Venture Surplus ad

Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 or Prostaff 5 2-10x40 for short-barrel .308?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Just bought a Savage 10-TR 20" .308. It's getting four things - Brownell's Short Comp, a sling, a bipod and a scope.

I already have a Nikon 223 BDC on my AR and I use the Nikon Spot-On App on my iPhone. Love it.

For the .308, since it's a "short" 308, I want to treat it like a brush gun in terms of not mounting a scope as long as the barrel on it. It has a 0 MOA rail included and I don't plan on shooting past 600 yards.

Amazon has two Nikon scopes within $10 of each other and I'm torn between the two, so I'd love advice (links to Amazon - I am an affiliate through my blog but these are NOT affiliate links so I make nothing per-click/per-sale):

4-12x40 or 2.5-10x40

My thought is that the 2.5-10 looks a little more rugged, and I can't really think that 10x vs 12x will make NEARLY as much difference as 2.5x vs. 4x would if I'm wanting lower magnification. I'm more likely to want the down to 2.5x than the up to 12x, I think.

Thoughts? Advice?
    Capitol Armory ad

marktx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    league city tx
    I think your right to go with 2.5. I've got a Rem. SPS tact. 20" and had a 4.5 x14 buckmaster but put a 3.5 x10 Leupold on it. If you could scrape up some extra cash the buckmasters seem pretty nice to me. Have 3 and 1 monarch. Really like the nikons.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom