• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Is that something a certified nissan mechanic will know to check?? I just dont know much about nissans and imports in general to know what does what etc.

Honestly, maybe... it really depends on the mechanic. Some are worlds better than others. Once you find a good one, take it only to him.

The tech at Nissan will have available to him the CONSULT computer which plugs into your ODBI port and reads various parameters. It will tell him alot of valuable info.
    Texas SOT

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    You're right. Sorry for the off-topic stuff.

Same here!!!

Good piuckup Alan - pun intended.

Description and Operation Notes Idle Speed Control System
    41858493.jpg

CIRCUIT OPERATION
    The idle speed is controlled by the amount of air that is allowed to bypass the throttle plate through the auxiliary air control (AAC) valve. The AAC valve is turned ON and OFF at a rate between 100 and 200 Hz. The ECU calculates the duty cycle (frequency of ON/OFF signals) necessary to maintain the proper idle speed, compensating for transmission gear position, electrical and accessory loads.

IACV-Auxiliary Air Control Valve
    42317000.gif

AUXILIARY AIR CONTROL VALVE
    The auxiliary air control (AAC) valve, located on the back of the intake plenum, controls the idle speed. It receives a pulse signal from the ECU which opens and closes an air passage allowing a precise amount of air to bypass the throttle plate.

Testing and Inspection Notes AAC Valve Resistance Test
    42318132.gif

1. Check resistance of AAC valve with an ohm meter. Should be approximately 10 ohms.
    AAC Valve Inspection
    42318133.jpg

1. Remove the valve and inspect the plunger for sticking.
    2. Inspect the spring for breakage. Replace the valve if it fails the above tests.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Hey Sage!

It just dawned on me how you and I sounded like two tech's standing in a bay arguing about the diag on a customer car that neither of use has even opened the hood or started the dam thing up to verify the customer complaint.ROFLMAO!!!

All we did was read the RO and the customers complaints and right away knew the answer. LOL!!!

Then Alan walks buy the bay and chimes in and we both back up and go - dam he could be right too.

This is just funny and a true demonstration of human nature and confidence in ones own knowledge.

Have a good day Sage and sorry of I offended!!!!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Re: Nissan truck

You said in your first post how it won't idle but runs fine at highway speed. I agree that it could be an ECT, TPS or IAC motor, however, sometimes you should just get back to square one and run a compression check on all cylinders. How did the plugs look when you replaced them ? They are sometimes your only physical diagnostic resource for how a cylinder is firing. Knowing its an early 90's vehicle, there's a good chance it's just worn out(rings,valves,etc.). It is a very common characteristic of a low compression engine to not want to idle. Furthermore, the early 90's vehicles(pre-OBDII) were not capable of determining a misfire due to low compression/weak cylinders because most of them did not have a crankshaft position sensor at the crank and would never interpret at weak cylinder as a problem until it began to effect the oxygen or knock sensor. Anyhow, goodluck with it and be sure to let us know what fixes it !

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No offense taken MadMo.

Honestly, maybe... it really depends on the mechanic. Some are worlds better than others. Once you find a good one, take it only to him.

The tech at Nissan will have available to him the CONSULT computer which plugs into your ODBI port and reads various parameters. It will tell him alot of valuable info.

+1 on keeping a good tech once you find 'em. There are more than enough knuckle heads out there these days.

A good aftermarket scan tool should be able to do everything that the CONSULT can.

Texas Toad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Try the idle air control . it has a by-pass that gets cloged or the pendilum inside sticks.. there is no way to repair it. I have had this kinda problem on 90's hondas that would -- Surge idle.. hope this helps TX TOAD

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    well more problems

Today the speedometer and the odometer went out as well as the shift marker light. Might be time for a new truck. At 16 years old there might be more problems ahead.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Maybe the shiftmarker light isn't out it just has no input from a speed sensor(for speedometer or drive cable) that also tells you when to shift. You can check by cycling the ignition key to the run position and just watching the bulbs cycle without starting your vehicle.Typically the speedometer on a cable driven system also makes the odometer turn. Anyhow, none of 'em last forever, maybe it is time for a new truck.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I realized something about the speedometer, odometer and shift light problem.. Well, a couple of things, actually.

First, I remembered that Nissans were fond of chewing up the speedo drive gear. It's plastic and not hard to change at all.

Then I did some looking and found out that your truck does indeed have a cable to drive the speedo. Broken cable will cause the shift light to stop working (since the computer is no longer getting speed signal; the vehicle speed sensor is in your speedometer) and of course make the odometer stop moving. I'd pull the speedo drive assembly from the transmission (like I said: easy) and look at the gear on it. Does it have teeth or no? Look inside at the gear that drives it; does it have teeth? Hopefully the one inside does, or it's much harder to fix...

If the driven gear attached to the speedometer cable has messed-up teeth, just get a new gear from Nissan. If not, you'll have to check the cable to see if it's any good. Put the gear drive back together, pull the cable off the speedometer and drive unit (probably have to pull the speedo to do this), spin one end of the cable while someone watches the other end and you'll be able to see if the cable is good.

If the other two pieces of the system are good, it's (obviously) the speedometer head that's bad. Junkyard time!

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    well the good news and bad news

the bad news is its $611.42 to fix everything on the truck. The problem is the intake manifold gasket is shot and its creating a bad vacuum. Also after talking to my mechanic this truck doesnt have a speedometer cable, it has sensors in the gauge cluster. So my uncle's in law will fix it, he has a shop in cedar park called witt's automotive.

Heres the good news I found a dodge cummins diesel with 4wd, its a 93 for 2500. I found my farm truck.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    the bad news is its $611.42 to fix everything on the truck. The problem is the intake manifold gasket is shot and its creating a bad vacuum. Also after talking to my mechanic this truck doesnt have a speedometer cable, it has sensors in the gauge cluster. So my uncle's in law will fix it, he has a shop in cedar park called witt's automotive.

Heres the good news I found a dodge cummins diesel with 4wd, its a 93 for 2500. I found my farm truck.

Wow I can't remember the last time I saw a intake leak on Nissan truck, on any Nissan for that matter.
    Still a good truck and worth the cost to fix.
    Good luck!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Some of the Sentras IIRC had an issue with intake manifold gasket leaks.

Yeah but when I think of intake leak problems that are common I think GM - LOL!!!!
    Seems every time I am at a red light or pull into a parking space near a GM vehicle, you can smell burning Dex-Cool.!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yeah but when I think of intake leak problems that are common I think GM - LOL!!!!
    Seems every time I am at a red light or pull into a parking space near a GM vehicle, you can smell burning Dex-Cool.!

Hell what about the 4.8-6.0 family in gm I've where I can change them in about 20 min.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    i know 16 years isnt a lot on a nissan but, that many years on the original intake gasket sure seems a lot to me.

Alot has to due with if its ever been overheated and if its been taken care of regularly. Certain types of gaskets and if the intake and the heads and block are different materials.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    We're starting to stray off topic a bit...

i know 16 years isnt a lot on a nissan but, that many years on the original intake gasket sure seems a lot to me.

A lot (lot) of cars and trucks never need an intake gasket replaced. But hey, it happens.

How'd they find the leak? Smoke machine?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Mr. Witt could tell right off the bat it was the intake gasket. The truck will be ready by Thursday. One of the best things I like about him is that he has ammo displayed everywhere in his shop.

Top Bottom