• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Here's one for the Hive.

I accepted a contract for a job in the ME and 3 days before my departure my wife had me served with divorce papers (totally surprised). Last week, I received from my lawyer the decree proposal that takes away my Houston residence - we never separated nor do I have any other property in Texas.

Im planning on coming back to Texas in early April do deal with some legal issues and look for a job come July when this one is over. What do I do about my CHL and Drivers license and change of address? I don't have a permanent Texas address anymore unless I can get my none too soon ex to allow it, which given the last 3.5 months is very unlikely.

I have an option to stay another 18 months but this place sucks.
    Capitol Armory ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You have a lawyer who should be answering such questions. Who is holding your possessions - esp. your firearms? If it's the soon-to-be-ex, they could be gone.

Divorce is not fun - and I can say that from experience. Your attorney should be working to protect your assets; I guarantee that her attorney will go after you like a wolf after a piece of meat.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    When my buddy was working in Japan he arranged to renew his driver's license and have it mailed to my house. The next time he was in town I handed him his TxDL. I did the same for his amateur radio renwal and my Brother's FCC license.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Here's one for the Hive.

I accepted a contract for a job in the ME and 3 days before my departure my wife had me served with divorce papers (totally surprised). Last week, I received from my lawyer the decree proposal that takes away my Houston residence - we never separated nor do I have any other property in Texas.

Im planning on coming back to Texas in early April do deal with some legal issues and look for a job come July when this one is over. What do I do about my CHL and Drivers license and change of address? I don't have a permanent Texas address anymore unless I can get my none too soon ex to allow it, which given the last 3.5 months is very unlikely.

I have an option to stay another 18 months but this place sucks.

What do you mean "takes away my residence"?

Just keep you current Texas address unless there is an order that requires you not live there. Then use your out if state address if that happens before you move back to Texas.

By the way, two things. This is not AR15.com, no hive here, and welcome to the forum

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My lawyer got the judge to order her to keep my firearms in the safe at the house. I had to hire a mover and rent a storage locker from public storage, not idea what I still own as I'm 9000 miles away.

Ive asked my lawyer,he doesn't know and I'm mostly concerned about my CHL. Neither licenses expire until 2015, but I'm worried about my ex wife perhaps turning me in for not notifying the address change. Yes, when I was in the Navy, my grandparents were my permanent residence until they passed away, then it was my wife.

It would feel weird to ask a friend if I could use their address. I'm a little long in the tooth for that now.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Sorry to hear all that Midlifer. All the best to you.

^^ thats what I was thinking.. GPtwins' house!

rofl1.gif

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol. Never seen that before.

In that case just keep it the same until you have a US address.

thats a great idea, but what does it do to my CHL? Lawyer has no idea, and at $400/ hour don't really want to pay him to learn. We looked into non-resident license but have to have a permanent residence according to DPS.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Since you're going to be out of country, it's not like you'll be carrying under the authority of your CHL anyway. That being said, leave it alone until you return and actually "move" to another address in texas.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Since you're going to be out of country, it's not like you'll be carrying under the authority of your CHL anyway. That being said, leave it alone until you return and actually "move" to another address in texas.

This, as of right now you are out of country and still have ties to the address on you license. Once you come back and get your own place get your change of address request in on both you DL and CHL as soon as possible, I know they give you a 30 day window to do it when you move so since you're out of country try not to stress about it. Also keep your chin up man chicks suck (not what I wanted to say but trying to keep it non vulgar).

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hey, it could be worse, amigo! The brother of a guy I worked with came home after working an oil job overseas to find that his house key didn't work. As he was trying to figure out what was going on, a strange guy opened the door and asked him just what-the-hell he was doing. Turned out that his wife had SOLD the house (and everything he owned) while he was overseas. The new owner was pretty shaken by that, as the sale was illegal and he might very well lose everything in the deal. The brother and the new owner talked about it a bit and the brother decided that everybody was better off if he just left things as they were. He divorced his wife (who had - not surprisingly - taken up residence with another man) and had his lawyer make sure that what she had taken was all she got.

n2pistols

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Hurst, Texas
    Here is some info but you should call the Texas Dept of Public Safety for more info.

GC §411.181. NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR NAME. (a) If a person who is a current license holder moves from any residence address stated on the license, if the name of the person is changed by marriage or otherwise, or if the person's status becomes inapplicable for purposes of the information required to be displayed on the license under Section 411.179, the person shall, not later than the 30th day after the date of the address, name, or status change, notify the department and provide the department with the number of the person's license and, as applicable, the person's:
    (1) former and new addresses;
    (2) former and new names; or
    (3) former and new status.

Good Luck.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My divorce was easy.

1. In Texas if you have NO children it is 50/50
    2. Let her get a lawyer and you DO NOT need one.
    3. Her lawyer will be able to do nothing since he has no counter part to earn his money.
    4. Take inventory / video / pictures of EVERYTHING with serial numbers in case she steals stuff.
    5. You'll need to sell your home.
    6. Anything you owned BEFORE the marriage is yours. Premarital possession.
    7. Wait.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Use one of those mailbox places. Its a good situation for the mobile. I have several clients who use this service, as they are permanent RVers who travel the country. You can have them forward your mail on a regular basis to your actual location. UPS will deliver pretty much anywhere as far as I know.

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My divorce was easy.

1. In Texas if you have NO children it is 50/50
    2. Let her get a lawyer and you DO NOT need one.
    3. Her lawyer will be able to do nothing since he has no counter part to earn his money.
    4. Take inventory / video / pictures of EVERYTHING with serial numbers in case she steals stuff.
    5. You'll need to sell your home.
    6. Anything you owned BEFORE the marriage is yours. Premarital possession.
    7. Wait.
    sure this would be great, but...
    1 I have 2 teenage boys
    2, 3. Not having a lawyer in any legal proceeding is not a got idea, and not having representation when you're 9000 mile away is just stupid. Totally not true, in fact she tried to get her fees assigned to me
    4. Was no time for that. I left 3 days after I got served. She drained the bank account the same day.
    5. Not at all, in fact the judge evicted me. I'm still on the deed and mortgage.
    6.Yes, but there's a $400k trust for my kids college, retirement accounts and "mixed" assets.
    7. The court, her lawyer and she aren't waiting. In fact if I don't go home at Easter, she'll get everything free and clear and I'll be in contempt.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You can hire a lawyer. I have a friend who does divorce. He is in Dallas though.

The court should give you special consideration since you are out of country.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom