TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    sure this would be great, but...
    1 I have 2 teenage boys
    2, 3. Not having a lawyer in any legal proceeding is not a got idea, and not having representation when you're 9000 mile away is just stupid. Totally not true, in fact she tried to get her fees assigned to me
    4. Was no time for that. I left 3 days after I got served. She drained the bank account the same day.
    5. Not at all, in fact the judge evicted me. I'm still on the deed and mortgage.
    6.Yes, but there's a $400k trust for my kids college, retirement accounts and "mixed" assets.
    7. The court, her lawyer and she aren't waiting. In fact if I don't go home at Easter, she'll get everything free and clear and I'll be in contempt.

Find a place for your kids to stay and stop making payments.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Find a place for your kids to stay and stop making payments.

May not be the best of advice. If he has equity in the house, he gets half in the divorce. If he stops paying, they will likely foreclose. He needs to protect his asset.

Get a lawyer quick. Don't let her take it all.

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I have a lawyer and he's doing a pretty good job so far. Communication is excellent given distance and time difference. The judge is a PITA, keeps asking why I'm not at the hearing and openly questioned my lawyer if I cared, and has intimated he intends to move forward with or without my presence.

So to abbreviate my question, does anyone think DPS would suspend my license if I don't tell them about being overseas until I come back permanently? I'm not planning on doing anything about my drivers license at this time, and you can use a mail drop for DL but not CHL (I checked on that one).

91wm6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I have had similar experience and I know first hand family courts favor the woman in these situations. The judge is an egotist asshole and likely won't cut you any slack just because you're out of country for work. I can tell what kind of woman you're dealing with by your comment "I'm worried she will report me to DPS for not updating my residence". Here's what I recommend.
    1. Have your attorney petition the judge to physically take custody of any remaining firearms(I bet she's sold them all). If she hasn't sold them yet she will, and there is no recourse under Tx law.
    2. All communication should be through your attorney so she can't claim domestic violence based on verbal abuse(protective orders are easy to get, and there is no accountability for women who lie or make fraudulent claims to obtain them)
    3.Make a call to DPS outlining your situation. They may allow you to claim vagrancy(?) until you move back and have a permanent residence.
    4. File for your Florida or Arizona non-resident chl. They can send the application to your current address in the middle east.
    5. Protect your parental rights and make sure you get 50/50 custody of your teenage sons.
    6. Be prepared to lose all joint-owned money/possessions in court. Count yourself lucky that you escaped the marriage with your health and sanity intact. You will come out of this wiser, and stronger, and you will find somebody who appreciates you for the person you are.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have had similar experience and I know first hand family courts favor the woman in these situations. The judge is an egotist asshole and likely won't cut you any slack just because you're out of country for work. I can tell what kind of woman you're dealing with by your comment "I'm worried she will report me to DPS for not updating my residence". Here's what I recommend.
    1. Have your attorney petition the judge to physically take custody of any remaining firearms(I bet she's sold them all). If she hasn't sold them yet she will, and there is no recourse under Tx law.
    2. All communication should be through your attorney so she can't claim domestic violence based on verbal abuse(protective orders are easy to get, and there is no accountability for women who lie or make fraudulent claims to obtain them)
    3.Make a call to DPS outlining your situation. They may allow you to claim vagrancy(?) until you move back and have a permanent residence.
    4. File for your Florida or Arizona non-resident chl. They can send the application to your current address in the middle east.
    5. Protect your parental rights and make sure you get 50/50 custody of your teenage sons.
    6. Be prepared to lose all joint-owned money/possessions in court. Count yourself lucky that you escaped the marriage with your health and sanity intact. You will come out of this wiser, and stronger, and you will find somebody who appreciates you for the person you are.

Texas is a community property state. He should not lose everything. He should get half of everything. Your attorney should be able to get any stuff you are entitled to moved to a storage locker for you. ALthough they will charge you for it.

You should contact DPS and ask them for their advice. My experience with state agencies has been good. They typically are willing to help you navigate unfamiliar waters. Using a family member address would be best, but if its not available, just ask them what you should do.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    You need to send your judge a Christmas present.
    My Father-in-law remarried after his first wife died. It turns out his second wife was your typical gold digger. My father-in-law owned a savings and loan bank and was partners in a Holiday Inn Motel and Chevrolet dealership in Tyler at the time. After a couple of years he started having dementia issues. His new wife filed for divorce. During their separation and before the divorce was final, she sold his gun collection and furniture. She cleaned him out.

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I got my guns protected. First thing my lawyer did was ask the judge to order my guns secured in place, and that she must take reasonable care of them. Then my lawyer, a hunter, shared "reasonable care and cleaning instructions" to her.

Top Bottom