• ...and so much more!
  • echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Hi Shooters

Here's some poor picts of my undocumented SKS bring back.
    I bought the story, the rifle was cheap, cheaper than the going rate at the time.

The scoop I got was from the Nam vet's widow. He had passed recently and she just wanted his crap gone. All she said as I headed out the door was: "He brought it back from over there". I didn't press for any details, as there was a marked sense of urgency to vacate the premises. Didn't know the folks personally, but there looked to be tension about.

The rifle's stock, TG, mag, receiver cover, and bolt match, the bolt carrier doesn't. It's in the 7 million range, '62/'63? It had a saggy bayo that I swapped but have since put the original back. Lots of wear at the muzzle, and it shoots really crappy. And of course no import stamp for what ever that's worth.

I think I only had about 5 or 6 SKSs when I picked this one up, and was I still pretty green about the platform. It and an FN49 were the last Kali Cash & Carry guns I bought.
    It looks the part, and for me it's the real deal, as I won't be parting with anymore SKSs anytime soon. PAX

Military Camp

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    The pic is too blurry, but if there is a 26 inside the triangle, than you have one from the factory that used russian tooling. They tend to be better than the other arsenal #'s.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Thanks fellas. No M21 (I wish), it's an arsenal /26\, PAX

Reactions: gll

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Did the Russians build them with the spike bayonet? Or was this a Chinese build with Russian equipment? The reason I ask is because the Chinese build of the AK47 (Type 56) had a spike too.

The earliest Russians had a cuneiform spiked bayo, like a Mosin M44, and the earliest Chinese built SKSs were assembled on Soviet equipment (likely by Soviets), with no arsenal stamp. SKSs transitioned from blade to spike when the AKs came around, more or less. PAX

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    I thought the non papered guns were a grey area as far as legality. I have an old friend from San Antonio whose dad had an AK bring back from Vietnam. Awesome history but idk if they're worth the potential risk.
    Unless it is select fire and falls under NFA (as in your frined's dad's AK) as long as it was brought back pre GCA of 1968, it should be okay.

echo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. Became very good friends with my FFL and he damn near gave me his M21 Vietnam bring back. Highly cherish it.
    My go to 01 FFL hung up his shingle in '19. He's done me right always. He'd hold on to rifles until I brought in 5, and process those 5 on one 4473 for $25 bucks. 1 or 5 it was the same fee, even when they were brought in from the other 48. I've gotten 2 Romanian SKSs, 2 Glenfield/Marlin 60s, a NFA lower, an SVT40, and an Winchester Garand from him over the decades. The SVT I got at the end of a gun show I gave him a hand with. He had it listed for $1300, and I offered him 2 Bubbad Chinese SKSs and 2 Big 5 Mosin 91/30s, and he went for it. I've gotten a mess of ammo from him in the past too. I'm still shooting $2 a box Uly of his.
    You seem to have a six sense for finding unique SKS rifles. Nice find.
    Up until the plague frenzy, daily I would peruse the major forums, looking for SKSs and parts mainly, and follow threads of interest. On GB a guy started a discussion about a $200 SKS Paratrooper he just picked up. 5 posts in he happens to mention he really doesn't care for non milsurp (commercial) SKSs. Post #6 was from me, "PM inbound says I". $300 dollars later a Paratrooper is headed my way. :cool: That's how you end up with 39 SKSs. I had also routinely cruse all the gun shops within a hunnerd miles, usually for leather goods, but I did manage a few good SKS buys from a shop that looked down on SKSs. 2 Albanians & 2 Chinese. Another LGS had a Public Security rifle (their Gestapo). He just thought it was just another Chinese SKS and wanted it gone, so I obliged him.
    I thought the non papered guns were a grey area as far as legality. I have an old friend from San Antonio whose dad had an AK bring back from Vietnam. Awesome history but idk if they're worth the potential risk.
    AKs are a whole different ball game being full auto. Even in Kali up until 2014, paper wasn't required for any C&R and many milsurp guns. The BATF has a list. So if you have items prior to '14 in Kali, there's no documentation required, unless you're an 03 with a bound book. PAX

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston

BIG difference between an unrestricted semi-auto SKS and a select-fire AK-47 machine gun.
    Your friend's gun may be registered, many were and the paperwork forgotten about.

Eli

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    They were only papered to be able to bring home as battlefield pickup. The AK were demiled. When we arrived CONUS we had to declare anything we were bringing in. After they are here what would make then illegal?

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    They were only papered to be able to bring home as battlefield pickup. The AK were demiled. When we arrived CONUS we had to declare anything we were bringing in. After they are here what would make then illegal?
    The DEMIL was oftentimes a DEWAT - DEactivated WAr Trophy - and legally still a machine gun as a result of GCA-68.

Eli

Top Bottom