Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Since it doesn't "go bad"
    The best (most consistent and accurate) factory pistol ammo I have is my last few boxes of Western .38 Special target wadcutters from the 1960s; I inherited a bunch of it from an uncle. I also still have one unbroken case of original CCI Blazer .22LR, the ones in the blue plastic boxes, that my mom bought in the 1970s.

I'm sure glad this stuff doesn't go bad. :)
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The government even regulates the pay scale of contractors employees and it's way about minimum wage.
    I assume you meant "above" not "about." Also, I guess that's new.

I retired 8 years ago. Back then we had contracts let for, say, IT grunts. The contract would go to a big corporation that donated a lot of money to the President's campaign. They subcontracted to a preferred-category-owned business. They subcontracted again regionally. The regional IT firms subcontracted to local IT support businesses. Those businesses literally hired any ex-Best-Buy repairman who could BS his way through an interview. Those guys showed up on site, clueless, and being paid rock bottom money, at or barely above minimum wage with no benefits. They were always shocked that the regular employees knew what each other made, knew each others grades, and it caused absolutely no friction in the workplace. And they were even more shocked that we freely shared that information with them.

Of course, all the paper-shuffling companies above those workers had taken their cuts, i.e. most of the contract. When it came time to actually staff a position, so many entities had skimmed the contract so many ways that they couldn't afford to pay reasonable wages to the poor slobs who took the positions.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've got a few shot shells from the '60s (paper sleeve) and probably some of the earliest plastic sleeve shells. (Think 'The Graduate': "get into plastics... that's where the money will be").

I did buy a fair amount of CMP Greek 30.06 for my Garand and most of those headstamps go back to the 1960s - but I also sorted through that stuff and found a few rounds as far back as 1947. It all still looks to be in good shape - no corrosion around the primer, case in good shape, etc. IF I fire the really old stuff, it'll probably be on a single shot basis - don't need no squibs!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    And now it looks like Winchester as well, only starting 2/1/21....

tpk9k1qrjqd61.jpg

Top Bottom