• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So my in-laws love Nissans. They’re good value...unless they have the dreaded CVT. Then they’re cheap cars that are disasters waiting to happen.

They’ve got a Murano their garage with a busted CVT...after trading-in a different Murano when it’s CVT let go.

They’ve been in CA for a few weeks, and were in Colorado City late Tuesday night when the CVT in their 2015 Nissan Rogue, 52k miles, let go. Thankfully they made it to a motel.

Wednesday morning I head out with a flatbed, it’s a 4 hour drive each way.

Get them loaded up, and I’m trying to figure out what to do. I have them call a Nissan dealer to do a VIN check to see if there’s any warranty.

Turns out, there’s exactly 2 days left on the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty!
    ”Bring it by so we can look at it ASAP”.

So they’re getting a new CVT.
    They won’t have to shell out $5k on a repair.
    And now I get to have a say in their next car LOL

I’ve also discovered that Mrs Pronstar’s suburban toes quite nicely despite 3.08 gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Guns International

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So my in-laws love Nissans. They’re good value...unless they have the dreaded CVT. Then they’re cheap cars that are disasters waiting to happen.

They’ve got a Murano their garage with a busted CVT...after trading-in a different Murano when it’s CVT let go.

They’ve been in CA for a few weeks, and were in Colorado City late Tuesday night when the CVT in their 2015 Nissan Rogue, 52k miles, let go. Thankfully they made it to a motel.

Wednesday morning I head out with a flatbed, it’s a 4 hour drive each way.

Get them loaded up, and I’m trying to figure out what to do. I have them call a Nissan dealer to do a VIN check to see if there’s any warranty.

Turns out, there’s exactly 2 days left on the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty!
    ”Bring it by so we can look at it ASAP”.

So they’re getting a new CVT.
    They won’t have to shell out $5k on a repair.
    And now I get to have a say in their next car LOL

I’ve also discovered that Mrs Pronstar’s suburban toes quite nicely despite 3.08 gears

Never seen suburban toes before....

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That CVT works great for side by sides and other utility carts, but that's about all it has any business being in.

Nissan advertised that their CVT had the highest torque capacity compared to other carmakers.

“Look, we put one behind a 3.5L V6! No one else can say that!”
    ...then the failures began.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The two vehicles with the most maintenance/reliability issues I’ve owned have been Nissan/Infiniti products. We got rid of one with the CVT and against better judgement picked up a second without the CVT. Even Consumer Reports recognizes Nissan has the lowest reliability among Japanese manufacturers and is very inconsistent in delivering even average reliability.

There will never be another Nissan/Infiniti product in our household again.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Guy at work said something about Nissan having a hush hush policy where they'll replace them outside of the warranty period due to all the failures. He has one in his Pathfinder, but he drives like a blue haired old lady so it'll probably last him forever.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The Nissan trucks seem to be doing pretty good. That Frontier is pretty tried and true at this point (it's been the same design for something like 12 years), and that Titan seems to be stacking up pretty well too. One of my colleagues has a Nissan SUV with the CVT so I'm waiting to see how this one holds out for him.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Nissan advertised that their CVT had the highest torque capacity compared to other carmakers.

“Look, we put one behind a 3.5L V6! No one else can say that!”
    ...then the failures began.

Torque capacity and CVT should not be used in the same sentence. Unless that sentence is "CVT's have horrible torque capacity".

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I had an 06 Sentra with a normal transmission and the engine had a double timing chain. Drove the hell out of it and it took every beating I gave it. Yes I took it camping in the mountains of Oregon. My 04 Titan...rip. Best truck I ever had and I had a lot. Transmission made it to 136k I believe without major issues. Engine was solid. Hell one year I was so broke I had to put 16k on a bad front wheel bearing and she took it. I beat the crap out of that rig camping and working.

seems what Nissan is making now is trash.

I got rid of my Titan to save on fuel and get a smaller truck. Why I’m driving my Colorado. I was not tempted to look at newer nissans.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The easiest way to tell if you're not sure is call the dealership and they can tell you based off your VIN. I MIGHT be able to look it up for you if you don't want to deal with the dealership, but I wouldn't know without trying. I'm typically looking up Fords, Dodge, and Chevy on my system.

If you go in your owners manual, there should be a section titled "Maintenance", and it will go over what you should be doing at what mileage intervals.

Top Bottom