Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You can add the keyless entry if you have remote locks (key fobs).
    Nope for me. Mine is pure base trim. No electric windows, locks, mirrors. No carpet. I think the only option (if it was an option) on my truck is the cassette player. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Isn't there aftermarket cruise control?
    Sure. My experience with them is that they never work right.

Of course, my experience is very old so if someone wants to tell me they're now reliable, I might give them another look.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Of course, my experience is very old so if someone wants to tell me they're now reliable, I might give them another look.

Vacuum based aftermarket systems were horrible. Current electronic systems seem to fare better if your vehicle will accept one.

ETA: why the focus on external keypad entry? There are other keyless methods.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    You can add the keyless entry if you have remote locks (key fobs). It's a stick on that works just like the built in models.

I just replaced mine on my work truck as the batteries are not replaceable.

I couldn't get it to connect at first (before I stuck it on) but found it has two different internal modes. Online help saved me on that one.

I love the keyless entry. Couldn't imagine not having it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Is that just a Ford thing, or is in universal?
    I’d love to have that on my truck…I dunno why it hasn’t caught on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    why the focus on external keypad entry? There are other keyless methods.
    A couple of reasons.
    1. I've found myself in a number of situations where I wanted to lock everything in my car and carry absolutely nothing with me - no key, no key fob, nothing except my ID and some cash.
    2. I'm ridiculously absent-minded. I've locked my keys in my car many times. I've even locked my keys in my car while the car was running...more than once.
    Over time, I've found an ability to unlock my car with just a memorized code to be incredibly helpful.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Just rig up a pull throttle with tension device :laughing: Run a cable thru the dash right to the throttle body.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    yall and yer chebbys and ferds, we all know that Toyoder is clearly the best brand, unironically

I am a Toyota Supremacist, and I never buy new cars.
    My last company trucks were a 2012 F250 and 2017 F150. Glad they were company owned with the repairs they required. When it was time for a personal vehicle I chose a Toyota Tacoma. I expect to drive it until I'm too old to drive.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Nope for me. Mine is pure base trim. No electric windows, locks, mirrors. No carpet. I think the only option (if it was an option) on my truck is the cassette player. :)

I prefer not to regress to the stone ages. While I agree that the new ones are a computer nerds delight they are also handy. Most electronics one past infantile mortality has a 100,000 hr life expectancy..

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    My last company trucks were a 2012 F250 and 2017 F150. Glad they were company owned with the repairs they required. When it was time for a personal vehicle I chose a Toyota Tacoma. I expect to drive it until I'm too old to drive.

Let me guess: EcoBoost motors.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A couple of reasons.
    1. I've found myself in a number of situations where I wanted to lock everything in my car and carry absolutely nothing with me - no key, no key fob, nothing except my ID and some cash.
    2. I'm ridiculously absent-minded. I've locked my keys in my car many times. I've even locked my keys in my car while the car was running...more than once.
    Over time, I've found an ability to unlock my car with just a memorized code to be incredibly helpful.
    There are apps now that cars have modems in them.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm willing to accept a great deal more automation than is present in my truck. But asking me to rely on an app on my phone to do anything important with my car is something I just won't do.
    I like fords app. I can lock unlock start heat cool and monitor fuel and air pressure from anywhere cause of the cell modem.

I never once used the key panel on any of the dozen fords I've had them on.

I do enjoy not having to fish out keys or a fob on a couple that were touch sensitive. You touched the door handle and everything opend up as long as the fob was outside the car.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I do enjoy not having to fish out keys or a fob on a couple that were touch sensitive. You touched the door handle and everything opend up as long as the fob was outside the car.
    So, when you want to walk around without the key fob (or keys or phone) on you, how to you lock it in your car?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So, when you want to walk around without the key fob (or keys or phone) on you, how to you lock it in your car?

You can lock via Ford app with fob in the vehicle. Helps to put the fob in a faraday bag and hide it someplace unique to prevent theft of the vehicle if someone breaks in. Most insurers will not honor a claim if the key/fob is left in the vehicle.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    when you want to walk around without the key fob (or keys or phone) on you
    What's the use case for that? Activities with a high probability of getting arrested?

For the keyless entry cars the fob just stays in my pocket and I never think about it. Doesn't need to come out of the pocket to start the car either so I won't accidentally leave it in there. It's light enough that I could walk around in gym shorts and never know it's there. I don't wear gym shorts in public however as I find the gun pulls them down ;)

I generally detest gadgets in cars, but keyless entry and the backup camera are the two modern conveniences I actually like.

Top Bottom