• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Been looking at the different night vision options. From $800 worth of SiOnyx auroras to $10,000 worth of pvs-15’s. Is it worth the investment in boogaloo force multiplication? Any of you guys running NODS?

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.
    DK Firearms

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One word:
    Infrared.

Don't know what you intended application may be but I'll give you a real world comparison.

If you spend 10K on PVS-15 you will likely not see a doe standing still in the brush at 50 yards.

With my IR Hunter (Now owned by Trijicon) I can see, and hit, a mouse strolling my firewood stack at 50 yards with ease. The doe will shine like a full moon. If that utterly motionless doe, in the brush, empties her bladder you will see the jet of urine exiting her perineum. THAT is some sort of cool. Weird but cool.

NO comparison.

Look at IR gear.
    I sold my PVS-14 when I got the IR.
    I still kept my PVS-7 because it is pretty awesome to use to drive ranch roads in utter darkness!!! Weird but cool.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a PVS-14, DBAL & pimped out helmet & several IR lights, or a shit loadof money invested. You basically need friends set up with it too or your going to get little use out of it. Then the problem become how often you & the boys get out at night some place y'all can really use it.

PVS-7's are better for driving as long as you have a good way of wearing them.

Wearing them .vs mounting on a weapon makes more sense in my mind. Mounting it on a weapon really limits you.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I can’t afford what I’m used to in the military (BNVD w/clip-on SWIR) and SWIR illuminators/markers.

In the sense of boogaloo ops, all the NIR shit is great until you illuminate something and spotlight yourself to LE and anyone else with NIR equipment, whereas SWIR isn’t widely available yet, even within the military.

But expect that to change.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Been looking at the different night vision options. From $800 worth of SiOnyx auroras to $10,000 worth of pvs-15’s. Is it worth the investment in boogaloo force multiplication? Any of you guys running NODS?

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.

I been looking at NV. Went through the spectrum of the more affirodable ATN offerings and made my way up to Thermal with Pulsar RXQ30V. But its pretty pricey, but entry level affordable relative to Thermal tech. I've been bewitch by it and I think that is the unit I'm going to save for.

I have a buddy who is current reviewing an ATN xsight model (don't remember which) but he's suppose to get back w me in a couple weeks.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I can’t afford what I’m used to in the military (BNVD w/clip-on SWIR) and SWIR illuminators/markers.

In the sense of boogaloo ops, all the NIR shit is great until you illuminate something and spotlight yourself to LE and anyone else with NIR equipment, whereas SWIR isn’t widely available yet, even within the military.

But expect that to change.
    Those sound fun.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I been looking at NV. Went through the spectrum of the more affirodable ATN offerings and made my way up to Thermal with Pulsar RXQ30V. But its pretty pricey, but entry level affordable relative to Thermal tech. I've been bewitch by it and I think that is the unit I'm going to save for.

I have a buddy who is current reviewing an ATN xsight model (don't remember which) but he's suppose to get back w me in a couple weeks.
    I’m also currently saving gift cards up for a RXQ30V.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m also currently saving gift cards up for a RXQ30V.

I’m considering one as well.

I already have an X Sight Pro 4K and it’s a great site for the money, but you need a good IR light to get its full potential. It comes with a much better light than the 1st and 2nd gen, but not great.

There are advantages and disadvantages between the two sight and both can go some things the other can’t. Speaking with a knowledgeable member about the RXQ he said I would probably not be able to make positive identification on animals past 100 yards with the thermal, but it did very well for scanning and spotting and should work for shots closer in.

I trust his opinion and feel like I did well to get the X-sight before looking at the entry level thermal. Now I have to decide if it’s worth 2 ground to fill in the few weeks spots of digital NV with a lower end thermal option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have a Sight mark Photon Rt Digital NV. Like YG stated above, you really need a good IR light. I got
    one for about $100 with a mount off amazon and can see pretty well out to 300. I almost bought a ATN thor Thermal, but decided to up my finances for something better. I am currently saving for a Pulsar XP50 trail.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My biggest issue with digital night vision has been caused by any kind of light fog in the air or in dusty areas if there’s a lot of wind. The IR light will reflect off of whatever is in the air and wash out the image.

On an X-sight Gen 1 I had there was an issue with the white balance adjusting to anything up close causing the background to go dark. Like taking a picture at night with the flash and getting a black background. It really hasn’t been an issue with the Pro 4K though.

The other area that Thermal will hold an advantage is when an animal is well camouflaged for its environment. But with the lower end units it will be tougher to identify what you are looking at.

Disclaimer: The comparison comes from advice I received on the RXQ30, not personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom