• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Looking at the old cases, I saw a sticker saying "No shell enclosed for MD & NY". Is this a choking hazard in those states? Seems "Not a Toy" sticker would have worked better.

Anyone know the story behind this?
    Military Camp

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am a bit behind on the history, but MD and NY used to require that fired casings be included with all handguns sold new. The sticker you saw, I suppose, was so wholesalers would not ship to those states.

I wrote "used to" because I think MD rescinded their law, but I am not sure.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't new guns all come with one fired case now days? The sigma my cousin just bought had one in it, I think the Glock that another guy bought had it as well. Is this not a requirement?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas does not require a shell enclosed. New York requires one and I know MD used to. Don't know if they still do. The sticker on the handgun case signifies that a case is not enclosed, so don't sell them in those states.

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Texas does not require a shell enclosed. New York requires one and I know MD used to. Don't know if they still do. The sticker on the handgun case signifies that a case is not enclosed, so don't sell them in those states.

I don't think that's quite right. I don't think it has anything to do with whether the gun can be sold in a particular state.

All the guns are shipped from the factory with the fired case, but in NY and MD, the case is removed before the buyer receives the gun. In those states, the case is sent to the police or whoever is responsible for their ballistic database.

I think the sticker is there to let consumers in those states know that they aren't getting the case. Kind of like the "this page is intentionally left blank" page in various manuals.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't think that's quite right. I don't think it has anything to do with whether the gun can be sold in a particular state.

All the guns are shipped from the factory with the fired case, but in NY and MD, the case is removed before the buyer receives the gun. In those states, the case is sent to the police or whoever is responsible for their ballistic database.

I think the sticker is there to let consumers in those states know that they aren't getting the case. Kind of like the "this page is intentionally left blank" page in various manuals.

I do believe you are right. ;)

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am a bit behind on the history, but MD and NY used to require that fired casings be included with all handguns sold new. The sticker you saw, I suppose, was so wholesalers would not ship to those states.

I wrote "used to" because I think MD rescinded their law, but I am not sure.

Md. did indeed dump the "ballistics profile" program. The bean counters realized that after a 5 (?) year program, not a single crime was ever solved
    through it's use. The cost of establishing and maintaining the program was close to 1 million a year.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    So that is why the the empty is still in the box in Texas

Texas does not require one but some manufacturers include one with each gun just to standardize their procedures and to insure that none of their weapons reach states that require a case without one.

Some makers like Kimber, choose to include cases only with weapons going to states that require them. Even though they test fire each pistol, they only have to track the cases for the ones going to case required state.

These are state laws not federal. YET.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Wow. Another stupid law on the books. "Ballistics Profile Program"? I guess I will need some polishing compound and a dremel tool to "modify" the chamber and bolt face of my weapons just in case "big brother" thinks he wants to track fired cases. And we wonder why this country is so far in debt.... MG

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow. Another stupid law on the books. "Ballistics Profile Program"? I guess I will need some polishing compound and a dremel tool to "modify" the chamber and bolt face of my weapons just in case "big brother" thinks he wants to track fired cases. And we wonder why this country is so far in debt.... MG

All you have to do is shoot it a lot. Or shoot it and not clean it. Or do nothing, since this stuff is notoriously unreliable.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

Or more insidious. Pick up a bunch of bass at the range and leave it the scene of the crime.

Seems like a great way to get the police on the wrong trail by an intelligent bad guy.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Or more insidious. Pick up a bunch of bass at the range and leave it the scene of the crime.

Seems like a great way to get the police on the wrong trail by an intelligent bad guy.

I would add ... with gloves

j/k, I wouldn't jack with the cops trying to get a turd off the street

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Uhh, this isn't done in Texas.

And why would anyone here advocate methods for crminals to get away with crime? (even though some of those methods are silly at best)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom