• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Drove 124 miles to meet a guy selling a certian skateboard(promised my son this particular style if he did well in school). He had it up for sale for two months for $275 asked if he'd take $150 and he agreed. He didn't argue or ask for more $. I agreed to meet him at a designated time and place, his choice.
    Called this morning letting him know we were on our way, he texts back saying "thanks for letting me know", he even sends additional photos I ask for. Within 15 miles text him that we are near, no response. We were there 30 min. early so figured he was busy. At agreed time I texted him what I was driving and where parked. No response. Waited for 30 min. texted if he was behind schedule or did he change his mind. No response, waited an additional 15 min no response. Drove off wasting five hours of my life over an idiot's idea of a joke.
    I could understand if he changed his mind or sold it to someone else but have the courtesy to let me know. I have personally kept my word and sold things to people after making a deal even though I was offered more. I do not blame others for taking the cash, thats their doing, but let me know if that is the case.
    Sorry for the rant, its that my son was looking to getting his reward. He understands that there are some idiots in this world.
    Before you all think I'm also an idiot, the board runs about $280 plus shipping and the closest place they have a dealer is in Colorado.
    Have a better day than I did.
    Military Camp

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I feel you man. People just can't seem to honor a basic deal any more. My wife often will buy or sell various things on the local 'Beg Barter Buy' boards on Facebook. It has become such a running joke about whether or not people will actually follow through on the deal that she literally has resorted to 'it'll be on the porch, stick the money under the mat.' So far nothing stolen, just a TON of people who live IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD who cannot seem to follow through on a deal. Excuse after excuse when called on it, of course. One was pretty comical, the lady either 'forgot', 'was busy' or whatever else for three days, and literally lived one block over. So my wife grabbed the item, walked to her front door and was back home in less than 5 minutes.

I'm sorry you wasted the time and expense on a goose chase. The old adage unfortunately held true - if it's too good to be true...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2017
    Cypress
    Sorry to hear that...it's happened to me a few times, for stuff other than guns.
    I have not had a no show for anyone selling or buying ammo or guns with me though.

Sounds like you were dealing with a younger flakier person selling a skateboard.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After 1/2 of my life on the streets, I don't trust ANYONE! Been told that was paranoid. On the contrary, it's simply realistic!

Flash

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    I did not mind the drive just the lack of communication. Things happen, tomorrow is a new day. Hope you all had a good Christmas with your family and may you all have a wonderful new year.

Charlie Primero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    Forest Country
    People just can't seem to honor a basic deal any more.

The ones who get me are the people who ask me to drive 40 miles and show it to them.

Last time when I was selling an old car for $1,800...

"I'm a single mother in [town 40 miles away] and I don't have a ride. I need you to drive up here and show me this car so I can see if I wanna buy it".

Others:

"Can you hold that lawn mower for two weeks until I get paid"?

"I know you are asking $200 for this industrial shop fan, but would you take $30 for it"?

People who show up for a test-drive with no money. I learned to demand they show me the money first.

I sold the old car to a "Broker" who snatches up good deals for used car lots. He handed me $1,800 in a huge roll of Twenties saying: "It's all there".

When I started counting it out on the hood, he tried to distract me while he slipped onto the hood the $200 he held back.

The worst: People who show up, agree on a price, then say: "I need to call my Brother-in-Law to come over here with the money".

I've spent an hour sitting in my garage listening to these jackholes blather while we wait for Brother Bubba to show up. No more. Now I just tell them "No. Leave. Now. Goodbye."

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Once I made the mistake of listing something on Craigslist.
    Clearly stated NO TRADES. CASH ONLY.
    No, I do not want to trade for a fender off of a '74 Vega and a nine laying hens.

Reactions: MTA

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    10+ years ago I was selling an old pickup at my house. People would call, be very interested and never show up. Even had a few calls to "hold" the truck for a day then they got mad when I wouldn't without at least $100 in my hand. So people not showing up doesn't surprise me anymore and with someone getting robbed/shot during a transaction almost weekly in the Dallas area it's become a risky situation.

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    I hate people who try to take advantage of others. One time while working out of town my wife's car overheats on her way to Del Rio. At a mechanics shop in SA they charge her $80 for a new thermostat. She drives to Del Rio and car overheats again. Stops at mechanic and is told thermostat is bad. She tells them she just paid $80 for a new one. They showed her an old one that was installed and replaced it with new one saying it only costs$20. She went back to SA mechanic demands her money back and they only give her $20 back saying the rest was labor. They are lucky I was out of town and to this day my wife will not tell me which mechanic shop it was.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It is not impossible that the person had an emergency arise. Not likely, but not impossible.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I drove to Louisiana to buy a Porsche.
    Price agreed upon, kept phone contact the entire way there.
    Took it for a test drive, and when we got back to his house told him, "I'll take it". Then he claimed somebody offered him $3,000.00 more and wouldn't sell it for the agreed upon price.
    I took my cash and went home.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I drove to Louisiana to buy a Porsche.
    Price agreed upon, kept phone contact the entire way there.
    Took it for a test drive, and when we got back to his house told him, "I'll take it". Then he claimed somebody offered him $3,000.00 more and wouldn't sell it for the agreed upon price.
    I took my cash and went home.

Had the same thing happen.
    One dude at work is notorious for this. He tried to burn me once. Once.
    Word got around and now he couldn't sell water in the Sahara.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Had the same thing happen.
    One dude at work is notorious for this. He tried to burn me once. Once.
    Word got around and now he couldn't sell water in the Sahara.
    Yep, his name was mud on the Porshe forum afterwards, and he disappeared.
    I ended getting a better car later anyway, so it turned out to be good fortune after all.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    One trick an old guy taught me was to always have a large amount of cash on you.
    When somebody goes to crying about selling something pop out the cash and buy it right then.
    Many times they bite and you get a good deal.
    If you wait they'll mull it over and renege on the deal.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was too pissed off.
    He had ample opportunity to tell me while I was driving to his house, when I met him, and during the test drive.
    He was just trying to get more money. Seeing i drove all that way, he figured I wouldn't want to go back empty handed.
    **** him....

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I was too pissed off.
    He had ample opportunity to tell me while I was driving to his house, when I met him, and during the test drive.
    He was just trying to get more money. Seeing i drove all that way, he figured I wouldn't want to go back empty handed.
    **** him....

I'd be angry too.
    That's exactly what he was doing.

Some people are just dumb as a box of rocks.
    I sold a porcelain figurine on E-bay. The description clearly stated NO PERSONAL CHECKS.
    Auction passed. Buyers sends ...yep....a personal check. I cash the check and wait a full three weeks for check to clear before shipping. Buyer contacts me bitching. Tough shit. You were told not to send a check and you did it anyways.

Top Bottom