Nilgai Hunt

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
I think alot of guides/ranches suggest the big boys because a good mount of people cant shoot worth a shit. Maybe putting a .300wm through the guts makes it easier to find the animal instead of something weaker? My buddy is a head guide on a hunting ranch and the stories he tells me are almost unbelievable but he ain't lying.

MTA89,

When I was teaching shooting, I've seen NEWBIES miss, i.e., shoot over, the >8-FOOT-tall berm (behind the target-frames) altogether.

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
May 6, 2008
In a dumpy house on an expensive lot
I think alot of guides/ranches suggest the big boys because a good mount of people cant shoot worth a shit. Maybe putting a .300wm through the guts makes it easier to find the animal instead of something weaker? My buddy is a head guide on a hunting ranch and the stories he tells me are almost unbelievable but he ain't lying.
Every P.H. I ever hunted with either took the time to see if you could shoot or had heard of your shooting abilities from another P.H.! Last one I hunted with decided not to carry his rifle while in Africa. When ask why he didn't carry his rifle his comment was that I could shoot! In reality I mostly wanted to walk & stalk, and he was more use to the shoot from the truck or shoot from a blind hunters. Personally I think he was to lazy to carry his own rifle. He sure did like my binoculars better then his own.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
I am spoiled in that I hunt almost exclusively with actual shooters.

I have also seen what kind of fuckery takes place when folks who “hunt” once a year and don’t train at all take shots they have no business taking happens.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
My dad always brought his .270 along, because it wasn't uncommon for one of the the guests to have borrowed a gun which they had never shot, for the hunt. Often they wouldn't have been sighted in, or been knocked out of sight.
He'd let them use the .270.

ETA: This was for white tail hunts.

MTA89

CEO of Systemic Racism INC.
TGT Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Texoma
I am spoiled in that I hunt almost exclusively with actual shooters.

I have also seen what kind of fuckery takes place when folks who “hunt” once a year and don’t train at all take shots they have no business taking happens.
I was shown a video of someone shooting about a foot high over an axis deer at 100 yards. The “hunter” was adamant that 22-250 would be enough gun. If he shoots that bad imagine trying to track a 22 cal gutshot axis

There was another one who has never hunted before and wanted to use a bow. He shows up with the sight not attached

GeorgeS

Jul 7, 2018
San Antonio
i use 300gr. Swift A-Frames and Hornady 300gr. solids. More than two dozen African (jackals to Cape buffalo) and Asiatic (chital and nilgai) critters have fallen to my .375H&H rifles and none have exhibited much meat damage at all. Perhaps using a "soft" 270gr. bullet might do so, but not the bullets I use.

Recoil of the .375H&H is a "push" because it has a slow recoil impulse; my .470 Capstick recoils more rapidly.

Your mileage may vary.

candcallen

Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.
Jul 23, 2011
Little Elm
So, got the rifle and scope in, hopefully, I can get on the range this weekend.,

Thought you might like to see the round itself.

Right to left: 5.56, .308, 6.5CM, .375 Ruger

View attachment 232087
Enough gun.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics