper permits, but the idea that if a non US citizen happens to look through one is a violation of Federal Law is hogwash.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I still want that $4000 NV optic we messed with at the gun show the other day M Sage...thing was SWEET

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom