• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damonlan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Nikon P-223 for 22LR NRA 1/5 Silhouette

A couple of my 4-H kids have been shooting the Nikon P-Rimfire for 22 silhouette the last couple of years. Seems to work good. We just use the main cross hairs for the 4 distances since the bubbles don't match up with anything. We zero the turrets on chickens then adjust for the distances. The only complaint is the 7 power max is just a bit under powered, especially for the two longer distances.

My question is, has anyone ever used the Nikon P-223, which has a 9X power magnification for this purpose? I would like to shim up the rear mount and install this on one of our rifles for silhouette. I believe this will help the image a bit for our shooters.

Or, is there another scope with target turrets out there that my also do the job that is better that 7X magnification. Need to keep the price below $200.

Thanks

Damon
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    What are the two longer distances? Unless you have shooters with very poor eyesight, 7x should be plenty for up to and even beyond 100yds...

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Hey Damon,

As I mentioned on RFC check out the Nikon Target EFR. The elevation/windage adjustments are 1/2 MOA (which is fine for silhouette) and they are nice and defined with good solid clicks. Easily adjusted to re-zero, just lift and turn.

The biggest things for a silhouette scope is you need good tracking, an appropriate reticle, and an adjustable objective. For your budget the EFR has all that with excellent glass.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom