• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Just wanted to know if it is possible for sound /music to play on a PC w/o a soundcard ? Bought an old PC running XP pro. 1 1/2 yrs. ago just for working on and music files. The PC went down ,crashed and would not boot up period. I gave up 6 mo's ago and last nite I managed to get it to boot up again, but had no sound. It kept telling me there was no sound card installed. I looked and all I saw was a Video and modem card . I'm new to PC's somewhat. System says AMD 1800 - 1.15 GHZ. - 512 ram. Other than that ,I did not have the Nero programs they loaded at time of sale. I only had the copy of XP- pro they gave me to use in case of trouble. I don't know what MB it has? Is this possible ? Here is a few pics of the PC inside and out.
    View attachment 1455

View attachment 1456
    Guns International

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    It looks like it may have a minimal sound card built in from your pictures. In fact it looks like you have speakers plugged into it with that green plug. If you are getting no sound you may need to go out to the manufacturers website and get the drivers for the sound.

If the built-in sound card is no longer working then you may need to add a card.

It appears that it is a MSI board and somewhere on it, it should have the type or model number.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Jsbcats

Thanks for taking a gander at it, I will open her up again and get info on the MB. It sat for 6 or 7 mo's and back then , it would not load Windows XP. Got to messing with it a few nites ago and the damned thing loaded up XP but no sound and no NERO was found. LOL....Thanks a bunch. Will look up numbers on board and go from there. Yes, there are speakers connected but I'm used to seeing sound cards. O/S frame of mine. Thanks again.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Try reinstalling your drivers. I lost sound on my laptop when doing a fresh install of XP. You can look up the model # on the manufacturers website and then download the appropriate drivers.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Ancient al-right

Yes it is, Ancient. Couldn't find what I needed to download drivers without them wanting a credit card. There were many and then sometimes got message that a virus was trying to make a home on this damn thing. Had to un-plug from line quick LOL..This is just being used for the kids so they will stay off the newer PC., Which by todays standards is al-ready Ancient. I went to SAN ANGELO and got a cheap Yamaha card. Got sound now. I think the built in sound is dead. LOL...Thanks for the help and advice. I feel better now.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Ubuntu

LOL...well if the kids mess this up , I'll definetly go that route next time. They spend a lot of time on it after school, I don't get on line till after 10 sometimes or much later. Thanks Eli.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    According to your pics, that board definitely has an audio card built into it, and looks like the speakers are plugged into it. Sorry if I'm restating the obvious, I just glanced through your posts. ;) Anyways, easiest thing to do is look at the board and see if there is a model name/number silk screened on the board. It will be a fairly short name/number, like K7T, K7T Deluxe, or something like that (I just made those up). Anyways, find that name, go to the manufacturer's website (MSI I assume?), and look for a "Support" section which is where the drivers will be. There should be a bundle of drivers probably called "chipset drivers" or they may have a list of individual drivers for the built in audio and video cards and other stuff. If you still can't find it, post up the model name and I'll try to find them for you.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Bankerfox A. BEWARE !!

Thanks Sig-Fiend, already solved the sound card problem. The only thing wrong now is the copy of XP-Pro is just that, a copy. I can't download the SP-2 for it because MS tells me its (of course) a pirated copy of XP. The virus protection I have on this machine using Vista is registered already and won't load on the old XP machine. 2 nites ago I got an Anti-virus program that got on the XP machine trying to get me to fix the virus's with a program I didn't load. The virus's were 2, Bankerfox A. and Win 32 / Nugel.E. Well, I was lucky that the copy given me was able to let me format and start over again fresh I hope. So far so good. I remember back when you bought a machine you were always getting the original Disc for Windows. Nowadays they give recovery Disc's or just a copy of what they sell on Used machines. I'm able to get by so far, but on the XP machine i'm prone to get attacked again someday. Any advice ?

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Well, other have already called it. You have a sound card.
    Windows is really really good about losing drivers. Had a computer at work. Was my bosses PC, kept losing the printer driver. Had to do a hard shut down and leave it off for a min, 60 seconds that is. And turn it back on. Doing a restart would not bring the drivers back, Less than 60 seconds would not clear the ram and force windows to reload fresh.

As someone mentioned, try Linux, They said Ubuntu, I recommend Linux Mint.
    Based off Ubuntu but has more player codecs in it, does a lot more out of the box than Ubuntu does.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    As someone mentioned, try Linux, They said Ubuntu, I recommend Linux Mint.
    Based off Ubuntu but has more player codecs in it, does a lot more out of the box than Ubuntu does.
    Ubuntu is entirely 'free' out of the box, Mint isn't. If Ubuntu is installed, adding "ubuntu-restricted-extras" will add all the codecs and such.

Eli

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom