• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    My cousin took me to hunt for hogs in Huntsville yesterday. Well I should say hunt for actual hogs, not fat chicks at SHSU. :p

He just started this hunting lease up in Crabbs Prairie in Huntsville. Anyways I saw a bunch of Doe, but NO hogs at all. Does anyone hunt up there that can give me some insight?
    DK Firearms

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    As dry as it's been if there is no water on the place there won't be hogs. Also the dry ground makes more noise so approaching hogs that hear very well could be a problem. Last week I drove 3.5 hours to a friends to whack some of his hogs only for them to appear 2 hours after we left.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    As dry as it's been if there is no water on the place there won't be hogs. Also the dry ground makes more noise so approaching hogs that hear very well could be a problem. Last week I drove 3.5 hours to a friends to whack some of his hogs only for them to appear 2 hours after we left.
    +1
    Hogs are highly nomadic, and unless there's a good source of water they won't hold in one place for long. My ranch in San Saba County is usually overrun with hogs--I've killed over 100 of them in the past two years--but I haven't seen many around in the past month. In this case it's the opposite situation--there's been so much rain in San Saba that there's water everywhere and they have no need to hang around my tanks.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I knew there was a good reason I didn't see any. Thanks guys!!!

No fat chicks for me anymore, I quit that after I got out of the Air Force. LOL!!!

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    He just started this hunting lease up in Crabbs Prairie in Huntsville

I use to hunt down the road from Crabbs Prairie (Bedias). That's a nice area. We also had the same problems when it got very hot and no rain, the hogs would start running at night.

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    The ROTC Rangers at SHSU had some pretty intense manuevers in the woods outside of Huntsville around the end of the semester. Maybe all of the simulated artie scarred the pigs off?

Hang tight, the pigs will return.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Here in Comanche County I'm seeing them on the highway, ran over and killed by cars and trucks. Usually in the vicinity of bridges and culverts. Which means that they travel the creeks and dry creeks. Live feral hogs not usually seen in daytime but in the night time and in groups of several.

The huntsville area if there are unpopulated places there likely has feral hogs but you will only see them at night in fields eating crops or crossing roads and highways. Where by the way, we aren't allowed to shoot from or on the roads.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    anyone see that hogzilla show on animal planet?
    somebody brought over eurasian hogs and let them loose around GA they are being a big problem now. getting up to 1100 lbs... WILD!

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    quick question for yall. Ive only been hog hunting once and it was with a friend and i borrowed his 30-30. i dont own any rifles and dont really have any i can take with me when i move to huntsville. Is it possible to hunt hogs with a 12 gauge? or is it not recommended?

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    The hogs will return. Try the Jolly Fox. That place used to be overrun with 'em.
    lol. i live almost next door to the jolly fox

Very good write up on coon wrasslin! And yes you can shoot pigs with a shotgun just use slugs. Or get a rifle or a 44 mag.
    good. i just bought a box of slugs the other day, and a friend of mine told me today that he has tons of hogs on his property of up there. looks like ill be huntin some hogs pretty soon

Top Bottom