• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I went to Frys Electronics on I-45 near West Rd. There was a No Guns and Weapons sign, but there was no 30.06 sign.

And?

Stores and malls all over the place have them. I assume they are trying to help the criminal element types out by reminding them that illegally carrying a weapon is illegal and isn't allowed therefore they might be breaking the law.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I don't bother with Fry's anymore. They are like Target, they NEVER have the stuff they put on sale. Help is nonexistent. I don't need that kind of hassle. For fun in that neighborhood go across the freeway and walk thru Harbor Freight. Fry's just sucks and I'm too old to do business with those bottom dwellers.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I ignored the sign and went in. I also find it strange that they want to check your bag as you exit.

I hear that process is not designed so much as a customer anti-theft initiative as it is a method to prevent internal theft.

It is of course completely optional since transfer of ownership of the goods occurred at the register. The guys with the highlighters won't try to stop you if you keep on walking. Even if they suspect you of theft all they can do is call the police - forcefully or coercively detaining you in any way is illegal.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    . Even if they suspect you of theft all they can do is call the police - forcefully or coercively detaining you in any way is illegal.

Not necessarily. If the have reasonable grounds to suppose you have stolen or are attempting to steal they can detain you. This is covered in both the Code of Criminal Procedures section 18.16, and the Civil Practice and Remedies code section 124.001

That said, it is not reasonable to believe everyone leaving your store as committed or is attempting to commit theft.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    after working for fry's in the car audio installation department, i will never shop there again.... that was the WORST job i have ever had, their stores are so mis managed and full of refurbished CRAP it is unreal....

we were slow in the install bay so i went out to help in customer service i personally handed a guy 6 different motherboards of the same model number, because he kept taking them home and bringing them back....

our pc dept thought he might be shorting them out, so they grabbed one he has, and 2 more off the shelf.. guess what, they had the same problem....

they guy asked well i bought this model, and they don't work, what am i going to do... before any one could speak out i said you should go and get what ever motherboard would suit your application and get it, regardless of price for your inconvenience of coming up here 6 times today, the manager looked and me and said that's a good idea...never mind that mean look he was giving me at the time, the guy wasn't greedy and picked one about 20 bucks more than what he was trying to buy...

after that i never saw him back to return a motherboard....

they buy refurbished products a lot, only they are packed and labeled as new...

untested and unrested, for the consumer at least

So what you're saying is that as an ex-employee, you are publicly stating, that Fry's knowingly and intentionally commits Federal FTC violations? Federal Crimes? :1zhelp:

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Not necessarily. If the have reasonable grounds to suppose you have stolen or are attempting to steal they can detain you. This is covered in both the Code of Criminal Procedures section 18.16, and the Civil Practice and Remedies code section 124.001

That said, it is not reasonable to believe everyone leaving your store as committed or is attempting to commit theft.

My error. I know that almost no store will attempt to detain suspected shoplifters and have drilled into their loss prevention people to never attempt to apprehend a suspected shoplifter. Perhaps this is due to the potential civil liability and the national mindset of even local retailers rather than any basis in TX law.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    So what you're saying is that as an ex-employee, you are publicly stating, that Fry's knowingly and intentionally commits Federal FTC violations? Federal Crimes? :1zhelp:

Fry's has been sued and investigated so many times that you almost never see their infamous sticker basically stating:
    "The contents of the box are returned, we are selling it as new at a slightly discounted price, and Fry's will honor all terms of the manufacturer's warranty of the OEM fails to because of the return."

Every time I've returned something to them in the past few years it's been RMA'ed to the OEM rather than put in the bin for re-pack and stickering...

onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    The Fry's by our house didn't have any no guns signs the last time I was there. I'll have to go browse the store to see if they've added one lately.

And they never check our bags, just swipe the receipt with their little pink highlighter and tell you to have a nice day. I can't remember the last time they even looked me in the eyes while doing that.

Top Bottom