• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CC Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Corpus
    Nikon Prostaff Riflescope 3-9 x 40 with BDC Reticle Matte OR Nikon Buckmaster Riflescope 3-9 x 40 with BDC Reticle Matte. which is better one the Prostaff or the Buckmaster!:confused:
    Capitol Armory ad

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    The Buckmaster has slightly better glass. I was in the same boat when I picked up a Weatherby last year. I was able to compare both side by side, outdoors on both cloudy and sunny days and the Buckmaster was clearer all around. You may not be able to see much difference indoors, but outdoors it is easy to see which is better. With all that said, depending on your budget, I'd look at a Monarch. They are even better and comparable IMO to a Leupold VX-III as far as clarity. I'm not sure of the longevity, however, which Leupold is known for. In my situation my budget called for the Nikon Buckmaster instead of the Leupold VX-II and So far I am quite happy but I do think my Leupold VX-II on my Ruger is better. Sorry for the rambling, hope this helps.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I have the Nikon Silver Prostaff (3x9x40) that I like. I've looked through the Buckmaster, but only indoors, so can't really say that it's better than the Prostaff. I think you can't go wrong with either scope.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Get a Leopold I love mine and it is a fixed 7 power! no seriously both are good quality scopes I was going to buy a pro staff 3x9x40 until my buddy said he would trade me the Leopold for an old CB radio I had in my truck. I still use the scope the radio gave him 2 weeks before it fried.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The cheaper one! What caliber rifle is it going to sit on? the answer is the answer. If it is a heavy recoiling cartridge you will need a step up to handle the recoil. I had a scope that would not hold a zero on my .30-.06 but it did fine on a Friend's 222.

CC Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Corpus
    Hey Big country, its going on a Marlin XL7 270win. and I"m using Remington 130gr. I have a Redfield Tracker 3x9x40 its ok but its not clear. all my shots are about 200yd, my longest is about 400yd.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    its going on a Marlin XL7 270win. and I"m using Remington 130gr

I shoot .130gr Remington & Winchester ammo in my .270,also. I did great with a Tasco scope out to 225 yards, so the Prostaff or Buckmaster should work good at 200 yards. I've never taken a 400 yard shot, but I'm sure the Nikon scope will work fine.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I'm still in the "go with the Buckmaster" category, but you shouldn't have any problems with the Prostaff holding zero or making a 400yd shot assuming you pick the appropriate power scope. If you're planning on going out to 400, I'd say somewhere in this class: [URL="http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1713"][URL="http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1713"][url]http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1713[/URL][/URL][/URL]

or this: [URL="http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1705"][URL="http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1705"][url]http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1705[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Both of these scopes have Nikon's BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle that will work well with a .270win and make those longer shots a bit easier to judge. For 400yd shots I'd go with the higher powered Buckmaster since I couldn't find a Prostaff any higher than 3-9 (of course my google-fu may be weak this morning). I personally don't like the 50mm objectives due to the higher rings needed and the raised line of sight. Just my

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay then go with the cheapest Nikon you can that will have the x's required for 400 yards (pro staff or buck master) the recoil on the 270 should not be so terrible that a Nikon wont hold zero.

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    I've seen some deals on Buckmaster at Midway and Academy, etc. Price might not be a factor as much. Always buy the nicest scope you can, they will last a long time.

My brother put a Burris 4.5-14x42 FullField II, just like mine, on his 270 and loves it. It was $350, but he didn't get the free spotting scope like I did.

I am very comfortable shooting over 300 yards with this power in my 7mm mag. I hit a coyote at over 200 yards. My brother shot a 10pt with his 270 at 200 yards using the Burris. He used a 130gr SST I handloaded with R22 powder did the trick, around 3100fps.

Buckmaster is priced pretty close to FullField II. Walmart sells Buckmasters and Pro Staff, so I took a look through them. The Buckmaster was more clear. But I prefer my Fullfield II, I have 3-9 and 4.5-14, over Buckmaster.

Mike Boyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have the Pro Staff on my Rem 700 BDL .30-06, it is great! Couldn't afford more, but as it turns out, I didn't need more anyway. The BDC ain't too shabby either

Top Bottom