no shell enclosed for md & ny

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by DCortez, Jul 10, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Looking at the old cases, I saw a sticker saying "No shell enclosed for MD & NY". Is this a choking hazard in those states? Seems "Not a Toy" sticker would have worked better.

Anyone know the story behind this?

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am a bit behind on the history, but MD and NY used to require that fired casings be included with all handguns sold new. The sticker you saw, I suppose, was so wholesalers would not ship to those states.

I wrote "used to" because I think MD rescinded their law, but I am not sure.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't new guns all come with one fired case now days? The sigma my cousin just bought had one in it, I think the Glock that another guy bought had it as well. Is this not a requirement?

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I think the S&W's I have came with a casing and Kimbers did not. Sticker was on a Kimber case, the S&W cases do not have the sticker.

5. jay524288

jay524288 Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Maryland (I don't know about New York) wanted a fired case from every new gun sold in that state. They then put the ballistics info from that case in their ballistics database.

I think they just stopped doing this.

So, if you bought a gun in MD, you wouldn't get the fired case. It would go to the state police.

Wikipedia has some info: Ballistic fingerprinting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Required by whom?

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Kinda slipped my mind ... Kimber is in Yonkers, NY.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Sorry I forgot to add that part. The Law Either state or federal I'm assuming the State Of Texas.

9. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas does not require a shell enclosed. New York requires one and I know MD used to. Don't know if they still do. The sticker on the handgun case signifies that a case is not enclosed, so don't sell them in those states.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks.