• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozzy Cliff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Perth
    Hi All, thinking of possibly putting on a Nightforce SHV in 4-14x50 with a Mil-R retical on my 6.5 Creedmoor ( when it arrives). Is anyone able to give a comparison to a Vortex Viper or Vortex Golden Eagle. Many Thanks.
    Guns International

Last edited:

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    What reticle and size/zoom you going with? Midway has them on sale

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I run the SHV 4-14x50 F1 on my MSG90 although with an MOA illuminated reticle. I like this scope allot, it seems pretty clear through all magnification ranges. I haven't put the Vortex PST's through any field use but I was able to handle a few at local shops. I feel like the SHV was a little more clear and brighter through magx. I'm not completely sure that the 2FP and the FFP SHV use the same glass though. The ruggedness of the Nightforce also pushed me that direction even though it's a little pricier.
    That's my limited experience with the Vortex for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Ozzy Cliff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Perth
    I run the SHV 4-14x50 F1 on my MSG90 although with an MOA illuminated reticle. I like this scope allot, it seems pretty clear through all magnification ranges. I haven't put the Vortex PST's through any field use but I was able to handle a few at local shops. I feel like the SHV was a little more clear and brighter through magx. I'm not completely sure that the 2FP and the FFP SHV use the same glass though. The ruggedness of the Nightforce also pushed me that direction even though it's a little pricier.
    That's my limited experience with the Vortex for what it's worth.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. I was browsing in one of my local gun shops here in Perth yesterday, and handling several scopes. The standout for me was the clarity of the NF SHV, the others seemed rather cloudy in comparison and yes they do look well made. The turret adjustments are nice and crisp. I had set myself a budget upto 2k, but don't mind exceeding if I have to. Do you think that 4-14 is enough for long range? This will be my first endeavour into the extended long range.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    How far do you plan on reaching out to? For my eyes I wish I would have went with a minimum of 20x on the high end of magnification and I'll do that as soon as I can afford to upgrade. What I do know is, you can't squeeze more magnification out of a scope. Personally a 5-25x seems to be a good sweet spot without getting crazy. It might not make you shoot better, but at least you can see the intended target with ease.

Another big thing for me was the light gathering at high magnification and was the main reason I had to upgrade. Lower quality scopes get a darker image the higher mag you go. If you shoot in lower light conditions, this can make all the difference.

I haven't shot 6.5 Creedmoor, but if eye relief is a concern, the SHV F1 might not be a good option for you. I don't have a problem with it on my .308. The 2FP SHV is a little more forgiving....just a consideration for you.

Here's another option for higher magnification and close to your budget. It's second focal plane if that matters:http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nightf...f8cDMTrT-NBnHV6BrJcJx4GhZAEy6nh_x3xoCwsvw_wcB

I looked at the ATACR models and they get really nice with their turrets and glass at that price point. http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-atacr-5-25x56mm-f1-zerostop-riflescope.html

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. I was browsing in one of my local gun shops here in Perth yesterday, and handling several scopes. The standout for me was the clarity of the NF SHV, the others seemed rather cloudy in comparison and yes they do look well made. The turret adjustments are nice and crisp. I had set myself a budget upto 2k, but don't mind exceeding if I have to. Do you think that 4-14 is enough for long range? This will be my first endeavour into the extended long range.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom