• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Lots of robo-callers will deliver their spiel a few seconds (maybe 15 seconds!) after I answer the phone with "hello". But a lot of them never reply at all. What did they accomplish by calling and not offering their sales pitch?
    Was it a burgler casing the joint to see if maybe I wasn't home?
    Was it a message intended to only be left via voice mail?
    Was it to confirm that mine is really a valid phone number that they've discovered via auto-pilot & will call me back tomorrow with a live telemarketer?
    Or are they just trying to get me to use up the 1000 phone number capability of my phone blocker? :green:

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    OR, how about the ones that hang up immediately? I have heard that they are just logging valid numbers, so if you picked up, you can expect more calls, I guess. I usually call them right back. Usually, the numbers are "spoofed" and you get some poor unsuspecting soul. On the rare occasion that it does go back to the company, I remind them that the number is on the national do not call list. That tends to make them hang up immediately...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My favorites are the ones that hold silent for 5 seconds and just disconnect.

Worse yet the ones that leave me a voice mail with the first part cut off.

I quit blocking them as I am afraid the real owner of that number may try to call me. Many of the numbers are local and keep in mind I have been called by my own number twice now.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used to just hang up on robocalls, but now I listen to the end to hear if they give an option to "opt out".
    Who knows if it makes a difference or not.
    Makes me feel better, lol...

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    This site was on the news last night, claiming you could get $500 to $1500 for each call if you want to pursue it:
    https://robocallscash.net/
    The trick seems to be engaging the caller enough that you can get info on THEM to send a threatening letter and collect. I encourage everyone to at least try.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Subscribed to Verizon’s CallFilter in desperation, was getting 10+ Robo calls a day on the cell.

Two months now of the paid service and down to one or two a week at most.

Makes you wonder who’s the biggest scammer- the minute you start paying, the crap stops....

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    This site was on the news last night, claiming you could get $500 to $1500 for each call if you want to pursue it:
    https://robocallscash.net/
    The trick seems to be engaging the caller enough that you can get info on THEM to send a threatening letter and collect. I encourage everyone to at least try.

Only cost $47 to get the kit....

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When I don't recognize the number, I'll answer but will not say anything. I just wait and see what happens. Most of the time, the recording device that's gonna' give me a spiel, will not begin until it detects audio from the person being called.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    As mentioned by Austin in other threads, I started using Nomorobo and have been happy with the results on my home phone. It's free on my line through Spectrum. I believe they have a pay service for other phones but I don't get too many in my main cell number, so I don't have a need for it there. I do get several a day on my Tracfone number, however I don't carry it or even have it on most of the time, so every so often I'll just turn it on and clear the messages. I've been using that number for businesses instead of giving out my cell number.
    I also just recently set up a Google Voice number for my main cell to use the same way as the the Tracfone, but besides sending text to my wife asking if her husband is home, I really haven't used it anywhere else yet. And yes, she's knows it's me messing with her.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If I get an Indian live person they will ask for someone who does not exist at my number.

I will answer “ Behnchod, is that you my friend?” And answer every question with that. Had one man go into a jihadist screaming fit and threaten to blow up my home.

You can substitute Behnchod with Madarchod and get the same reaction.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I have a program on my phone, that I created my own little call blocker with. If the caller is not in my contacts, it will answer, wait 1 sec and hang up. This saves me from having my voice mail fill up with crap.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Lots of robo-callers will deliver their spiel a few seconds (maybe 15 seconds!) after I answer the phone with "hello". But a lot of them never reply at all. What did they accomplish by calling and not offering their sales pitch?

Or are they just trying to get me to use up the 1000 phone number capability of my phone blocker? :green:
    The manned call centers use robo dialers to dial hundreds or maybe thousands of calls an hour. When they get a live person on the line, the robo dialer just keeps dialing, but the human can't talk to you until they get done with the previous caller.

BTW, a lightning strike near us took out my Digitone call blocker, so I ordered another one. Doh, turns out the lightning just burned out the power adapter. I just plugged the new adapter in to the old device and it started working. That was kind of a relief because I didn't want to have to go back and program back all the numbers and area codes I had blocked.

Yeah, the lightning took out one of our DirecTV receivers too.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I get so many bill collection and scam calls looking for the previous owner of the number I just turned off the ringer and the answering machine got full a year or so ago. I probably ought to just cancel it.

On our cells we dont answer unknown or unlisted numbers and we block every number and unsolicited text.

One thing I did do was, about a year ago, when i was cleaning guns I absent minded enough to.grab the phone when the caller I'd flashed on the tv. It was Mr so n so from the IRS telling me i owed money and needed to pay now so he would call off the FBI swat team staging to arrest me. Since I had the guns right there I slammed a couple mags in racked a slide or two and said I've got a thousand round of ammo and lots of guns, send lots of single men.

Silence....click...no call back.

If it wasn't for the Jamaican accent I might have ran out and got a cash card to pay them with.

Last edited:

para_bellum

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 29, 2019
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I use "Dialer One" as my phone app. It allows blocking of calls, must simply press down on the number that just called and then select the blocking category (eg. spam, marketing etc.) Pretty easy.

I don't answer calls unless it's in my contact list. Real people will leave a message (eg. a bank, insurance company), spammers never say anything.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I stopped the robocall car warrantee calls pretty quickly. I'd confirm I wanted to speak with a representative. When they answered, I'd go into my Larry the Cable Guy voice, and ask about getting a warrantee on my 47 Ford pickup. Calls stopped after about 2 weeks, guess they flagged the number and put it as a DNC.
    Haven't had as much luck with other calls, using my Simpson's Fat Tony voice. "I wanted to let you know the boss is um, getting, you know, upset about you interrupting his...meetings. I think he wants to, um, pay you a visit, you know."

Top Bottom