• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Just neck punch it with whatever you take and you'll be OK.
    I personally like .450 Bushmaster and .500 S&W on large animals with dense flesh & bones.

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    nice! Which brand/model rifle did you get??
    Savage 110 Bear Hunter.
    20201026_180621.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I am spoiled in that I hunt almost exclusively with actual shooters.

I have also seen what kind of fuckery takes place when folks who “hunt” once a year and don’t train at all take shots they have no business taking happens.

Hoji, et. al.,

As long as I live I will NEVER forget being "pressured by my EX & her whole family" to take Margaret's twin brother hunting.
    (I used to get "numerous requests" to take out feral bulls from NETX farms. - This request was to kill a Brahma-cross bull that had been damaging fences in southern Lamar County & that was said to "look as big as a house".)

Note: My "deal" to remove feral cattle in those days was that I got to claim the animal as "meat on the hoof" for our Scout Camp near Idabel, OK.
    In those long ago days, I knew a man from Talco who would pick-up, skin out convert a wild bovine to hamburger meat for the Scout camp with the only cost to the camp was the butchering man keeping the head, offal, hooves & skin for himself.
    (1200-1500 pounds of hamburger meat FOR FREE made a real difference in the cost of feeding kids/leaders for our small & "not at all well to do" Boy Scout Council.)

As I had been "requested" several time to take the BIL hunting, I told David to join me for collecting the bull.
    (I remember telling him that, "This really isn't hunting but this time of year this is the best that I can do. ------ Presuming that I can find the bull, you can shoot him.")

Sure enough the bull ( and YES he was HUGE. - I would guess at least 1800 pounds of BAD ATTITUDE & MEAN.)

We exited the truck & made a big half-circle to come up behind him & with a about 15MPH wind into our faces. - Even with the wind in our favor, I chose to stop in the tree-line about 40M from where the bull was standing.

I handed David the (borrowed) .458 "sporterized" Model of 1917 rifle (the so-called, "American Enfield) & told him where to aim & then, "Take him. He's all yours."

The rifle BOOMED & the bull took off "like a shot" for "parts unknown".
    (It is almost hard to believe how fast that a wild bull can run when they want to.)
    Believe it or NOT, David had completely MISSED the bull!!

The ONLY "not so bad thing" was that the bull was so frightened by the big rifle's report that he was NOT (to my knowledge) seen again in the area. = That was the "rather odd end" of the fence damage of the farmer, who had asked me to STOP his fences being torn-up.

Needless to say that was the END of me taking the BIL hunting.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom